Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2005 8:41:05 PM EDT
Just thinking guys.  This could be a killer combination.  Does anyone know if its been tried?  I'm guessing that you would want to use a new barrel from scratch rather than trying to rechamber and rebore an AK74 barrel.  But, 5.45 magazines might work with a follower tweak.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If you wish to become an AK manufactcrer here in the u.s. you might have something.  But for most AK owners cheap comes to mind quickly, 6.8 is not plinking cheap.  Whoever steps up as the AK barrel supplier in January will have a nice market open to them.  AKs and RPKs in various calibres can be made from 2-4 sizes of receiver.  I woul like to see an optimzed AK in 6.8 or 6.5 as well as RPKs in a multitude of calibres.  Will it happen?  It is up to the barrel manufacturers.

A previous post of mine might add to substance.

My own dud thread
As a base lets say you want to manufacture domestic AKs however you want unique options like various lengths of barrel and calibre. Lets say standard length 16+', RPK 20' and, SBR lengths of barrel in the following calibres:

7.62x39
7.62x51
7.62x54R
12guage

Ok firstly the key component of any gun the barrel?
Machines to make, and costs of?
I kind of assume most of these weapons can be made on 3 types of recievers and domesticly available parts?

Pick it apart, shoot it down, or just educate me?
Why has it yet to be done?

And the only reply
to many cheap import options. when the cheap imports dry up the US companies will take up the demand. if you look at replacement barrel made in the US for other firearms they run on average from $200-$300. the common AK barrels that are imported are usual around $100 or less. once the average import price gets close to thatit will be profitable for US companies to ramp up production. any reputable barrel maker can make the barrels to what ever specs you want. some can even chrome line them. E.R. Shaw comes to mind.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm cool with it. but I think we could get barrels cheaper than $300
I am thinking, $200 tops.  maybe even $100 for a cheap one. now, if oyu want some kind of sniper rig, then yea, $300 for a barrel, but it's an AK. We could easily take old military 308 and 3006 barrles, and slap em on  lathe. that's no more than $100 worth of lath time. so what? $150 tops?

sure, the rifleing may be slightly off, but IT"S AN AK. ANd this means we can use reloads to make very acurate rifles. I have been pondering a quick take down AK, milled receiver, and use some kind of latching/cam mechanism to hold it together,  mayb be a little bulky around the front trunion, but if it can fold down into a backpack, it;s all good.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That Grenadier Precision custom AK got me thinking and I wondered about 6.8 myself.  Would be curious to know if 6.8 would fit in 7.62x39 AK mags.... I had read that it fit in AR type 7.62x39 mags.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Who makes 6.8 ammo?

Last I read on the other side of ARfcom, it can't be found.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Who makes 6.8 ammo?

Remington and Barret make 6.8.  However, the ammo is very hard to find.  It'll be a long time before 6.8 will be widely used.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who makes 6.8 ammo?

Remington and Barret make 6.8.  However, the ammo is very hard to find.  It'll be a long time before 6.8 will never be widely used.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry .............

IT'S AN AK RIFLE IF YOU WANT A 6.8 buy an AR.  6.8 isnt going anywhere very fast at all. Its but a mear wildcat caliber.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:53:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sorry .............

IT'S AN AK RIFLE IF YOU WANT A 6.8 buy an AR.  6.8 isnt going anywhere very fast at all. Its but a mear wildcat caliber.

+100,000,000
whats all this talk about 6.8 in a Ak?....................that blasphemy, Kalashnikov just fell over dead clinching to his AK.

Taters, what is taters precious?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:31:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:50:34 AM EDT
[#10]
6.8 is a good caliber.  The AK is a good design.  On the one hand, I'm with the group that thinks trying to make an AK look like an AR is revolting.  But I don't see anything wrong with looking at the basic design and modernizing it, including the caliber.  Just take a look at the latest designs in Poland, Czech Republic or Finland!

Grenadier Precision did a kick-ass job for not a whole lot of money.  The biggest cost factor isn't the barrel, its potentially the magazine.  If the rounds fit in an existing magazine, 5.45mm, 7.62mm or 5.56mm, then it is feasible.  If you have to design and manufacture a brand new magazine, it isn't.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you seen the price of a box of 6.8 ??????
It kinda defeats the purpose of having an AK because its cheap to shoot.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Have you seen the price of a box of 6.8 ??????
It kinda defeats the purpose of having an AK because its cheap to shoot.....

