Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/29/2005 12:29:21 PM EDT
I'm interested in picking up a Romanian AK47. From what I've been told this is a sporterized model, no bayonet lug, etc, though it does have a folding stock. It comes with a sling, and 2 20 round mags. The price NIB is $464+tax. Is this a reasonable asking price, or would some of the "deals" in shotgun news be a better place to look? I just don't want to end up with a P.O.S. that I have to rebuild.
Thanks in advance for the advice guys'.
J.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is a good site with info on Romanian AK's and there price range.

I'm a noob myself and I use this site all of the time for any questions on my SAR1 AK

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Too much, even for a brand new SAR-1.

AIM surplus has the no-ban WASRs for $319.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just don't want to end up with a P.O.S. that I have to rebuild.

J.

Then don't buy a Romanian.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
don't let these clowns fool you, with their romy hatin agenda

a good built SAR will work everytime, and will outlive you.

But if you're on a budget you might go for one of the WASRs, off AIM or anywhere else that has them, I'd go with AIM though they seem to have the best deal.

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/NEW_AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Bayonet_Lug___Muzzle_Break.html
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
i picked up my wasr 10 (romainian) for ?375..........it is a nice peace........it tears stuff up pretty good.......if i were you i would check both types out first...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank's for the info guys'. I'm going to go hagle with the shop tomorrow, and see if I can get them to drop the price. If they don't, I'll just go get it at aimsurplus.
J.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#7]
i have had my sar1 for some time now and have never had a single failure
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a SAR-1 and I currently own a SAR-3. They are good rifles which function reliably out of the box. However, these guns are no longer imported.

What are imported now are WASR's, and from everything that I have heard they are junk. At a bare minimum you will need to cut/grind a sizable piece of metal out of the mag well in order for it to accecpt high cap mags and drums properly and you will also probably need to grind a few burs out of the mag well. There is also a good chance that the front sight block on your WASR will be canted (check it carefully). If you put another $300-$400 dollars into it by sending it to someone like AK-USA then you will eventually end up with a decent rifle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#9]
i agree with the wasr needing the mag well grinding.

a friend purchased one and we had to grind out the mag well but the front sight isnt canted
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I had a SAR-1 and I currently own a SAR-3. They are good rifles which function reliably out of the box. However, these guns are no longer imported.

What are imported now are WASR's,If you put another $300-$400 dollars into it by sending it to someone like AK-USA then you will eventually end up with a decent rifle.

A Romanian WASR-10 is not worth another $300-$400 of improvement work. I'd rather take the $700 spent to make the WASR and buy something that's nice in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are imported now are WASR's,If you put another $300-$400 dollars into it by sending it to someone like AK-USA then you will eventually end up with a decent rifle.

A Romanian WASR-10 is not worth another $300-$400 of improvement work. I'd rather take the $700 spent to make the WASR and buy something that's nice in the first place.

That was where I was leading, with my usual brand of sarcasm.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top