Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 4:28:01 PM EDT
I've been doing a little caving lately.

The SAR-2 is wearing American Black Walnut, some of the other pieces are Baltic Birch plywood or Honduran Red Mahogany.

I apologize for the crappy photography.

The Mahogany and Walnut have no stain on them, just Hopes 100% Tung oil, very colorful wood.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW that is some nice shit there!  Very nice work man!

Are you open to selling something like that?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#2]
very nice!  that takes some talent.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
+ 1 million on beautiful work, and plus one on the question. I would love to have some furniture that beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow.  You have some mad wood carving skills.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
WOW that is some nice shit there!  Very nice work man!

Are you open to selling something like that?

Thanks All, for the complements.

I'm considering making a sideline of this, though these are all hand made, lots of hours go into these and so the price would be steep.

If i can get better setup tool wise, I may be able to do some low volume production. If I do you folks will be the first to hear about it.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I might have to send you some Mesquite, that would make an awesome and very strong stock set. Its easy to find down here in South Texas

I've always wanted a stock set out of it

Mesquite - (prosopis glandulosa) - (Prosopis julifora) This beautiful wood is heavy and very hard. The basic color of this amazing wood is brown, ranging from light to dark brown. The yellows, pinks and orange/reds appear in marble like grains to make this an exquisite wood. Mesquite wood is a pleasure to work with an takes a beautiful high polish. SW USA and Mexico.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, do that if you can. Those look fantastic. I applaud your craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I might have to send you some Mesquite, that would make an awesome and very strong stock set. Its easy to find down here in South Texas

I've always wanted a stock set out of it

Mesquite - (prosopis glandulosa) - (Prosopis julifora) This beautiful wood is heavy and very hard. The basic color of this amazing wood is brown, ranging from light to dark brown. The yellows, pinks and orange/reds appear in marble like grains to make this an exquisite wood. Mesquite wood is a pleasure to work with an takes a beautiful high polish. SW USA and Mexico.

Hmmm...Sounds like fun.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wow, do that if you can. Those look fantastic. I applaud your craftsmanship.

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Just beautiful....Have you ever considered carving an AR-15 stock and forearm combo? I always thought that would look really cool out of Ebony...birds eye maple would also look really cool...anyways that's a real good way to put a $1000 stock set on a $300 rifle!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just beautiful....Have you ever considered carving an AR-15 stock and forearm combo? I always thought that would look really cool out of Ebony...birds eye maple would also look really cool...anyways that's a real good way to put a $1000 stock set on a $300 rifle!

I think a stock is doable, but I'm not sure how I would make a forearm, maybe an M4 style.....A grip may also be possible.

I have an exotic wood store nearby, I can get Ebony, Teak, Bloodwood, etc, but I don't  know how suitable some of this would be.

Some of the wood I looked at weighed like concrete!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Good job dude! It's hard work, I know, i've tried it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#14]

When and how much
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#15]
beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]
This one is ultra sweet in my opinion!

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I think an AK with nice wood like that is really hard to beat!  I got a kit that is sitting waiting to be built and man that would look sweet!
Keep us informed!

There are many that will pay for quality here!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
please let me buy it all!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/scott1959/SAR2BW8.jpg

No Expert

That was my first effort carving, and shaping with sand paper.

It was the rough draft/prototype for a Romak III replacement, the final version was made from imported Baltic Birch plywood, stained to match the hand guards. Came out real nice.

It gives the Romak III a real pistol grip, grip angle taken from an AR, straight line stock about 2" longer than that torture device it replaced. Also has raised comb.

If you like the stain, which is necessary to hide the Home Depot "Crap Wood" it is Minwax "Bombay Red Mahogany".  

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:26:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/scott1959/SAR2BW8.jpg

No Expert

That was my first effort carving, and shaping with sand paper.

It was the rough draft/prototype for a Romak III replacement, the final version was made from imported Baltic Birch plywood, stained to match the hand guards. Came out real nice.

It gives the Romak III a real pistol grip, grip angle taken from an AR, straight line stock about 2" longer than that torture device it replaced. Also has raised comb.

If you like the stain, which is necessary to hide the Home Depot "Crap Wood" it is Minwax "Bombay Red Mahogany".  

That does look nice for "crap wood"

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:32:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I only wish I were 1/10 as talented as you!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the color of that Minwax stain.

I am gonna pick some up and try it on some Maadi Laminate I have here.

I'd like to even out how that buttstock looks, too light colored on the bottom there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
snip.....

Please send a poor Michigander that Mesquite wood and I'll use it as it was intended by God, I'll burn it in my smoker to smoke up some tasty chow

BTW, That's VERY nice wood working skills.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#24]
wow. those are beautiful. i love the pistol grips. :)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip.....

Please send a poor Michigander that Mesquite wood and I'll use it as it was intended by God, I'll burn it in my smoker to smoke up some tasty chow

BTW, That's VERY nice wood working skills.  

Mesquite trees are like weeds.  Anytime I need some for my smoker I just trim the trees in my yard.  You have all that nice apple wood up there for smoking.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#26]
very, very nice work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Very nice work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#28]
You need to sell those. Hell, you even made a butthole stock look good!

S.O.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

S.O.

I wonder how much $$$ people would be willing to shell out for this stuff
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#30]
i would shell out some coin for a complete stockset for my milled arsenal ak in red mahoganey
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
i would shell out some coin for a complete stockset for my milled arsenal ak in red mahoganey

The only problem is I don't have a milled arsenal ak to work from, I have a SAR-2 and Romy G kit to test fit with.....

Maybe if someone could send me their old milled kit receiver stubbs/ends......Then I could do milled stock sets.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

I wonder how much $$$ people would be willing to shell out for this stuff

Not more than $90-$100 for a complete stockset as that is about what Ironwood charges.

The pistol grips probably $40 tops.

Front handguards like the ones you have picture maybe $45.00.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top