Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/9/2003 11:45:43 AM EDT
(I've got an IM out to C.BOB but thought I would -  again -post my ignorance in public !!)

I've found an AMD-65 and I've got to admit my attraction to this thing is the LOOKS !!  Should piss off any liberal within sight and without firing a shot.

Here's what I've been told:

OOW receiver  -  wonder if that means I should have the receiver heat-treated ??

The parts kit is Hungarian
------------------------------------------------

Anyone know of anything good/bad about this gun ??  Any problem with mags ??  Anything at all.

Thanks......  5sub

Edited to add:  Did confirm the actual barrel is about 12.25 and IS chromed lined.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
According to Masami's AK book ( pages 62-65 ) Only the AMP-69 ( Gernade launching Version of the AMD-65 ) had the Gas shut-off valve, spring-loaded shock-absorbing folding stock, and spring-loaded plastic handguard.

Standard Versions of the AMD-65 did not have these features.

The pictures in Masami's book show the AMD-65 to have the standard AKM gas block.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#3]
AIM has them for $599.95
AMD-65
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
and if you're interested in having someone build one up for you..there appears to be good builders right now

kits are $119.99 AMD-65 KITS

seems like FAC might have the kits also
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
and if you're interested in having someone build one up for you..there appears to be good builders right now

Nice price on those kits! If one weren't overly concerned with authenticity, www.ak-103.com/ has a brake over 4" long (3rd one on their Parts page) that would bring the rifle up to legal length.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice price on those kits! If one weren't overly concerned with authenticity, www.ak-103.com/ has a brake over 4" long (3rd one on their Parts page) that would bring the rifle up to legal length.

FireC., thanks for the link on those kits.

W.Wes, I'm one of those guys not overly concerned with authenticity - at least on this gun.
------------------------------------------------

Since the AMD-65 I saw is built on an OOW receiver I guess I would go to them for another receiver.  Any idea of whether 'hardening' is a problem with this receiver ??  Any suggestions as to who might do the build ??
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Every report on the AMD I've ever read claims it to be the ugliest and worst AK varient ever made. The true Chauchat of Kalashnikovs. But I suppose any AK collection wouldnt be complete with out it.

Now personaly I think it needs a movie with Dolph Lungrand to get its image up but thats just me....
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Every report on the AMD I've ever read claims it to be the ugliest and worst AK varient ever made.

R. Gray, ugly be in the eyes of the beholder but "worst"........worst is another story.

I've cruised the net but can't find anything negative.  Do you remember where/what claims you read - anything specific ??
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I have read that the AMD-65 that are built by Gordon Technologies have had the OOW receiver fully heat treated.

Their website is www.gordontechnologies.com.  There is not much information on their website, but you can contact them for more information.

I believe FAC or AIM is distributing the AMD-65 for GT.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#11]
5subslr5, if you feel the need..

By all means, get one of these built up. I can't really afford it but I'm almost on it.

That parts kit is worth twice it's cost in individual parts alone. I've read a few bad things regarding AMD's but none would stop me from building my own.(the only really negative things I've seen came from writers--not infantrymen)

Kind of a bummer not to have the original brake... but...

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Not talking about quality, and I'm not talking about this semi-auto copy.

Janes Defense states of the AMD "Ugliest and least successful of the many Kalashnikov varients, the Hungarian AMD has a flimsy folding stock. Like the Rumanian AKs, it has a forward pistol grip.

Howad C. Ezell says of it "The Hungarians have come out with another varient of the AKM, The AMD has a short barrle with a large muzzle break. It has a single strut steel folding stock which provides little practical use. The plastic fore grip and the metal forend are the same as those on the standard Hungarian modification of the AKM. Because of the relatively low energy of the 7.62 x 39mm cartridge, recoil with this weapon is probably not excessive, but the muzzle blast is probably very high. Of all the AKM varients, the AMD is the least successful and probably the least useful. The AMD is 33.5 inches long with stock fixed and 2.35 inches long when the stock is folded. The barrel is 12.6 inches long"

You dig?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#13]
More or less the same quotes I read.

Gotta love these two:

"Ugliest and least successful"---"Jane"

"Because of the relatively low energy of the 7,62x39 cartridge, recoil with this weapon is probably not excessive, but muzzle blast is probably very high. Of the AKM variants, the AMD is the least successful and probably the least useful."---"Ezell"

Anyone catch the "excessive use" of 'probably'?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:17:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:59:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
wes, at bulletfest you will get a chance to stand next to a full auto amd-63 with the short bbl. and that stupid brake.

after listening to it, there will be no "probably" about it.

the amd-63 is the most obnoxiously loud kalashnikov i have heard.

i have seen greywolf's amd-63 clone, built by gary guccione (he has since sold it and another board member is the lucky owner), and it is beautiful.

