Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/9/2006 2:17:54 PM EDT
Hey guys, looking into getting an AK. I am mostly into M-14/AR/1911, but would like to buy a top notch and combat ready example of this famous rifle for my collection. I am competent to use parts kits and build to save a little cake if needed. I found some info suggesting the Norinco AK's have a 1.5mm reciever which holds up better in extreme shooting situations and that the SEAL's chose it for these reason for use when they need AK's. I see prices in the 1200 range for these and they call them pre-ban. The ban is over, so how is this relevant? My questions: 1- Is this indeed superior and worth the cost? 2- What others variants posses this reciever thickness (the claims are that most others are 1mm)? 3- I would like to hear the opinions of you guys on the best combat ready AK available and approximate current prices. I guess I have trouble believing in the superiority of a chinese firearm over all the others. 4-What also are the best magazines and ammo on the surplus market? 5- Last, is there a stainless reciever or barrell to be had anywhere? Thanks, help enlighten an M1/14 and AR guy on this subject.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:42:58 PM EDT
They're pre of the 1989 import ban, meaning that they are 100% imported parts. Even though the AWB went away, the import ban still exists.

1- You dont need to buy a preban, you can buy US built milled receivers, and new noban milled AK's. There are 1.6mm receiver made in the US, global trades I believe.

3- A vector arms built rifle is 400-500 ish and is a good choice, general opinion on them is high.

4- Surplus ammo is dryed up for now, will be back in bulk soon. Wolf ammo is cheap, and the new produced stuff is the best new stuff we can get. Mags- pretty much any steel mag will work flawlessly. US built mags are hit or miss(pro-mag), Bulgarian synthetic mags are good too. Best bet is steel 30 rounders.

5- Not sure, most of the barrels are chrome-lined and if you put on a good finish, they wont rust. And even if they do, they'll still work. Shit, its at AK.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 2:49:17 PM EDT by thedukeryan]
1- Is this indeed superior and worth the cost?
Importation was banned in 89 which is why some of the prices are higher. The preban ones with all the evil features are more valuable from a collectors point of view. There are many NIce MAK-90's that can be found for the $450 range. These have a thumbhole stock but standard furniture can be added if the correct US parts are installed. I personally wouldnt spend the $ if you are just wanting a battle rifle & it has no collectors value to you.

2- What others variants posses this reciever thickness (the claims are that most others are 1mm)?
YOu can find US made Arsenal receivers that come in both thicknesses. If you are using a thicker receiver for a build realize that the parts will need to be milled to fit properly. The Yugo rifle also have a Very heavy RPK styled receiver that is the heaviest from what I have seen. You could also look into milled receivers but the cost will be a little more. If you get a receiver from a quality manufacturer you wont have any problems.

3- I would like to hear the opinions of you guys on the best combat ready AK available and approximate current prices. I guess I have trouble believing in the superiority of a chinese firearm over all the others.
Chinese rifles are very nice but I dont think anyone can say they are the best. Im not sure what the best combat Ak would be it depends a lot on the features you want.

4-What also are the best magazines and ammo on the surplus market?
Any surplus mag in good condition will work fine. Ammo isnt really a issue either. Any steel cased russian ammo is gonna be your best bet.

5- Last, is there a stainless reciever or barrell to be had anywhere? Thanks, help enlighten an M1/14 and AR guy on this subject.
None that I have heard of. Most Ak barrels are chrome lined so a stainless barrel isnt a issue
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:28:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 4:39:22 PM EDT by dar48]
+1 to what's been said. I don't think FL has the anal-retentive "new bans" like some other states have. That's why people (like NY and others) pay a premium for the Chinese pre-bans, because those are some of the only ones they can get with evil features. A nice stamped receiver'ed MAK-90 will run anywhere from $350-450 (I got lucky and got a nice one for $275 OTD), drop in $100 worth of compliance parts, and you have a very nice, very tough AK.
ETA: thedukeryan has a website for ordering all kinds of stuff, including compliance parts. I've dealt with him once before; his prices are great, and delivery speed/service are excellent. I would highly recommend doing business with him if/when you need parts.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:40:21 PM EDT
So are you saying the Norinco MAK-90's in the 350-450 range have the thicker recievers?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 4:44:41 PM EDT by dar48]
Yes, all the Norinco/Polytech/whatever Chinese-built stamped rifles (at least as far as I've ever heard/known) have the 1.5mm thick receivers. I can see the difference between my Norinco MAK, and the two Maadis I have. There are some milled receiver'ed MAK-90s that will cost a little more, but have the added benefit of being milled (read: nigh indestructable).
Top Top