Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2016 4:43:27 PM EST
Anyone have any ideas for meaningful weight loss for AK's? Yes, I'm being serious.

Here's a few of mine...

Start with a krinkov length gas tube, piston, front sight block, and hand guards

14.5" barrel with pinned flash hider.

Aluminum piston tube, left side optics mounting rail, and dust cover.

Aluminum piston, or hollow steel one.

Aluminum safety selector.

An aluminum carrier might be possible, if the gas system was tuned down or made adjustable.

That's really all I can think of.

TED
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:56:33 PM EST
Read an article in mag called AK vs AR and it mentioned that the stamped receivers were lighter than milled.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:42:47 AM EST
I personally think the stamped AK is about as light as it can be. Aluminum piston and bolt carrier will not work IMO . It is a very violent action and it couldn't take the wear and tear. Watch how it rides in the receiver.It's not an smooth and easy ride. WD
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:13:11 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WarDawg:
I personally think the stamped AK is about as light as it can be. Aluminum piston and bolt carrier will not work IMO . It is a very violent action and it couldn't take the wear and tear. Watch how it rides in the receiver.It's not an smooth and easy ride. WD
View Quote

This.

If you want lightweight, then an SBR with polymer furniture is about as light as it's going to get within reason.

R&D would also cost an insane amount for aluminum parts, even if they would work. They wouldn't be the same profile as the steel parts.
Top Top