Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 9:31:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 9:31:27 AM EDT by Nick_J]
Is it the same as a standard retainer?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:08:20 PM EDT
The Hungarian AK has a different handguard retainer than the Bulgarian, Russian and Romanian AK. The AMD-63/65 use the same style retainer, these have 2 pins that support the metal handguard. The Hungarian AKM differs slightly from the AMD-63/65 in that it lacks the little pins that support the sheet metal handguards of the AMD series.

The Hungarian retainer completely wraps around the top of the handguard that is inserted into the retainer. Standard AK47 and AK74 retainer are open on the top. Standard handguards can be made to fit both of the Hungarian handguard retainers by cutting down the "U" shaped portion of the handguard to fit the Hungarian retainer.

Hope this helps. I can post pics if you need them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:08:52 AM EDT
Thank you blfuller.
Do you think it would be possible to modify a regular handguard retainer to work properly with the 65 handguard?
What I want to do is add a 65 handguard to Saiga. The 65 handguards are available but no one seems to have the retainers.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:00:46 AM EDT
what gas tube will work on Amd-65 for mod,
to install the TDI rail upper & lower handguards?.

thanks for your help .
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:01:30 PM EDT
Nick_J,
I suppose a regular handguard could be modified to add a couple of say #4 socket head cap screws to each side of the retainer at 3 and 9 o'clock to support the AMD sheetmetal handguard. The purpose of the pin is most likely to keep it from flexing inward. The only issue would be is to keep the handguard from tipping towards the barrel as the standard handguard retainer is open at the top. A couple of more screws at the 5 & 7 o'clock positions would keep the handguard from being pushed towards the barrel.

Montecello,
My AMD-65 wears standard handguards. To use the TDI upper a regular gas tube with handguard retainer would need to be cut down and flaired. I used a Bulgarian AK-74 gas tube on mine. I cut to length, leaving a little long and then heated it with an OxyAcetlene torch and pressed a 3/8 socket extension into it to flair it to fit over the gas block. Then grind to length.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:16:09 PM EDT
Another thing that could be done is to use epoxy on the backside of the handguard retainer. Degrease the retainer an apply a generous portion of release compound to the front of the metal handguard, barrel and anywhere you would not want movable parts stuck together. Fill the backside of the retainer with epoxy and install the handguard. Push the handguard down away from the barrel so it fits tight with the retainer. Let the epoxy set up with the rifle vertical, pointed muzzle down and remove the retainer after it sets up. You would need to use high temp epoxy because the retainer will get hot. The epoxy would need to be a paste type like Marine-tex or Devcon Plastic Steel, so it woudn't run all over. You can get the release compound from Brownells along with the Marine Tex or Devcon.
Top Top