Some of us actually PREFER an AK because it's a BETTER rifle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Taters, what is taters precious?

Actually, Mr K did not like the idea of 5.45 stating that a modernized 7.62 was a better idea. He likes 120 grain ammo, and the rest of the world is coming back to him. Re-barreling for one of the lighter 6.5 Swede bullets, using a shortened x55 case or necked down x39 case could be good.

Marty of TeppuJitsu likes these projects, as noted in his current thread for a 7.62x25 AR in the Pistol cal AR forum. Just throw money at him.

Marty is working on an AR mag block to use PPSH-43 7.62zx25 Tokarev mags in an AR.  As soon as he gets them done, I''ll be building a 7.62x25 AR.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I am thinking here...

Yes, use readily available magazines. and no "wildcats"

to think, I ALMOST bought a 6.8 upper  there was a whole row of them at this gun show, for CHEAP

hmm... now I know why.

Anyways I like the idea of domesticaly prodiced AKs

possibly in

308, using m14 magazines

3006, using ? magazines?  doh! what gun uses high capacity 3006 mags? I can't think of one... (please, don't say "remington" )

but if one did go there... 270 ak I am sure the hunters would dig that one.

moving on now.

what's left?  oh yea...

50 action express, using desert eagle magazines.

or

50 action express with 50 bmg bullets,  subsonic. using standard ak mages (mabe a slight tweak in the follower shape, and feed lips cut down a little in the front.

just some ideas.  

I'd hit it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

3006, using ? magazines?  doh! what gun uses high capacity 3006 mags? I can't think of one... (please, don't say "remington" )

Browning Auto Rifle...

I think you would be better off with a Garand over a AK in Thetty-aht-six.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use all the little animations you want, it doesn't change the fact that the AK platform is superior to most.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#19]
OK!!!.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#20]
This is all an interesting mental exercise but you are trying to re-invent the wheel.

By the time you are done "upgrading" and "modernizing" the Kalashnikov system you will realize that you should have purchased a RobArm XCR or a civvie FN SCAR - that is, if either one of them either see the light of day.

After trying out and researching dozens of aftermarket accessories for the Kalashnikov system over the last few years I have reached a couple of conclusions. One is that most of the aftermarket stuff is useless, but there are a few gems. The other is that the best you can hope for is a tweak here or there - you aren't going to fundamentally change the rifle so you are best off learning to run the rifle. It has its peculiarities but so does everything else.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I say, don't change the rifle, it's already perfect. But chamber it in a more powerful cartridge. same as a saiga. But use magazines that are cheap and easy, and make the entire thing in the USA.

3006 would be awsome.

and a 270 ?!?!? WTF

that would tear some stuff uff. and. correct me if I'm wrong, couldn't BAR mags work for a 270 too?

BAR... THANK YOU!!! obviousely had a brain fart.

quite a heavy and big weapon.

AK is light, portable, ergronomic.

a little gun that holds lots of big bullets
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't mind seeing someone produce affordable AK-100 series rifles. With Saigas being imported again, it should also be possible to make Romak-3/Dragunov clones from Saigas chambered for .308, .30-06, and 7.62x54R.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:55:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It has its peculiarities but so does everything else.

Dont we all ????
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:18:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats quite a comeback. atleast you didnt try to use the old, The ar is the better platform due to its accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#25]
This is a very interesting thread. MTU at Benning, along with a couple of other Army entities has been thinking along these lines for a while -- and with the support of some people in the domestic AK community.  In fact, IIRC I understanding Global was doing some collaborative work on the subject.  Also, I do believe one of LTC Liwanag's little gnomes told me a while back that the 6.8 SPC seems tro work okay in teh 5.45mm mag.  My info is about a year old...off to other adventures.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:10:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's a heretical Idea; what about wildcatting the 7.62 x 39 casing to something on the lines of 6.5 x 39 or 6.8 x 39?? with the larger case volume you could possibly generate some respectable velocities and still fit the "stock" AK magazines.

The above is is you dont care for the 5.45 x 39 thats already been done and proven.

Sgt Bingham
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top