Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 11:19:03 PM EDT
I'm thinking about eventually building an AK, but I want to use the correct parts for that model, from what I can tell the style of rivits used and the scope mount vary from country to country and model to model, I'm not sure which model I'm going to go with eighther, but I will be going with an AK-47, not 74, or 103, so It'll be in 7.62x39, specificly the AKM, so it will have the slant break, and bayonet lug, and it will be the fixed stock type, but I see so many parts kit's....

What rivit pattern, and scope mount is correct for a Polish AK-47, which are correct for a Romanian AK-47, which is correct for a Bulgarian AK-47, and which is correct for a Russian AK-47?....

Are the PLO kits that Joeken carries stamped, or milled, and do they have the threaded barrell, and flash suppressor, and does anyone have any experiance with these?....

I want to use the origional stock set, stock, handgaurd, pistol grip everything, so what US made parts do I need?....

Does modifieing full automatic parts to semi-auto count as "finnish manufactureing", makeing them technicly US made?....

What parts in the kit are full auto that I have to discard before assembly?....

Does anyone carry the demilled center sections of AK recievers?....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about eventually building an AK, but I want to use the correct parts for that model, from what I can tell the style of rivits used and the scope mount vary from country to country and model to model, I'm not sure which model I'm going to go with eighther, but I will be going with an AK-47, not 74, or 103, so It'll be in 7.62x39, specificly the AKM, so it will have the slant break, and bayonet lug, and it will be the fixed stock type, but I see so many parts kit's....

What rivit pattern, and scope mount is correct for a Polish AK-47, which are correct for a Romanian AK-47, which is correct for a Bulgarian AK-47, and which is correct for a Russian AK-47?....

The difference will be in the stock tang.  The AK-47 type stock tangs are all pretty much identical as far as rivet placement.  The AK-74 stock tang has the lower holes about 1/4" farther forward of those on the 47.  That is the only real difference.  A U.S. made stock tang does not count towards parts count compliance.  The stock tang is not a trunnion.

For scope rails, you will need to purchase one that works with the rivet placement of the stock tang.  The scope rails for the AK-74 will work on the AK-47, but the clearance notches for the pivot pins will not line up properly.  When you order your parts, ask for a scope rail that will work with that particular rifle.  K-Var carries scope rails that should work with the AK-47 stock tang.

Quoted:Are the PLO kits that Joeken carries stamped, or milled, and do they have the threaded barrell, and flash suppressor, and does anyone have any experiance with these?....

I don't deal with Joeken, so I can't answer this one...  You may want to check out Gunsnet.net vendor forums before dealing with them.  They have a bad reputation...
www.gunsnet.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=503
You should also be able to find out all the info about the kits that they "carry" in that forum.

Quoted:I want to use the origional stock set, stock, handgaurd, pistol grip everything, so what US made parts do I need?....

The stock set counts as 3 parts.  The buttstock counts as 1, the pistol grip as 1, and the pair of handguards count as a single item.  You need to have no more than 10 of the countable imported parts in the build.  There are 16 countable parts if you use a muzzle device.  There are 15 countable parts if you do not use a muzzle device.  Here is a quick scenario of parts usage:

Fire Control Group - Trigger, disconnetor, hammer - 3 U.S. parts
Gas Piston - 1 U.S. part
Receiver - 1 U.S. part
Muzzle Brake - 1 U.S. part - There are several U.S. made copies of various muzzle devices including the slant brake

This would give you 6 U.S. made parts.  16-6=10 imported parts, meaning a legal build.

Quoted:Does modifieing full automatic parts to semi-auto count as "finnish manufactureing", makeing them technicly US made?....

The only full auto part that will not fit into a semi-auto rifle is the auto sear.  The trigger group will function properly as a semi-auto without modification.  The original parts are finished and you cannot remanufacture the existing ones to make them U.S. made.  Just purchase a Tapco G2 set.  You can also use the FSE (First Son Enterprises) set, or the Red Star Arms adjustable set.  The Century Arms set will work, but requires a LOT of tinkering to get it to work smoothly without slapping the crap out of your finger.

Quoted:What parts in the kit are full auto that I have to discard before assembly?....

If you intend to keep the original furniture, you will have to replace the trigger group to meet parts count compliance.  That will essentially do away with any of the full auto parts.  The selector can still be used, as can the bolt carrier.

Quoted:Does anyone carry the demilled center sections of AK recievers?....

Not that I know of.  The center section is bad mojo as the BATFE is notorious for taping or wire-tying receiver sections together to make a functional firearm.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I may have worded my rivit question wrong, what I was asking is the style of rivits, I've seen differant kinds out there big, little, flat, brass, etc., and I think each country, and model had a slightly differant style, I suppose I could just look at the ones in the parts kit, but in case the parts kits were somehow mixed.... (I found a sight for AK-74's that went into great detail about this before, but I'm not sure were it is now, and they didn't list the AK-47....)....

Which style of trigger is correct single hook, or double hook?....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top