Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 10/7/2003 4:01:12 PM EST
I have a Romanian AK that was purchased after the ban went into effect. I bought it in 95 and it is definitely a "post ban" gun. When I purchased it it had the thumbhole sporter stock on it. It is extremely reliable and very accurate but I hate the stock. I am more comfortable with a pistol grip (like the newer post ban guns). My question is this, what needs to be done with this rifle so I can legally change the stocks to the pistol grip style? Do I just need to purchase US made stocks? Change out other parts? or do I need to go buy a new AK? It appears to be a standard AK that came with the sporter stocks. I am sure some of you remember those from back when the ban first went into effect. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:34:13 PM EST
Here's the easiest way to do it:

You see, the issue here is parts count. Right now, your rifle is considered an imported gun. That is determined by the amount of parts that are foreign made. By replacing the appropriate amount of foreign parts with US-made ones, it then changes status to a US-made gun, which can have a pistol grip.

What most do with rifles like yours is buy an American made FCG (fire control group), which counts as three foreign parts replaced out of the five neccesary. Then buy a US made stock set from K-var (join their online forums to get discounted prices!) www.k-varcorp.com/

You have then replaced six parts (the upper and lower HGs count as one part) and are ready to go with your pistol-gripped AK.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:57:24 PM EST
For a stamped receiver gun like yours you need five US made parts, or six with a muzzle brake. (One less for a milled receiver gun).

The parts that you can change easily are:

­Gas Piston
Pistol grip
Handguards (upper and lower count as 1 total)

So basically five of these seven plus a US made brake would do it. As was previously pointed out a US furniture kit and US FCG (total price ranging from ~$100 - $200 depending upon who's parts you use) would give you six parts and you could have a cheap foreign slant brake permanently attached for the complete AK look.

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:50:08 AM EST
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Everyone says that the stamped receiver guns are much lower quality and they may well be correct. However this thing has several thousand rounds through it and I have NEVER had one jam or failure. It feeds everything I can throw at it and functions every time. It has been through hell and back and still looks great. It is definitely a weapon I would not be afraid to bet my life on.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:13:07 AM EST
"It is definitely a weapon I would not be afraid to bet my life on"

-now, now...lets not get too carried away but I know what you mean.

If you really want to make your gun KOOL...make it all black with a vented top hand grip and put a 75 round drum on it. Throw on a nice scope (at least 8x) and your good to go. You may want to get a brake for it but thats up to you.

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:16:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2003 4:17:15 PM EST by AJjer_Bullets]

Originally Posted By rallykid:
Everyone says that the stamped receiver guns are much lower quality and they may well be correct.

That's silly. Stamped receivers properly made are the state of the AK art, whether they "feel" as good or not. The Russians haven't made a milled AK since the '50s.
Top Top