Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 10:08:07 AM EDT
I dont know how it happened but the buttpad came loose and fell off, i'm talking about the metal part that the rubber is attached to, should i weld it or use jb weld or some other high strength epoxy. McM
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If it was mine I weld it. That way every time you use it you don't have to worry about it falling off. I looked at mine and it looks like it would be a small job to weld it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If it was mine I weld it. That way every time you use it you don't have to worry about it falling off. I looked at mine and it looks like it would be a small job to weld it.

+1, MIG or TIG yourself or take it to a welding shop.  They'd probably charge you $5, a six pack, or nothing at all.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
i'd do it if you lived here(MIG)
Tig would look the best
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there any way to take of the rubber off the plate without screwing it up? I have a Mig welder, if theres no way of removing the rubber i'll just weld some small tack welds to it so i dont melt the rubber, ideally i would take off the rubber and weld it from the inside but it doesn't look like thats going to happen. McM
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is there any way to take of the rubber off the plate without screwing it up? I have a Mig welder, if theres no way of removing the rubber i'll just weld some small tack welds to it so i dont melt the rubber, ideally i would take off the rubber and weld it from the inside but it doesn't look like thats going to happen. McM

How about putting the rubber under water and welding above it?  That would surely dissipate the heat.  All kinds of stuff is welded full of water.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]
If I remember correctly, it is simply glued on.  I took mine off and glued it back on without any problems.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]
For the cost of shipping i'll send you a amd-65 folder minus the trunion. Shoot me a email at [email protected]. Let me know if you want it - If you become a Team Member here at AK47.net I'll cover shipping costs for you - Zap
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
For the cost of shipping i'll send you a amd-65 folder minus the trunion. Shoot me a email at [email protected]. Let me know if you want it - If you become a Team Member here at AK47.net I'll cover shipping costs for you - Zap

Nicely done Zap...  Nice..  I was preparing the same offer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Zaplatus, thank you for the offer very kind of you, the only thing is, The trunnion is riveted in already and i dont want to screw with grinding down the rivet heads removing the trunnion swapping then reinstalling, i talked with a buddy of mine who owns a welding shop, he said he just got in a new welder which welds with low heat and that the rubber will not melt, i'm going to be taking it over to his shop this week, as far as becoming a team member i will be one within the next couple of weeks. Thanks again..  McM
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Why would you have to remove the trunnion?  drive out the retaining pin and swap out he stock.

Glad to hear you will be picking up your team membership...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#11]
theres a pin? now i have to go get this thing and look
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#12]
There should be two "holes" on the trunnion.  If looking from the rear of the rifle to the front, with the ejection port on the right side, the hole on the left has the push button release for the folder, the right hole has the retaining/pivot pin in it.  Depending on your builder, the hole may or may nor be drilled all the way through.  If it is drilled through your receiver, then you are golden and punch that pin out, the buttstock assembly will pry out to the right when folded and it is about a 5 minute swap.  If your builder didn't drill that hole, you are pretty much screwed and welding will be your only option.

BTW..  how the heck did you break the orginal weld?  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I built the rifle on a global trades receiver myself and didnt drill the hole for the pin you're talking about, i thought it looked cleaner without it, i've seen many builds with that hole drilled but didnt think it was original so i didnt drill it, i think welding is my only option at this point unless i remove the trunnion which i dont want to do. How it broke? Man i have no idea, the pad was loose from the get go when i bought the kit from centerfire. The other day i pulled it out of my gun safe and the pad was laying on the floor of the safe its not really a big deal i dont think just annoying ya know.  McM
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Is there any portion of the retaining/pivot pin that you can get some pliers on?  They are not terribly tight..  I have pulled several out through the top before...  You might try it befor you roach a stock
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:09:39 AM EDT
[#15]
just clean off the finish around it do some quick tacks then clean it up with a dremal and refinish 1hr tops
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#16]
my neighbors stock came loose from the pivot point on the trunion, it was just a press fit looked like, or really weak welds.  I just pressed it back in and tig'ed it on there.  Weld the sucker!!!

chris
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top