Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 4:22:22 AM EST
I'm in the market for an AK, and I want either an underfolder or side folder;  I keep seeing these AK "pistols" all of a sudden, and they basically look to me like a folding stock AK w/o the folding stock.  What advantage is there to an AK "pistol" over a folding stock AK?
Just when I think I know all I need to know about guns.....................
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:34:57 AM EST
The barrel can legally be shorter than 16" without the weapon being NFA registered as a SBR (Short Barrelled Rifle). IMHO, these pistols are a novelty... if you really want the short barrel, jump trough the hoops to get an SBR.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:44:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:41:58 AM EST
I've had a huge change of heart over the practicality of these AK pistols...

I thought they were mostly for fun, and if you wanted a decent close quarters rig you needed to go SBR on it. I don't much like keeping an NFA gun in the truck all the time, most of the cops in this area don't even know how to unload a glock safely, much less understand legalities of NFA guns.

So I built up a few AK pistols, and took them to a tactical range situation to see what gives. With a sling over the shoulder and using the Push Out method (Euro style) I was amazed at how effective the gun is even out to 60 yards. Follow up shots are slower than with a stock due to stabilization, but for the money, and having such a small package, it's hard to beat.

The main thing is if the shooter has a reasonable amount of upper body strength and can lock down the gun out in front. If so, it's a hell of a close quarters gun.

All that practical stuff aside, its a hell of a lot of fun to build up and shoot, and for the money, how can you not make up one or two?

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:10:20 PM EST

Quoted:
I've had a huge change of heart over the practicality of these AK pistols...

I thought they were mostly for fun, and if you wanted a decent close quarters rig you needed to go SBR on it. I don't much like keeping an NFA gun in the truck all the time, most of the cops in this area don't even know how to unload a glock safely, much less understand legalities of NFA guns.

So I built up a few AK pistols, and took them to a tactical range situation to see what gives. With a sling over the shoulder and using the Push Out method (Euro style) I was amazed at how effective the gun is even out to 60 yards. Follow up shots are slower than with a stock due to stabilization, but for the money, and having such a small package, it's hard to beat.

The main thing is if the shooter has a reasonable amount of upper body strength and can lock down the gun out in front. If so, it's a hell of a close quarters gun.

All that practical stuff aside, its a hell of a lot of fun to build up and shoot, and for the money, how can you not make up one or two?

Great assessment, I agree!  
Top Top