I can dig that! I just found the quotes a bit, well, "speculative"

Actually, I always thought the AMD's were really neat, just a bummer with the bbl. length and "legal" varieties like AIM and others are selling. I've heard they BARK!

Looking very forward to experiencing it!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:20:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
wes, at bulletfest you will get a chance to stand next to a full auto amd-63 with the short bbl. and that stupid brake.

after listening to it, there will be no "probably" about it.

the amd-63 is the most obnoxiously loud kalashnikov i have heard.

i have seen greywolf's amd-63 clone, built by gary guccione (he has since sold it and another board member is the lucky owner), and it is beautiful.

I am that lucky owner and I can verify everything Campy says. "Loud" is an understatement, hehe. The only weapon other than my Serbu BFG .50 that muzzle blast crazy I've shot is a FA HK51 (7.62x51, 9" barrel) my buddy has.....but oh what fun!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#17]
When I first posted this topic I didn't know a kit existed for the AMD-65 or anything else about the gun for that matter.  However, I did believe it was beautiful in an ugly sort of way.

I'm going to buy a kit and an OOW receiver and have this rifle built.

I've acquired an SAR-2S and a SAM-7 (comes in to my dealer today) and this AMD-65 is likely to be my fourth AK as I've found a 98% Krebs gun, with good accessories and at an attractive price.  

(Time for old 5sub to convert something on the AR side to cash so I can consider what my fifth and sixth AK's are gonna be.  Now don't go into hysterical laughter but I've set my limit at six (6) AK's  !!)
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I really wish someone would make a copy of the "snake brake" for the AMD only 4" long for a legal 16". Anybody know of one??
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I like the AMD-65 from what I have seen there are seven variations of just the 65 model alone-I carried a AMD-65/5 for a couple of months and I thought it was the best short barrel AK in 7.62x39 I have ever seen or used.

The stock whilst short and strange in apperance I found superior to the underfolders and the east german side folder-I like the chinese side folder and the russian ones best though.

I found it no problem to engage man sized silhouettes out to 400m from the sitting position.

As reliability goes I found at least on the /5 model no problems whatsoever and the 2 that I have seen and instructed on have at least 3000 rounds through each thus far with no hiccups.

Only the grenade launching model has the shock absorbing stock and sliding front foregrip and an interesting side mounted optical sight for grenade launching on the very few of that model I have seen.

I think that the AMD-65 is an excellent weapon (and at least the later models do not deserve the moniker of being the poorest of the AK family). Everyone who I have instructed in it's use was impressed with it and it is great for vehicular usage with it. With the stock folded it sat fine on my lap and comes up quicker than any M4 I have ever messed with.

It does have a few bad points. In full auto it is more difficult to control but I find no major problems out to 25m with about a 6 round burst and about out to 50 with a 2-3 round burst. Its full auto rate is a little faster than the AKM. Its muzzleblast and sound are quite substantial. Also the forward pistol grip does make mag changes a bit slower than a standard AK. I kept a Yugo 20 round mag with a bolt hold open device in it for the first mag then was set up for 30 round Russian plastic mags.

The nice thing is with the stock folded a Krebs humped AK selector still works and a set of E.G. luminous night sights makes for a not too bad a weapon
The pistol grips (on the AMD-65 forward and rear ones) are of different materials depending on the model-and no I don't remember which models the following are on: greenish gray plastic, wood and black plastic if memory serves me correctly-I could be wrong on the black plastic and the /5 has greenish-gray and yes, I know it is a /5 because I took it out of the packing crate that was marked AMD-65/5 and I inventoried crates containing /3,/5,/6,/7s respectively.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I like the AMD-65 from what I have seen there are seven variations of just the 65 model alone-I carried a AMD-65/5 for a couple of months and I thought it was the best short barrel AK in 7.62x39 I have ever seen or used.

The stock whilst short and strange in appearance I found superior to the underfolders and the east German side folder-I like the Chinese side folder and the russian ones best though.

I found it no problem to engage man sized silhouettes out to 400m from the sitting position.

As reliability goes I found at least on the /5 model no problems whatsoever and the 2 that I have seen and instructed on have at least 3000 rounds through each thus far with no hiccups.

Only the grenade launching model has the shock absorbing stock and sliding front foregrip and an interesting side mounted optical sight for grenade launching on the very few of that model I have seen.

