Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/6/2002 3:24:01 PM EDT
1. Knowing the current history of hesse, the receivers sound as if they aren't too bad. It doesn't seem that there are too many notable occurrences of KB's (Krinkfreak being the notable exception, which I have questions about,and even Campybob knows of someone who has had a Garand KB). If I end up buying a hesse receiver will any of the following improve the construction of them?
    A. re-heattreating
    B. having it cryo'ed
    C. having it magnafluxed
 If so, about what would the cost be and how much, if any, improvement would there be?

2. Are IMI receivers forged or cast?  hesse?

3. As I plan to have it professionally assembled, would I be better off buying a new or almost new parts kit? or an older used one (assuming the builder would strip and refinish the parts anyway)?

4. I haven't seen any .308 receivers or parts kits for sale. Has anybody?

5. Who/What/Where is Recon Ordnance? The one with the 50rd mags for sale. Is there a website? How much would it cost to get them refinished?

6. Is there such a thing as a polymer ARM handguard?

I guess that is all I have for now (you see what 5 days of thinking can do to a person?). Any help is appreciated, as always. TIA
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1. <snip>If I end up buying a hesse receiver will any of the following improve the construction of them?
    A. re-heattreating
    B. having it cryo'ed
    C. having it magnafluxed
 If so, about what would the cost be and how much, if any, improvement would there be?

The galil design calls for a milled receiver that is actually quite beefy where it needs to be. I am not a metallurgist, but I have built enough military style semiautos to think that what you are proposing here is on the overkill side.  Cryo treating may or may not improve your accuracy.  If your barrel was hammer forged or button rifled, it may relieve some internal stresses and may result in improved accuracy.  If it was cut rifled, then any imprivement will be less noticeable.

Quoted:
2. Are IMI receivers forged or cast?  hesse?

I cannot comment on the IMI. The Hesse Galil receivers are machined from a billet.  I do not know if the billet was forged or not.

Quoted:
3. As I plan to have it professionally assembled, would I be better off buying a new or almost new parts kit? or an older used one (assuming the builder would strip and refinish the parts anyway)?

I would always buy the best I could afford. However, if you go the el cheapo route, at least get a new barrel.

Quoted:
4. I haven't seen any .308 receivers or parts kits for sale. Has anybody?

The only 308 galil used by the Israeli military was the sniper version called the Galatz:

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/galil2.jpg

They were very rare when they were in production.  There were some sporter versions exported to other countries, including the USA, but theya re pretty rare, too.  The sporter 308s are not authentic battle rifles.

Quoted:
5. Who/What/Where is Recon Ordnance? The one with the 50rd mags for sale. Is there a website? How much would it cost to get them refinished?

Mark Powell of FWRA (look for him on the FAL Files) was selling 4 50-rounders for $80, shipped and was having them drop shipped from Recon Ord.  I do not know if this deal is still in effect. If you lived close to me, I would refinish your mags in manganese phosphate (parkerize) for $5 per mag.

Quoted:
6. Is there such a thing as a polymer ARM handguard?

Yes, it is called a Galil AR handguard and does not work with the bipod from the ARM.  I have never seen or heard of an ARM plastic handguard that accepted the bipod. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means I've never heard of one. ;)
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:19:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I own one 50 round magazine, and its mainly for collector purposes.  They are extremely long, heavy when loaded, and not near the 100% reliability of the 35 round mags.

Computer guy has some Galil 35rounders at a good price:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=24&t=147898&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, do any of the professional builders mark/stamp the rifles they build? So later on it can be identified who built them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 2:45:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I think Derek Huffman and Mark Graham do. I don't know about others.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Derek at AZEXARMS is doing the GALIL Builds and re-finishing them in the two tone GALIL Colors. Here is the link www.azexarms.com/galil.html

edit to make hotlink active
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Derek at AZEXARMS is doing the GALIL Builds and re-finishing them in the two tone GALIL Colors. Here is the link www.azexarms.com/galil.html

I thought AZEX was more or less going out of business. Has that changed?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Forgive my ignorance, but who is Mark Graham? I don't recall hearing that name before.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Mark Graham aka Gunplumber, run arizonaresponsesystems.com.  When he finishes a gun, it is too pretty to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#12]
ALRIGHT, good news. ARS and AZEX combined can't be too bad a deal. But, I still have some unanswered questions. Do I have to twist some arms???
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top