Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/31/2006 4:57:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 4:58:59 AM EDT by Freaky]
I'm considering an AK pistol. I already have a SAR-1, so this will be my second AK. I just spent about $1600 building an AR, so I need to keep the price as low as possible. This is the one I was considering:

AK Pistol

Let me know what you think and if there are any other options around that same price or less.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:50:28 AM EDT
No way in hell would I pay that much for a pistol if all I had for AKs was an SAR. If you are going to spend that kind of money then please get yourself the Yugoslavian underfolder that they have or a Polish underfolder, or anything other than a pistol. I would only recommend a pistol if you already had a bunch of AKs, but not as a second AK. In my not so humble opinion if you have the money to spend then broaden your AK secection and get the Yugo underfolder.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:04:00 AM EDT
I realize that the SAR is more of a beater gun, but thats what I bought it for. The reason I wanted the AK pistol was to have something small to leave in the car all of the time. I may later buy another AK thats meant to be prettier than my SAR, but right now that serves no purpose other than collection purposes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:21:15 AM EDT
Even if all you want is a small AK, then personally I would get an underfolder of some variety. I would suggest the AMD-65, the Polish underfolder, or the Yugo underfolder. They are all compact and in addition to being compact, when you extend the underfolder they become useful as a weapon. Don't get me wrong, I have an AK pistol that I built and the thing is a load of fun, but for practicality I would have an underfolder.
If you want a pistol then any of the pistols on Atlantic are probably good bets, especially the one you are looking at (made by Red Jacket, good builder). But if you are looking for a practical, compact trunk gun, then consider a folder.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:38:38 PM EDT
Buy whatever the hell you want, and dont worry about what the peanut gallery says......
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:43:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By frick:
Buy whatever the hell you want, and dont worry about what the peanut gallery says......

When did I become the peanut gallery?

Let me know what you think and if there are any other options around that same price or less.

Did you even read the first post? If you did you would have noted what I quoted above. I simply suggested other options at around the same money. You on the other hand didn't add anything constructive to this thread. So how about you go soak your fucking head???
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:05:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:

Originally Posted By frick:

When did I become the peanut gallery?

Did you even read the first post? If you did you would have noted what I quoted above. I simply suggested other options at around the same money. You on the other hand didn't add anything constructive to this thread. So how about you go soak your fucking head???

Yeah!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:24:06 PM EDT
consider this:

the cost to build a pistol (one of several of my example builds):

AMD65 kit: $150 (current market price is about $210)
Rear pistol block: $50 (I made mine so it was no cash out)
Global Trades Receiver: $75 (with tax)
Handguard: $30 (or less...this buys the Galil style one or any plastic one)

That total comes to $365 with the higher AMD price. In reality you can sell the AMD stock for $35 and recover some cost since you don't need the stock. There are other configurations such as cutting a standard gas tube and slight mods to the lower handguards to get the standard AK handguards.

Note you don't need US parts, so you save the cost of FCG, gas piston, and or pistol grip (about $45).

Obviously you need the tools and know-how to build it out, but IMHO a price tag of around $500 is much more reasonable. There are a lot of builders out there...I would shop around.

.....AND, AK pistols are really fun, and with some practice, are very tactically viable.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:22:32 PM EDT
I would definitely consider a build, but I've never done one before. I saw a Krinkov parts set on K-VAR for $399. Where would I find the other parts needed and what exactly would I need? It looks to be everything but the receiver and front sight assembly, who would you buy those from? I think I would actually enjoy putting one together if I knew where to get everything. Thanks.....

K-VAR Krinkov
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:29:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Freaky:
I would definitely consider a build, but I've never done one before. I saw a Krinkov parts set on K-VAR for $399. Where would I find the other parts needed and what exactly would I need? It looks to be everything but the receiver and front sight assembly, who would you buy those from? I think I would actually enjoy putting one together if I knew where to get everything. Thanks.....

K-VAR Krinkov

No Trigger Guard, No Trunnion Block, No Bolt Head Assembly, No Rear Hinge (Semi auto fire control parts), No Front Sight Assembly

Missing vital parts.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:30:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 5:30:53 PM EDT by squeky]

Originally Posted By Freaky:

K-VAR Krinkov

"No Trigger Guard, No Trunnion Block, No Bolt Head Assembly, No Rear Hinge (Semi auto fire control parts), No Front Sight Assembly"

Don't even bother for your first build, you'll be hunting all over for those parts and they'll quickly add up. I second the AMD-65 idea.

ETA: Damn, beat me to it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:53:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheNorm:
consider this:

the cost to build a pistol (one of several of my example builds):

AMD65 kit: $150 (current market price is about $210)
Rear pistol block: $50 (I made mine so it was no cash out)
Global Trades Receiver: $75 (with tax)
Handguard: $30 (or less...this buys the Galil style one or any plastic one)

That total comes to $365 with the higher AMD price. In reality you can sell the AMD stock for $35 and recover some cost since you don't need the stock. There are other configurations such as cutting a standard gas tube and slight mods to the lower handguards to get the standard AK handguards.

Note you don't need US parts, so you save the cost of FCG, gas piston, and or pistol grip (about $45).

Obviously you need the tools and know-how to build it out, but IMHO a price tag of around $500 is much more reasonable. There are a lot of builders out there...I would shop around.

.....AND, AK pistols are really fun, and with some practice, are very tactically viable.

Seriously the best advice so far.
Top Top