Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 12:22:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/23/2008 4:52:38 AM EST by DAY51]
I just bought a SA85M, FEG, KBI, etc. Very clean. I'd wanted one for a long time. I had a thumbhole SA85M many years ago but hated it's look and sold it.
This will be my 2nd AK and after sending my money I confirmed my reasoning for not buying another one sooner, which is I am ignorant of AKs and there is A LOT to know. I saw the slant brake and thought this a great price on a Hungarian, I'll take it! Press enter. Then I get more pics and notice no bayo lug or ears on the FSB for the cleaning rod. So know I have another semi neutered AK. I'm sure I'll be happy with it but aesthetically it is messing with me.
So... My questions:

1. I paid $750 shipped, is this an OK price?

2. Can I remedy the lug/FSB issue without a financial hernia? That is, replace with non PC parts.

Thanks for any help in advance. I hope this is the right AK forum, I've been on the AR forums for a while.

DAY51
+54

here or email onebadeye@toast.net

Thanks Buck_Naked!

Anyone else with info on swapping parts out?

Ditto to patriot73 and Mak
Extremely helpful... The AK world is quite the maze to a newb!

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:38:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 11:07:44 PM EST by Buck_Naked]
I was looking at the post of the AK I think you are talking about... make sure it has the correct US parts count... The KBI guns were post ban, and came with a thumbhole stock. It appears that the stock was changed out, but no mention was made of what other changes were made. I can't comment on the price to retrofit the gun.

One other thing, those SA85's came with two different gas length systems, and I believe that one had the shorter than standard version.

As far as the price, it really depends on if the weapon is what you want. If you were to find a clean SA85m and do the conversion yourself, I think you would have more into the gun than what you paid for the gun in question. I am looking for an SA85m myself, and thought it was a very nice looking gun, but I decided to pass on that one...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:23:05 AM EST
$750 is on the high side.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:25:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 3:39:54 PM EST by Mak]
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:55:58 AM EST
Thanks Buck_Naked!

Ditto to patriot73 and Mak
Extremely helpful... The AK world is quite the maze to a newb

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:11:52 PM EST
If I have inferred correctly from your posts, you apparently thought you were buying a pre-ban SA 85 for $750, which would have been a screaming deal. Instead, you got a messed-with SA 85M which is non-compliant with the law, and you paid $300 too much. The seller should have disclosed what the gun actually was and any problems such as 922. The Hungarian SA 85s are great traditional AKMs, but I would pay more for an original one than an altered one. In other words, I would want to do the altering. I would be very upset about this deal if I were you.
Top Top