Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/11/2004 3:03:50 PM EDT
Ok, so I finally got the 5 USA parts needed to swap the thumbhole stock on my MAK-90.

I unscrew the stock, go to put the black USA pistol grip on it, and the PROBLEMS begin!

For starters, for some reason the MAK-90 (and maybe other AKs too, but the MAK is all I know) has this little bitty loose piece of T shaped metal inside the reciever that holds the pistol grip.  As soon as I take the stock off, this piece comes falling out....now why this piece is loose instead of sodered on the gun is beyond me, it seems like a stupid design.  Are all AKs like that?

Anyway, so I   have the stock on, and am trying to hold the loose T shaped piece in place with one of my hands, while trying to insert the screw and the pistol grip into the reciever with my other.

Now, the Mak-90 stock was easy to take on and off, it was easy to line the screw up to the T piece because there was only a small hole drilled into the stock, just big enough for the screw.  However, the black plastic pistol grip is all hollow inside, and the screw tends to jiggle around in there when I try to push the grip on the gun.  Thus making it practically impossible to line up the screw with the T shaped piece.  How are you supposed to attach this thing?  

To make matters worse, the screw I am using is the one that came with the thumbhole mak-90 stock, and I fear it may be too small for the black pistol grip.  Is it?  If so, how do I ordered a correct sized screw, and will it be threaded to insert into the Mak-90's T shaped piece?  I never thought attaching a pistol grip to a firearm could be this difficult.  What is going on here?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]

the screw I am using is the one that came with the thumbhole mak-90 stock, and I fear it may be too small for the black pistol grip. Is it? I

yes.

you need a longer grip screw.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You can find a longer screw here www.copesdist.com/ak47.htm
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]
It sure is a bitch to line up that screw, ain't it?

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah man, any tricks here on how to do it?  I don't know why they leave the entire hollow, instead of just a hole for the screw to go in!

Ok, so my next question has to be,

Do I need a different screw for the buttstock as well, or will the supplied Mak-90 one for the thumbhole stock work with this one?

http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=216&1=228&3=195

Thank you.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Screw the bolt in a little from the upper end then use it as a handle to place the pistol grip nut.After you get the nut in the right position,angled toward the rear,hold it in with your finger while you hold the pistol grip in place.Replace the screw and you're done,a simple two minute operation.You will need a longer screw than the one that came with your MAK 90.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Will I need a longer screw for the stock too?  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The stock screws should work.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top