I think that the AMD-65 is an excellent weapon (and at least the later models do not deserve the moniker of being the poorest of the AK family). Everyone who I have instructed in it's use was impressed with it and it is great for vehicular usage with it. With the stock folded it sat fine on my lap and comes up quicker than any M4 I have ever messed with.

It does have a few bad points. In full auto it is more difficult to control but I find no major problems out to 25m with about a 6 round burst and about out to 50 with a 2-3 round burst. Its full auto rate is a little faster than the AKM. Its muzzleblast and sound are quite substantial. Also the forward pistol grip does make mag changes a bit slower than a standard AK. I kept a Yugo 20 round mag with a bolt hold open device in it for the first mag then was set up for 30 round Russian plastic mags.

The nice thing is with the stock folded a Krebs humped AK selector still works and a set of E.G. luminous night sights makes for a not too bad a weapon
The pistol grips (on the AMD-65 forward and rear ones) are of different materials depending on the model-and no I don't remember which models the following are on: greenish gray plastic, wood and black plastic if memory serves me correctly-I could be wrong on the black plastic and the /5 has greenish-gray and yes, I know it is a /5 because I took it out of the packing crate that was marked AMD-65/5 and I inventoried crates containing /3,/5,/6,/7s respectively.

Good read in addition to being informative.

Thanks very much !

5sub
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#21]
The more I look at it the more its growing on me, but it crys out for a different butt stock. Maybe an ACE Ltd or, if I can find it, a Polytech side-folder. I just cant get the image out of my mind of some Iron Curtain thug going to butt-whip a peasant and having the stock crumple up on the first blow....

Well, right now its all talk until I draw a paycheck. I'm already a week late plus on my Krink order. Grrrrr.

Good info though. Glad to know that it has a practical use besides looking like it fell out of the USA show "Nikita".
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#22]
In reading the descriptions on Gordon's and AIM's site... it says that the stock is 'Fixed'... how is it fixed? Welded?
Anyone know for sure how its fixed?

Y-
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The more I look at it the more its growing on me, but it crys out for a different butt stock. Maybe an ACE Ltd or, if I can find it, a Polytech side-folder. I just cant get the image out of my mind of some Iron Curtain thug going to butt-whip a peasant and having the stock crumple up on the first blow....

Well, right now its all talk until I draw a paycheck. I'm already a week late plus on my Krink order. Grrrrr.

Good info though. Glad to know that it has a practical use besides looking like it fell out of the USA show "Nikita".

Funny but I too was thinking of the Acer XSF stock..............
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:49:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I really wish someone would make a copy of the "snake brake" for the AMD only 4" long for a legal 16". Anybody know of one??

That would make for a cooler set-up than the commercial offerings IMO.(the gap between where the fsb and brake go kinda kills "the look" to me, a longer brake would look more like the real deal)
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I've acquired an SAR-2S and a SAM-7 (comes in to my dealer today) and this AMD-65 is likely to be my fourth AK as I've found a 98% Krebs gun, with good accessories and at an attractive price.  

(Time for old 5sub to convert something on the AR side to cash so I can consider what my fifth and sixth AK's are gonna be.  Now don't go into hysterical laughter but I've set my limit at six (6) AK's  !!)

Yep - the AMD-65 is definitely going to be delayed until I convert something to cash

I closed a deal, yesterday, on a Krebs AK-101 LNIB (or really LNIC)- hard case, oiler bottle, cleaning kit, sling, manuals for both gun and scope, (4) Bulgarian polymer 30-round mags with pouch, scope pouch, fixed 4X PSO-1 scope with KCI mount.

I didn't have the guts to ask the guy to pay for shipping so I paid $700 + $25 shipping -   $725 total.

Soooooo, my AK acquisitions stand here:

SAR-2
SAM-7
AK-101 - Krebs
AMD-65 (Future)

Assuming the four AK's above and assuming a six (6) AK limit, what two (2) AK's would you add ??
Also assume dollars 'ARE' a consideration and nothing above a Krebs AK cost wise.

I really do value your opinion - after all excepting the AMD-65 I've only bought what you folks recommended.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#27]
From what I have heard on the 65 is that it was designed for tank, airborne and special ops forces. My job is not as glamourous most might think though, it was needed for personal protection not any "special" things-that is not my line of work. As luck had it there happened to be a couple lying around-I just get to carry what I want sometimes....
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

SAR-2
SAM-7
AK-101 - Krebs
AMD-65 (Future)

Assuming the four AK's above and assuming a six (6) AK limit, what two (2) AK's would you add ??
Also assume dollars 'ARE' a consideration and nothing above a Krebs AK cost wise.

I really do value your opinion - after all excepting the AMD-65 I've only bought what you folks recommended.

