Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/3/2004 9:15:07 AM EST
With the exception of the obvious differences - heavier receiver, different furniture, and the barrel & bipod - are there any differences between an AK and an RPK? FCG the same? Bolt & carrier assembly the same? Anything I'm missing?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:42:29 AM EST
FCG, gas piston, and bolt carrier/ bolt are the same in both. Trunnion is different too, but since you knew about the receiver , you probably knew that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:40:32 AM EST
AK= easy to get and inexpensive

RPK= hard to get and expensive
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:03:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 12:04:13 PM EST by Ripcode]

Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:
AK= easy to get and inexpensive

RPK= hard to get and expensive

Man... i can attest to that!! I was thinking of buying one.

Cheap AK - $300.

RPK - about $1K or more !
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:54:42 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:03:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 1:05:01 PM EST by shaggy]

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
rpk pipes with rifling still in them are hard to come by (rpk74 pipes in good/new condition are for sale at k-var now).

for a bullet hose, they are tough to beat.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking Campy. I've got a long, heavy barrel (7.62x39) from a milled Polytech lined up and you know what kind of reciever its going on. As long as the barrel & trunion are the only major parts difference, I'll use a Woodymaker FCG, some nice RPK furniture to finish it out, and a few 75rd drums to complete the package. Was thinking of trying to find a PK carry handle and modify it to clamp on the barrel. Any thoughts/suggestions on that or ideas who might have one?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:39:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By shaggy:

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
rpk pipes with rifling still in them are hard to come by (rpk74 pipes in good/new condition are for sale at k-var now).

for a bullet hose, they are tough to beat.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking Campy. I've got a long, heavy barrel (7.62x39) from a milled Polytech lined up and you know what kind of reciever its going on. As long as the barrel & trunion are the only major parts difference, I'll use a Woodymaker FCG, some nice RPK furniture to finish it out, and a few 75rd drums to complete the package. Was thinking of trying to find a PK carry handle and modify it to clamp on the barrel. Any thoughts/suggestions on that or ideas who might have one?

But isn't the Polytech barrel only 20 inches?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:44:55 PM EST
You may be right; I haven't seen the barrel yet - bought it from a friend and I'll get it next week. I have an NHM91 and an RPK built on a Firing Line milled receiver w/a Bulgie parts kit, but I want another RPK type. I've got a line on a Polytech receiver to do the build on, but K-Var seems to be out of RPK kits in 7.62x39. I know the 20" isn't exactly correct, but it'll get me a little more velocity and that RPK look.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:50:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 1:51:54 PM EST by Ripcode]
I used to have the NHM-91, but sold it years back. It was nice.

I bought an Egyptian Maadi PRM (has the 20 inch barrel) to create an RPK(like) clone. But after mucho research, I'd rather have a "real" semi-auto RPk but can't find any kits. The only thing available right now is an RPK-74 barrel assembly.

IO has the shot out Romanian RPK barrel assemblys, but what good are those?

My only choices so far are the ARSENAL RPK which is over a $1K, a Kreb's custom built Vepr RPK which pushes over $1600.

Based on those prices, I'm going to do some more research and keep hunting.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:25:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:50:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mbsk01:

If I were you, I'd buy the Arsenal RPK for $1K while you can. I have one, and wish I had a few more.

I'm getting the hint... Buy the RPK....

I'm working on it! I just have to find a buyer for my left nut.....

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:55:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ripcode:

Originally Posted By Mbsk01:

If I were you, I'd buy the Arsenal RPK for $1K while you can. I have one, and wish I had a few more.

I'm getting the hint... Buy the RPK....

I'm working on it! I just have to find a buyer for my left nut.....

LOL, I can't tell you hom many extra shifts I've worked since discovering AK's. Managed to pick up a NHM-91 with a bonus check and I bought one of the RPK74 barrels from KVAR that I plan on turning into an underfolder RPK. $$$$$
Top Top