Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 7:48:12 PM EDT
How are receivers determined whether they are pistol or rifle when they are manufactured?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
They are stamped as pistol receivers and have a closed back?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How are receivers determined whether they are pistol or rifle when they are manufactured?

i thought of the same thing,....useing a premade reciver like global?

i had them do custom engraving "krinkov pistol" on the reciver for my M92 and i am going to have it x-fered as a pistol,. that should take care of any problems.

is your FFL giving you static?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i thought of the same thing,....useing a premade reciver like global?

i had them do custom engraving "krinkov pistol" on the reciver for my M92 and i am going to have it x-fered as a pistol,. that should take care of any problems.

is your FFL giving you static?

No I AM an FFL. Have never seen a "pistol" receiver listed for sale. There are 2 different procedures for paperworking these recs. If I want to build a pistol where do I get a rec?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for more info.

I have heard of people getting all their AR receivers marked and transferred as pistols to cover all grounds.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
where the not this shit again pic?

If you have a stripped receiver that has never been built. You  can build it into either a rifle or a pistol. Some people do have the receiver papered as a pistol. some dont.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No I AM an FFL. Have never seen a "pistol" receiver listed for sale. There are 2 different procedures for paperworking these recs. If I want to build a pistol where do I get a rec?

on my first reciver the FFL holder asked what i was making it into,..this got me thinking about the same thing,.and i wonder what would happen if i ran into a tool that would not let me x-fer it as a pistol,. thats why i asked global to do the custom work,..not that it should matter because it was never a rifle,.

but if you wanna build a Ak/KRINK pistol you can either work off a flat so "the man dont know"
or
build on a premade "virgin" reciver.

when you FFL holders call dont you give serial# and type of weapon?

so when my guy does the x-fer he should call it in as a pistol,. to be safe im bringing my kit in case he wants to measure the barrel

as for what to use for the rear trunnion,... an underfolding rear should work just fine,.. just dont drill the underfolding holes,..or get lucky like i did and find a actual pistol rear with sling swivel installed. i dont know who, what, when, or where it was made,.. but i traded 1/4 bore for it
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Im not a FFL or completely up to date on this but from my understanding a unbuilt receiver is just that a receiver. It can be built into either a pstol or rifle. Cant you just put it in the book as a stripped receiver? Remember you can go from pistol to rifle but not from a rifle to a pistol. This means you cant take a rifle and convert it to a pistol unless it was originally built as a rifle. If it started as a pistol you can switch back & forth between rifle & pistol.

Well not exactly if it is paperworked as a pistol you cannot put a stock on it without putting a 16" barrel. Pistol can have as long a barrel as you want.
Hey I will ask Jimmy at Global Trades......didn't think of that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#9]
FFLs are getting into trouble over this.
The 4473 is nothing more than a transfer vehicle.  There is no such thing as "papering" a receiver as a pistol.  Doing so affords you no legal protection.
The FFL is supposed to describe what he is transferring.  Period!  If he is xfering an "unbarreled receiver", that is what he is supposed to write in the box.  He is not xfering a pistol or rifle or anything other that what it is....a STRIPPED RECEIVER.  It's up to you, the buyer, to verify that the receiver has never been assembled in rifle configuration.  If you need legal verification, contact the manufacturer.  THEY have to report to the ATF every serial number they make and sell and they have to describe the configuration for tax purposes.
The ATF is citing FFL's for doing this since they are basically putting false information on the 4473's.  Don't rely on "Bubba the FFL" to keep you out of jail.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes but is it a 'stripped rifle receiver' or a 'stripped pistol receiver' ?

You can buy stripped AR or AK receivers marked "pistol" - probably a good idea
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Per my conversation with Global Trades today:

Me......

What determines when a receiver is a pistol or rifle rec?  If it is serial numbered as a rifle it can't be made into a pistol can it?

GT....

The ATF tell us that at the point we sell a receiver, it is neither a rifle or a pistol, and can legally be made into either.
We do offer receivers marked "pistol" and registered as such on our books on request.  We will also alter our records on any receiver to show that it is a pistol receiver when requested.

Me.....

What if I already have a receiver, from you, not built up yet, what has to be done to make it a pistol if I purchased it as a rifle?

GT....

Legally, nothing.   If you want us to change it on our books, email me the serial # and I will get it done.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top