Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 10:36:14 PM EDT
So I have been looking for the necessary screws and templates to do my AMD screw build. I have found that i can spend $20 for enough screws to do 10 builds or there is one crazy person asking $20 for the screws to do 1 build. People are also charging an insane amount of money for templates. Does anyone have both of these items that they would be willing to part with for a REASONBLE price?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#1]
To make templates for the trunnion and rear block, just use a post-it note.  Line up 2 edges of the post-it with 2 edges of the part.  Then rub over the holes with the side of a pencil.  Cut out the holes and compare your templates to your parts.  Make any adjustments necessary.  As a bonus, the post-its are self-adhesive.

On the trunnion, I slide the top edge of the paper against the groove for the top rail, and one edge lines up with the front of the trunnion.

For the rear blocks or stock tangs, I use the groove for the top rail and whatever other reference point is convenient.

When I first started drilling the holes, I usually started with a smaller bit.  Then I opened the hole with a file to make any adjustments.  Now, I can usually get it right the first time.

You can also try scanning your parts on a flatbed scanner.  Print the image in 1:1 scale and check the hole locations against your parts before drilling.

If you're looking for a basic AK receiver template, AceArms has a really decent one available for free download on their site:

www.acearms.com

Here are a few links to buttonhead cap screw suppliers. You should be able to find these at local hardware stores like Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, etc. If they do not have them in stock, they should be able to order them for you. A box of 50 to 100 should be $4 to $7 accordingly.

www.thread-rite.com/unbrako/button.htm
www.fastener-express.com/subcat.asp?0=207
mjvail.com/holokrome/bhcs.html
www.midwestsocket.com/socket-head-cap-screws.htm
www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/SSC.cfm
www.earnestmachine.com/cap_screws.htm
www.circlebolt.com/socket.htm
www.nutty.com/bsc.html

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate your help and I am already aware of most everything you said but those are not good options for me which is why I posted this.

I know there are ways I can make a template. I was just hoping someone had one for an AMD because that would give me a higher degree of confidence. I am totally opposed to paying someone $10 or even $5 to mail me a single piece of paper.

As for the screws, the problem is that i need no less than 3 sizes of screw, and one size of nut. 4 boxes of 100 comes out to well over $20 (especially after shipping) most places. My local stores don't carry the screws I need. The most I need of any one screw is about 8. I don't want to pay $20-30 for 400 fasteners when I only need about $1 worth (20) to complete the thing. Besides which, most places online don't have the right sizes. Either they don't have metric at all or they don't have the lengths I need and I really don't relish the thought of spending forever grinding screws down.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I appreciate your help and I am already aware of most everything you said but those are not good options for me which is why I posted this.

I know there are ways I can make a template. I was just hoping someone had one for an AMD because that would give me a higher degree of confidence. I am totally opposed to paying someone $10 or even $5 to mail me a single piece of paper.

As for the screws, the problem is that i need no less than 3 sizes of screw, and one size of nut. 4 boxes of 100 comes out to well over $20 (especially after shipping) most places. My local stores don't carry the screws I need. The most I need of any one screw is about 8. I don't want to pay $20-30 for 400 fasteners when I only need about $1 worth (20) to complete the thing. Besides which, most places online don't have the right sizes. Either they don't have metric at all or they don't have the lengths I need and I really don't relish the thought of spending forever grinding screws down.

Have you tried ACE Hardware? Thats where I bought my screws.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
For the scews, look no further than the EE!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=221243

Marc is selling all the screws you need for a build in one package.  The cost is a bit more than what the scews cost individually, but you can never get them individually, and it saves a lot of time and hassle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]
THAT is exactly what I am after! He is charging about $2 more than I wanted to pay, but  someone else was selling the same thing online for $10 more than that so I think I may just have to buy them.

Thanks,
Derek
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Derek,

I just bought a set from him, and received it today.  I just decided that it was worth the couple of extra bucks to not have to chase around town after the screws.  

What part of Washington do you live in?  Ballard boy here.

Doug
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered some screws :-)

Sadly I'm stuck in Bellevue. Not that I'd rather be in Ballard (I work on the eastside) but I would like to live somewhere nice like Snoqualmie.

It's too bad they don't let us have SBRs here. I'd really like to build an actual AMD clone SBR and not just a pistol.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top