Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/16/2005 8:19:17 PM EDT
Hey guys I am new to AKs. I was trying to get used to mine today at the range.

Question is when using the irons, I have a peep hole on the rear so when I position the front post
on a target do you set target on top of it, put the post over the target, or cover the target with the front post ?? I tried it several ways but could not get a steady pattern or consistency.

Suggestions ??

Thanks
John
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#1]
.....focus on the fron sight, don't expect miracles or fantasize with Camp Perry, there is no match AK ammo, so make some man size targets, aim for center mass and see if your groups are high low left or right, buy the windage tool and adjust as necessary...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, find what works for you and get comfortable with it. The sight adjustment tool is a good idea. Just keep in mind these are not AR's. These are not for precision, so COM shots are your best bet.

Tint
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#3]
You can wait for the tool,or use a C-clamp and a socket.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:30:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Theres no correct way to do get sight picture (where you put your front sight on your target) Some people put it over the target some under and some center. I prefer the top of my front sight to be center of the target. But it's what you feel comfortable with. From there you adjust your sights accordingly. Like mentioned above you should be focusing on your front sight and the target sould be blurred. Thats the important part. If your shots are all around the target, this means your staring at the target not the front sights post.  Granted Aks are not for accuracy you should still be able to hold less than 5 inches at 100 yards with irons.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was at the range yesterday and did ok but need to work at it more.

At least the ammo is cheap.

Man this Arsenal is a great shooter, smooth and didnt miss a beat.

Boy does it throw the casing, they were hitting the tin roof I was under and the metal posts, its was like
a shooting galary...ding ding ding..

I will just keep shooting it and get the hang of it.

I do have the site tool...

What does it do when you bring the front site up or down since I can move my head up and down to see
the front site ??

Thanks
John
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
You want to keep the front post in the center of the peep, not lift your head to make adjustments.
Raising the front site up will make the rounds hit lower, Down higher.
Consistency in everything is what your looking for, sight picture, trigger pull, cheek wield.
grip etc.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You want to keep the front post in the center of the peep, not lift your head to make adjustments.
Raising the front site up will make the rounds hit lower, Down higher.
Consistency in everything is what your looking for, sight picture, trigger pull, cheek wield.
grip etc.

Thanks I will keep this in mind..I do have the tool but I havent tried adjusting the front site yet.

Like I said...keep shooting...more ammo..plenty left.

John
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, dont anticipate your shot, Get your sight picture, sight alaignment (tip of the front sight centered in the rear sight aperature) clear front sight post, breath normal as you reach the end of your exhale (Natural respiratory pause 2-3 seconds) give the trigger a slow steady squeeze to the rear. The shot should come as a surprise, and dont jump up to look at your target keep your form for a second or two after discharge then take a look at your target. When sighiting in I shoot traingulation. 3 shots then check the target. adjust,  repeat. Do this from a bench or prone position.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Also, dont anticipate your shot, Get your sight picture, sight alaignment (tip of the front sight centered in the rear sight aperature) clear front sight post, breath normal as you reach the end of your exhale (Natural respiratory pause 2-3 seconds) give the trigger a slow steady squeeze to the rear. The shot should come as a surprise, and dont jump up to look at your target keep your form for a second or two after discharge then take a look at your target. When sighiting in I shoot traingulation. 3 shots then check the target. adjust,  repeat. Do this from a bench or prone position.

So to adjust the tip of the front site move the front of the barrel up and down ??

What do you mean clear front sight post ??

So if I have hits low on the target raise the front site, hits high lower it ??

What distance is best to sight this rifle in..50 / 100 yrds ??

I have sighted my AR in with a scope but not irons on an AK.

Thanks guys.
John
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yea, find what works for you and get comfortable with it. The sight adjustment tool is a good idea. Just keep in mind these are not AR's. These are not for precision, so COM shots are your best bet.

Tint

What is a COM shot ?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
COM = Center Of Mass

The idea of an aperture or "peep" rear sight on an AK is sort of stupid, because the whole concept only really works if the aperture is close to the eye, which it is not on an AK.

IMO, the AK, more than any other EBR, benefits from a red dot sight.

That  being said, the standard sights on an AK can be used effectively out to 150 yards. Focus on the front sight and practice your trigger control... squeeze...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I once bought a used SLR-95 that came with an aftermarket peep at the regular sight location.  I like peeps, but it didnt work nearly as well for me as a standard sight.  Then I put a peep site (Krebs) on the rear of the cover (near the eye, like an AR).  It is now as easy to shoot accurately.  Just have to make sure the rear cover fits solidly in place.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#13]
A 100 yards is typical It's right in the middle of an AK's range
By raising or lowering the front site the muzzle will change elevation as you keep the front site centered in your rear peep (most guns change the elevation with the rear site making the adjustments opposite that of the AK, just to confuse you some more).

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
COM = Center Of Mass

The idea of an aperture or "peep" rear sight on an AK is sort of stupid, because the whole concept only really works if the aperture is close to the eye, which it is not on an AK.

IMO, the AK, more than any other EBR, benefits from a red dot sight.

That  being said, the standard sights on an AK can be used effectively out to 150 yards. Focus on the front sight and practice your trigger control... squeeze...

I do have a red dot I was trying t zero but couldnt come close.

I need to try it again, not sure why I couldnt get that even as close as the iron shots.

Thanks again for the information guys.

John
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top