Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 5:42:23 AM EDT
Is there a way to get the AK to eject a little less.....enthusiastically? Mine shoots two ways at once.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#2]
It wasn't built to recover brass. Nope.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#3]
it keeps the remchester 1-round-every-5-minutes crowd on their toes...what's not to love?  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine throws spent shells two pilons down about 6 yards usually to the dismay of the afforementioned remchester crowd.  The remchester crowd also does not like me interupting thier conversation with sustained fire either.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#5]
You can always buy a brass catcher.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to invest in a brass catcher.  When I go to the public range, I have one of my buddies hold up a piece of cardboard to prevent from shelling the other shooters.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mine throws spent shells two pilons down about 6 yards usually to the dismay of the afforementioned remchester crowd.  The remchester crowd also does not like me interupting thier conversation with sustained fire either.

You should see my PSL sling the brass.  Its not a nice slow arc like my AK, the brass rockets out of the side at damn near the same speed as the bullet

I just set my range bag on the bench in a spot so it deflects the brass out ahead of the firing line.  If I shoot standing up there isnt a whole lot I can do..heh.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Between the AKs and the CETME I can fling 5.45x39,7.62x39 and 7.62x51 six benches to the right. I try and sit as far to the right on the range as possible to not pelt the shooters. That is unless it is one of my shooting buddies, then it is open season.

I didn't think anything would throw empties as far as an AK but HK and clones pitch it pretty far too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Bouncing hot brass off the regulars is one of the simple pleasures that i enjoy at the range.

Nothing like dinging the benchrest guy on the noggin' just as he's pulling the trigger on that
5 shot for his world record 100 yd group.....

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You can always buy a brass catcher.

Got one. It's a pain because I can't work the bolt with it on, and it doesn't hold much. I just wish my AK wouldn't send brass into the next county.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I usally try to get the last bench o the line or take a step forward cause I end up pelting other guys with hot brass.  They seem to not like it.

I used to have a Para FAL that sent the brass into orbit.  Seriously, they went about 40ft out and at least 10ft in the air before landing in the woods somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I got hit in the chest with some 7.62x51mm brass from a CETME at the range, the dang thing pushed me back it hit so hard! The brass from that thing flies WAY out there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#13]
My shells eject like 30 ft out of my WASR-10.  At my range they have screens that you can bolt down to your bench and when the shells fire insted of them going like 4-5 benches down they bounce back and hit me!  I like the shells ejecting far I think it's pretty cool!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#14]
im glad im not the only one who aims more in terms of where the shell will go instead of where the bullet will go.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]
My home builds sling em 10-15 feet, my Arsenal slings em 20-30 feet, i like it
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#16]
You know an AK won't jam- my God the brass is almost as lethal as the what comes out the muzzle! Keep your head down!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm noticing that the old Gunny who runs the range I use always puts me on the far right lane.
Could it be he knows how enthusiastically these eject cases?
My SKS is quite enthusiastic too. My son managed to pop a spot light with an ejected case last trip there. It cracked the lamp which then sucked in air, sizzled and then burst like fireworks. It was awesome.
My son was really embarassed, but I was proud of him. I've never hit one yet!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#18]
a stronger recoil spring supposedly reduces ejection distance
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#19]
That's what makes the gun so darn reliable.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got an SKS that shoots 'em up 15 feet and right the same distance, but you're right.. The AK is just flat out antisocial.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've got an SKS that shoots 'em up 15 feet and right the same distance, but you're right.. The AK is just flat out antisocial.

Ya, but the FAL is worse, those .308s can sting sometimes.  I thought someone punchd me in the arm the one time I got hit with one.   As far as the ak though, at least it isnt as bad as the SKS in the aspect that if your shooting the sks at a covered bunch, sometimes they bounce off the roof and come back down to land on your head or knuckle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I've noticed that most of my Soviet Bloc designed stuff acts like it's allergic to brass.

My VEPR sligns brass about 20 feet to the right.
My SKS throws brass about 20 feet straight up unless there's a roof over my head. Then it's ugly...
My CZ-52 throws brass about 10 feet behind me and 20 feet to the right.
My PSL.... Well, I'm not really sure where the brass goes, I never get to see it again.
My Makarov is no slouch, either. I'm thinking about 15 feet...

I wonder if the SVT-40 does the same. I think that's next on my list of Com-Bloc toys to acquire...

Sam
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#23]
It's possible to drill a hole in the gas block and put a screw in so you can screw it in and out to adjust the amount of gas that works the piston. I know it's been done but don't know the details, I suppose some more gunsmithing oriented guy wouldn't have any trouble making this mod.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My home builds sling em 10-15 feet, my Arsenal slings em 20-30 feet, i like it

+1 on the Arsenal. Mine launches the shells 25 to 35 feet. Next time I shoot up at my dad's house I am going to measure the distance from the gun to the ejected casing.

I wonder if rapid fire will change the distance the shells are slung?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#25]
my home builds also go anywhere from 4-20 feet.

we just finished a couple builds using european rails from k-var (because tapco's rails suck) and holy CHIT batman...i don't think a single casing went less than 25 feet.  it was awesome.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Bouncing hot brass off the regulars is one of the simple pleasures that i enjoy at the range.

Nothing like dinging the benchrest guy on the noggin' just as he's pulling the trigger on that
5 shot for his world record 100 yd group.....

KyARGuy

+1
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Is there a way to get the AK to eject a little less.....enthusiastically? Mine shoots two ways at once.

If you really want to tame down the ejection, the correct fix is to reduce the gas port size. Press the gas block forward to expose the gas port, silver solder the hole up, and drill smaller. It may take a few steps to get the hole up to a size that works perfectly. On chinese .223 AKs that modification is nearly manditory because the chinese drilled the same gas port size as 7.62x39 on them and .223 has much higher pressures. Super energetic ejection is good for reliability for a while, but it really beats the hell out of the action and annoys other people at the range. Doing the mod is a good idea for a gun that is intended to see alot of rounds at a range. More pleasant to shoot and will last much longer.  

Ya, but the FAL is worse, those .308s can sting sometimes.
?? FALs have very effective gas adjustment on the gas block. If someone is slinging brass that hard from a FAL, it is either because they want to or are ignorant. The standard adjustment on a FAL is to open the gas till it ejects well, then maybe one click more. If someone is beaning you 6 benches down they are doing it on purpose, and beating the hell out of their action for no good reason.  

s & p
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I've noticed that most of my Soviet Bloc designed stuff acts like it's allergic to brass.

My VEPR sligns brass about 20 feet to the right.
My SKS throws brass about 20 feet straight up unless there's a roof over my head. Then it's ugly...
My CZ-52 throws brass about 10 feet behind me and 20 feet to the right.
My PSL.... Well, I'm not really sure where the brass goes, I never get to see it again.
My Makarov is no slouch, either. I'm thinking about 15 feet...

I wonder if the SVT-40 does the same. I think that's next on my list of Com-Bloc toys to acquire...

Sam

+1 My Makarov slings them out too!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#29]
One of my friends happened to be standing to close and the ejected shell hit him on the face and left a bruise
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I have used this guys idea even on 1911 with luck;
http://www.derbyfals.com/EJECTOR%20ANGLES.htm
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#31]
whats it like for a lefty to shoot?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top