Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/20/2005 5:57:37 AM EST
Has anyone ever ordered one of the Type III Russia AK parts kits from the Sportsman Guide? How bad (or good) are they??? I've gotten the parts kit bug lately and need a new fix.
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 6:36:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/20/2005 6:36:52 AM EST by Tanker06]
Several people have ordered them, and I've heard that the conditions are pretty good.

However, these are milled receiver type AKs, so the reciever is going to be a lot more expensive
than the standard bent-metal receiver type.
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 7:07:21 AM EST
a buddy of mine got 1 and it was better than good
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 7:38:17 AM EST
I live abt 90 mins from the twin cities so when I am ready to buy one I'm gonna drive over there and hand pick it!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 7:46:48 AM EST
I bought one. I'm happy with it. The original finish is pretty much intact, and the wood looks like it'll be salvageable.

Only gripe is that it has an AKM bolt carrier. No big deal... it has the serial number hand engraved and that leads me to believe it was replaced during the weapons service life in the russian army.
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 9:04:19 AM EST
It is pretty much a crap shoot as to what you get. I've ordered five and will be returning/selling several of them.

I'm actually going to keep one of the worst ones with damaged wood, little finish, & "worn" barrel & parts, but have one other kit that, while not matching #s, is like a brand new gun as far as wear on the metal parts, barrel quality etc. There can't have been more than 20-30 rounds fired since the thing was serviced & refinished. The barrel is BEAUTIFUL with bright & very shiny rifling. The bolt, carrier, & gas piston are like brand new. The wood is pretty rough, though & would need to be refinished or replaced. You could buy a set of wood from Tantal or Z_Recto, add U.S. compliance parts & have a perfect looking rifle. It wouldn't even need to be refinished.

Anyway, the point is that you just don't know what you're going to get. That's why I ordered several.

If you think you want one contact me.

I'll take pictures of what I have so you will know what you're getting beforehand. If you like any of them, I'd rather someone here get the kit they like than just send them all back to SG.

urbancarbine@yahoo.com
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 10:24:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/20/2005 10:26:29 AM EST by Fargo]

Originally Posted By theBUBBAMANcan:
I live abt 90 mins from the twin cities so when I am ready to buy one I'm gonna drive over there and hand pick it!!

They dont have any of them in the store. You can order one from there catalog at the checkout counter

You really dont know what your going to get either. I saw one that had chinese baklite furniture and a stamped rear trunion and underfolder. All receiver markings were Russian.

If you want a "grab bag" AK kit then go ahead and order some up!

Link Posted: 4/23/2005 6:35:59 PM EST
I have four:

1. Very good shape, all matching fixed stock...will build this but not sure about how to match the finish of thereceiver to the original finish of the gun as i want a battlefield lok to it.

2. Underfolder...A COMPLETE MESS. incompletge kit, hand made parts including plywood pistol grip..RETURNED

3. Replacement kit...NOT RUSSIAN...actually a bulgarian type 3 with a chinese underfoder stock (thorughly rusted out..the underfolder that is, not the rest of the kit which overall was very good +) Sent underoflder to AK-USA and was fixed and actually workd noe.

4. Russian underfolder from FGW..Very good, except for having yugo stamped underfolding stock and east german pistol grip

5. Fixed stock russian with polish? stock, bulgarian pistol grip, and possibly polish handguards...overall very good though. obviously not matching

AK kits are like a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get..then again that is part of the fun of collecting these things.

GO AHEAD AND ORDER...AFTER ALL, YOU CAN ALWAYS RETURN IT
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 3:19:25 PM EST
I just ordered one on Thursday or Friday, when it shows up I'll give a report on this thread.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 3:22:33 PM EST
Ordered one and besides finf=ding out it was a MILLED AK kit, it was alos a piece of crap.

Sent it back.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 5:30:58 PM EST
Where are yall getting the receivers? firing line? ORF?
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 5:41:50 PM EST
As far as I know the best are Firingline. ORF's receivers are not out yet, the type 2 should be out soon though...type 3, who knows if at all. Only problem with firingline receivers is their ugly eagle and markings on the side making it difficult to get nice repro look other than that, their quality is impecable.
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 7:16:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/27/2005 7:18:43 PM EST by Adventurer_96]
Kit arrived today. It appears that there was a lot of water in the storage bag, orange rust on everything. Rear sight missing, no muzzle nut/device, non-matching numbers, and the receiver cover is very pitted. I'm going to call tomorrow a.m. and find out what they might do about it, if anything.

Oddly enough, the bore looked like crap until I ran a brush and some CLP through it. Now, strong rifling and relatively shiny. It's salvagable if they're willing to send out the missing parts, in my mind, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:19:34 PM EST
I sent the kit back a day after posting my last response as they just do exchanges. They sent out a ticket to send it back to them via UPS.

The replacement kit showed up yesterday. It is in very serviceable condition, little finish remainining but it's definitely buildable. All the parts were there, and I may even be able to salvage the laminated wood.

Not too shabby on the second time around for the money, but a bit of a hassle.
Top Top