Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/4/2012 8:01:08 PM EDT
I read on Wikipedia that the Russian (Izhmash) AK 47 barrels have a round count life expectancy of between 6-15K. Does this sound correct? In comparison the AR15/M4 barrels have a round count life expectancy of between 20-50K rounds.

I'm assuming these numbers were based on full auto fire which causes additional premature wear of the barrel. I'm curious what high round counts do you all have on your AK type rifles?
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I read it was around 15 to 35 grand, depending on use. In semi-auto rifles, that number is even greater as it's not subject to over heating due to full-auto firing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a MAK-90 with an easy 6000-8000 rds down the pipe and the bore still looks great. Bright with sharp ring lands?
Lot's of that round count was racked up FA (bump-firing) when I was younger and thought it was really cool to do.

Well hell I still think it's cool, it's just too damn expensive with today's ammo prices!

But if the barrel life is somewhere between 6-15k, then I've got to say it's closer to the big end then because mines not showing any clear signs of wear at 6k.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've got a MAK-90 with an easy 6000-8000 rds down the pipe and the bore still looks great. Bright with sharp ring lands?
Lot's of that round count was racked up FA (bump-firing) when I was younger and thought it was really cool to do.

Well hell I still think it's cool, it's just too damn expensive with today's ammo prices!

But if the barrel life is somewhere between 6-15k, then I've got to say it's closer to the big end then because mines not showing any clear signs of wear at 6k.

I agree that it's got to be higher especially when you see all the third world AK's still being used around the world.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
My buddies TGI '74 (bought 2008) has 2 crates of 7n6 through it and bore looks fine...and its a GM non chromed barrel too!!  Oh Teh Noes!
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll offer up a sacrifice in the name of science here.

You guys pool up and supply the ammo, and I'll take one of my AK's and start burning it up. I'll shoot it until the barrel is worn smooth and report back how many rounds it took.

Deal?
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
+1
Quoted:

You guys pool up and supply the ammo, and I'll take one of my AK's and start burning it up. I'll shoot it until the barrel is worn smooth and report back how many rounds it took.

Deal?

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
+1
Quoted:

Deal?

+2

Dont even worry about wearing your barrel out.Maybe your grandkids or your great grandkids,maybe
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Ak barrels have much thicker crome than american made barrels so all things being equal, as long as its not a fn blank of their machine gun steel, the ak barrel should last much longer. Velocity, full auto, and care,etc. plays a role too though so its not exact science. They probably say that so they dont run into trouble from some crap hole third world army that ruins their guns then wants a refund.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:56:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read on Wikipedia that the Russian (Izhmash) AK 47 barrels have a round count life expectancy of between 6-15K. Does this sound correct? In comparison the AR15/M4 barrels have a round count life expectancy of between 20-50K rounds.

I'm assuming these numbers were based on full auto fire which causes additional premature wear of the barrel. I'm curious what high round counts do you all have on your AK type rifles?

wait what? that must be an edit by some ARtard. i'm at 4800 on my SGl21. Last time I asked my training junkie buddy he was at 8k on his. but that was a while ago.  He's got 15k on an old polytech and another 30k on another chi com AK he owns.

i've read of people burning up 5.45 and 5.56 barrels in the 10k-15k range I think its go to due with the higher velocity.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Wouldn't a 7.62 ak wear much slower than a 5.56 or 5.45?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#11]
yes because it is a higher velocity round so it will wear faster. There is a guy with almost 30,000 rounds through a slr 106 on akforum with no accuracy loss at all and slight throught erosion so maybe 40,000? more for a 74, and even more for a 47... Any of them will be a very long time!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top