Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/21/2005 8:34:37 PM EDT
Hey folks.  My first AK (and first rifle) was a VEPR II that I got new.  I have been so happy with it that I have hardly batted an eye at any AK I have seen since then.

I have become intrigued with the proliferation of AK pistols since the end of the AWB.  I thought one would make a fun and loud plinker/evil trunk gun.  Are they very useful?  Or should I just grab an underfolder?  What is the terminal ballistic effect of 7.62x39 out of an 11 inch barrel?

Would the 7.62x39 round penetrate a ballistic vest with the shorter barrel?  I consider this property to be required in a trunk gun.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with RS39, after asking this question, I went and tested it myself and found that silver bear is right around 2200 fps out of my AMD "pistol". Would it penetrate a vest, I guess it depends on the vest...a flask vest and a IIa like that guy at the texas courthouse had, probably, one with trauma plates, etc. no way.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool.  That is good info.

I did not think that 7.62x39 would penetrate trauma plates anyway.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont know about trauma plates, but Silver Bear 7.62x39 at 2450fps out of a Yugo SKS penetrated 5/16 steel plate in some tests I ran.  It would almost penetrate 3/8.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
7.62x39 is not velocity dependent. It doesn't fragment, at all.

If you lose 150 or 200 FPS, no big deal.

I don't know about the vest bit, but I doubt you would lose enough velocity to make a huge difference. Shouldn't have a problem with soft armor.

An AK pistol is not very practical, and is difficult to shoot effectively. It wouldn't be my first choice in a trunk gun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]
They aren't as effective as a rifle but in a situation where a semi-compact weapon is required it will fit the bill.

At a 100 yds you can hit OK from a rest, standing and moving i can hit a target not as well but still OK.  Put a few thousands runs through one and they become a little better with them.

I would prefer a full size rifle or shotgun for a trunk gun but in the car gun the AK pistol would rule, that what's they were made for, well maybe more tanks or other small areas.

The thought of Wolf 154 gr soft points coming out at over 2000 fps would really put a hurt on a paper target.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top