Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/1/2006 8:57:36 AM EDT
In your opinion, which AK muzzle brake or flash-hider is the best one to have on the end of my rifle and why?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
In your opinion, which AK muzzle brake or flash-hider is the best one to have on the end of my rifle and why?

Bulgy AR-M1 flashider. Effective w/all calibers (7.62/5.45/5.56) and takes the std AK bayonet.
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
All right, but what I'm trying to find out is which would be best in terms of barrel compensation and recoil reduction performance.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
All right, but what I'm trying to find out is which would be best in terms of barrel compensation and recoil reduction performance.

On the 5.45 I cannot detect any difference in perceived recoil between the AR-M1 & AK-74 muzzle brake. HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want recoil reduction you don't want a FH.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Be the first guy at the range with the artillery brake:

www.globaltrades.com/ak_misc/116.jpg
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
God that giant pic made me jump back!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks like a little much for my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
it was a joke....put the correct muzzle device that is supposed to be there......because...it is supposed to be there
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the 5.45 I cannot detect any difference in perceived recoil between the AR-M1 & AK-74 muzzle brake. HTH...
Tomac

What about muzzle rise? I never thought the 74 brake reduced recoil at all, but it does reduce muzzle climb.

I have one of the bulgarian flash suppressors on my 5.45, but I havent gotten a chance to shoot it yet.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I put this muzzle break on mine.

http://tickbitesupply.com/amdcompext.jpg

Sorry, best pic i had on hand of the muzzle break.

http://x11.putfile.com/1/223070221.jpg
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both a Slant &  a '74 Style (ie. no zigzag cut). I have to say that if you're interested in reducing both muzzle rise and recoil, the '74 style brake is the way to go. For authenticity go for the slant or just a muzzle nut. I'm hoping to aquire a '74 Brake (w/ Zig Zag) in .30 cal soon; I'm interested in finding out the advantages to each muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:56:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I am new to AKs and have limited knowledge on this, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents  As far as muzzle brakes the AK74 type brake is considered one of the most effective for reducing recoil and muzzle climb, at the expense of noise.  As far as flash hiders, all I have tested are a Bulgarian type (24mm) and a Krinkov that I bought from K-Var.  In an unscientific test I conducted in darkness the Krinkov was the most effective in reducing flash.  Word has it that Smith Enterprise will have their very effective Vortex flash suppressors available to civilians in the future that will be threaded in 14mm and 24mm for AKs? Apparently, all their current production of these is tied up in goverment contracts? Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Where did you pick up that muzzle brake?  How does it do with recoil reduction and barrel compensation?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:15:23 AM EDT
[#14]
If you mean the "AK 74" brake I was referring to in my post, it came in the box with my Arsenal SLR 105.  It may also be bought separately on K-Vars web site. It is very effective in reducing muzzle climb and recoil.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:47:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top