Pre-ban Chicom with the under-folder spike bayonet. (I don't have one myself but sooner or later I will)
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks Campy that's a great idea. I've got the original "snake brake."
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#30]
the /5 has greenish-gray

Masami's AK book has this pic of a AMD-63 with a greenish-gray stock ( one in the pic is missing the forward grip).

KMFDM, same color of plastic you saw on a AMD-65?
Would be a very odd variation indeed.

http://www.sublevel9.com/mpk/M63.JPG

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SAR-2
SAM-7
AK-101 - Krebs
AMD-65 (Future)

Pre-ban Chicom with the under-folder spike bayonet. (I don't have one myself but sooner or later I will)

Wild W.,
I must be getting better at this as I've already emailed C.BOB asking his opinion as to price and desirability on an AK that has the features you note - wait a minute that's not right - this AK has the underfold bayonet, is preban but has a side folding stock.

I'm having a preban AR refinished and when completed I'm going to put the gun up for sale.  Generally you get a bunch of trade offers and while cash is best I do want to mention a couple or three AK's that I would accept as trades.

Any more ideas ??
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#32]
just got my kit from centerfire today, looks brand new, has the green type pistol grips on it.

got a postban sa85m that may get chopped to a amd clone in post sept 2004.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Wild W.,
I must be getting better at this as I've already emailed C.BOB asking his opinion as to price and desirability on an AK that has the features you note - wait a minute that's not right - this AK has the underfold bayonet, is preban but has a side folding stock.

I'm having a preban AR refinished and when completed I'm going to put the gun up for sale.  Generally you get a bunch of trade offers and while cash is best I do want to mention a couple or three AK's that I would accept as trades.

Any more ideas ??

EDIT, I screwed up the quote somehow or another..

5subslr5, a good site to keep an eye on is www.fjvollmer.com/assault.htm to get a good idea what (authentic) pre-ban Chicoms go for. I don't recall Chinese side-folders with the under-folder bayo but I've seen pics of underfolding stock models with that bayonet arrangement. My pre-ban Chinese "wish list" rifles are the red polymer side-folder and standard stock AK with the spike bayo. To me the spike bayonet model's allure is it's historical/Hollywood status. (It's the AK you see in all the movies...)Lot's of pics from The Vietnam War highlight these rifles.

Whatever you do, when it comes to a pre-ban Chicom, be sure it has a pedigree. Pretty easy to spot a faked underfolding stocked rifle but standard stock and even side-folders aren't uncommon. Quite the bummer to spend $800-1200 for a bogus gun.

Things to keep in mind about Chinses rifles are: 1. Pre-ban stock set are common and sold for $30 when the MAK90's first arrived. 2. The red poly side-folder stock can be swapped from a $40 bb gun (requires a trunnion change--no big task for a pro) and 3. The spike bayo/fsb set up is still a relatively common item (very easy to swap).

What matters more than anything with the Chicoms are the receiver markings (or lack of).

When in doubt, post the prospect here and get some extra opinions if anything appears "fishy".
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wild W.,

Any more ideas ??

EDIT, I screwed up the quote somehow or another..

5subslr5, a good site to keep an eye on is www.fjvollmer.com/assault.htm to get a good idea what (authentic) pre-ban Chicoms go for. I don't recall Chinese side-folders with the under-folder bayo but I've seen pics of underfolding stock models with that bayonet arrangement. My pre-ban Chinese "wish list" rifles are the red polymer side-folder and standard stock AK with the spike bayo. To me the spike bayonet model's allure is it's historical/Hollywood status. (It's the AK you see in all the movies...)Lot's of pics from The Vietnam War highlight these rifles.

Whatever you do, when it comes to a pre-ban Chicom, be sure it has a pedigree. Pretty easy to spot a faked underfolding stocked rifle but standard stock and even side-folders aren't uncommon. Quite the bummer to spend $800-1200 for a bogus gun.

Things to keep in mind about Chinses rifles are: 1. Pre-ban stock set are common and sold for $30 when the MAK90's first arrived. 2. The red poly side-folder stock can be swapped from a $40 bb gun (requires a trunnion change--no big task for a pro) and 3. The spike bayo/fsb set up is still a relatively common item (very easy to swap).

What matters more than anything with the Chicoms are the receiver markings (or lack of).

When in doubt, post the prospect here and get some extra opinions if anything appears "fishy".

Wild W.,
GOOD advice.  Before I even contacted the seller I sent the ad to C. BOB for his comments.

You guys convinced me early on that postban AK's would yield far better value.  I've stayed with that advice but would add ONE (1) preban AK if it was really, really interesting.  This is the first preban AK I've seen that is that interesting.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top