Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/24/2006 11:58:07 AM EDT
let's just say that in theory I had a Global receiver and a AMD-65 (unissued) complete kit inbound...

how would you build it?

reason being, that either it will have to be a pistol build, a rifle build, or an SBR rifle build due to the barrel length/muzzle break.

which brings a few questions for each:

1: if its a pistol, I'm guessing really all you 'have' to do is remove the front vert grip and put a blocked off rear trunion of some flavor on it....right?  since its a virgin receiver, that's a possibility, correct?  and what suggestions on a rear trunion in order to do this?  finally....is it kinda worthless to have a "pistol" with a 12.5" barrel?

2: for a rifle, you'd need to either get a replacement muzzle break or the adapter to make in 16" total length....pros/cons of either?

3: doing the paperwork is not only a bit of a hassle, but the expense and etc prohibits this for me, at least.

thanks in advance for your opinions/guidance.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
It's only 200 bucks.  I say do the SBR.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The difference would be less then $200.00.  If you don't go the SBR rout, you will have to spend "extra" on the parts to make it legal in one of the other configurations.  Just a guess, but I think you are really looking at $100 to $125 extra.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
1. Pistols are worthless. Either weld on the long brake or SBR it.

2. SBR it.

3. If you can in your area, SBR it.

Seriously, you really are looking at like $100 extra since you don't have to buy compliance parts. Besides, it's an unissued kit. Treat it right!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]
4.  Build as Pistol ---  SBR in future when finances allow
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
4.  Build as Pistol ---  SBR in future when finances allow

+1,

The AMD-65 pistols are a hoot to shoot they are great attention getters at the range, worthless?...Hardly.     Practical?  well depends they certainly would be mighty imposing in a CQB situation.

Have fun now, then later if you decide SBR it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 12:09:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is what I've done to mine so far...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Pistols are worthless, (IMHO)  save the extra expense of buying all the 922r compliance parts and SBR it.  Then at least you will have a great AK that is the perfect size.  CQB work with a AK pistol.....impractical to say the least.  I wouldn't ever build a AK pistol, that s*@t is for the Matrix movies, put a 2" extention on, then you still have a cool shooter that is practical.  Just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks for all the input so far, gentlemen.
I really appreciate it.

this is my first step into building, so trying to talk out a little trial and error, rather than screw something up (or redo 9 times).

damn yall are tempting me on the SBR....\
hadnt thought about money spent to comply versus stepping up a bit and doing papers on it...
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#9]
The rear trunion I got from a guy Hoplo64 on gunsnet.com. Really nice bit 'o kit!

I cant really tell you how accurate it is yet, I got it mostely built just before the 4th of july. every thing you see except for the akm gas tube and upper hand guard that is on it now. I've put 700 rounds through it mostly rapid/bump fire.....  I can tell you it is a kick in the ass to shoot!!! At the last gunshow I went to I bought a siderail I'm gonna mount a reddot with!! After I got it built I kinda feel guilty because it was a perfect unissued kit..... Now I kinda wished I held on to it and bought a beater amd kit to do the pistol build.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The difference would be less then $200.00.  If you don't go the SBR rout, you will have to spend "extra" on the parts to make it legal in one of the other configurations.  Just a guess, but I think you are really looking at $100 to $125 extra.  

IIRC, 922r does not apply to pistols.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Pistols are worthless, (IMHO)  save the extra expense of buying all the 922r compliance parts and SBR it.  Then at least you will have a great AK that is the perfect size.  CQB work with a AK pistol.....impractical to say the least.  I wouldn't ever build a AK pistol, that s*@t is for the Matrix movies, put a 2" extention on, then you still have a cool shooter that is practical.  Just my 2 cents...

Worthless?  yea ok whatever.  Ever shoot one?

Save the extra expense of buying compliance parts and SBR it?    False economy there, $200.00 for a piece of paper and a gun that is registered to the nines for a few less inches of barrell length?  No thanks.  Compliance parts are quite a bit cheaper than that plus no paperwork hassles of the SBR.

CQB work, why the heck not?  when those zombies come a calling that pistol would sure fill the bill.

Good luck on your endeavor, the AMD is a great piece
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I say buid it as a rifle, with an extended brake.
All that SBR paperwork and wait are a huge hassle and there is no guaranty that it will be approved.

This modified AMD is my favorite, to shoot, of all my rifles except for one.

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
All that SBR paperwork and wait are a huge hassle and there is no guaranty that it will be approved.

www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Final_Rt_side.jpg

That is a beautiful build! nice work!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm seeing a lot of AMD kits around lately. Yeah, I need one of those too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The rear trunion I got from a guy Hoplo64 on gunsnet.com. Really nice bit 'o kit!
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/Fistybum/pistolkit005.jpg
I cant really tell you how accurate it is yet, I got it mostely built just before the 4th of july. every thing you see except for the akm gas tube and upper hand guard that is on it now. I've put 700 rounds through it mostly rapid/bump fire.....  I can tell you it is a kick in the ass to shoot!!! At the last gunshow I went to I bought a siderail I'm gonna mount a reddot with!! After I got it built I kinda feel guilty because it was a perfect unissued kit..... Now I kinda wished I held on to it and bought a beater amd kit to do the pistol build.....

On the inside bottom of the trunnion do you have a shim that has an obvious pin you can see from the underside?......signed...having trouble.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Final_Rt_side.jpg

Great looking AMD, heres my AMD
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#17]
continued thanks for all the info.

just so I know and can make a note....where did yall get the extended breaks?  are they one piece units or are you getting the adapters?

THANKS
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top