Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 12/15/2016 12:44:51 PM EST
Ok, so I have very limited experience with AK rifles, I'm primarily an AR guy. That being said, I just purchased two Arsenal Arms AK 47's to add to the gun safe. My question is, what magazines are the most reliable ones for this particular brand? I've read that some mags don't fit right, or function reliably so I thought that I would get the opinion of those of you with some experience rather than just doing trial and error.

Thank you,

Tom
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:17:34 PM EST
Any of the dark metal surplus mags are fine. Don't bother with the light grey metal mags from Korea. Bulgarian circle 10 waffle pattern plastic mags are great too, but more expensive. My favorire are the metal Chinese mags, w/o the rear spine. I still find them for $10 each at the local gun show. GARY
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:41:06 PM EST
How are the PMAGs?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:43:42 PM EST
aim surplus is running a sale on metal mags. I'd go with metal.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:51:37 PM EST
Despite some of the early reported fitment issues I have had zero problems with the newest Croatian BHO mags in Yugo, Russian, and Romanian rifles.

These mags are brand new steel mags, very good quality, and are going as low as 7 bucks from PSA for "blemish" mags, which I have not been able to find the so called blemish on.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:52:07 PM EST
I just found some of the Arsenal Arms Bulgarian Circle 10 mag, but they are $47 each, seems a little steep, no?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:29:51 PM EST
Go with the good old comm bloc steel surplus mags, they are battle proven and almost indestructible.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:46:17 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Apocalypto-:
Go with the good old comm bloc steel surplus mags, they are battle proven and almost indestructible.
View Quote

and work as a bludgeoning tool when you run out of ammo.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:51:36 PM EST
Anyone have any experience with these??

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47P30
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 3:21:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By M4GunFighter:

View Quote

The Polish steel mags are good. 
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 4:25:02 PM EST
Expect to do some work on those polish mags. 3/5 of mine did not function properly due to large dents in the side that would seize the follower. Easy fix, but not all of those are plug and play.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 4:40:36 PM EST

View Quote

There are reports of some of these mags being rearsenaled with a coating of paint that is too thick to insert the mag into the rifle. Easy to correct but may be frustrating for some.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:46:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2016 5:47:53 PM EST by Dragynn]
Ok, so I have very limited experience with AK rifles, I'm primarily an AR guy. That being said, I just purchased two Arsenal Arms AK 47's to add to the gun safe. My question is, what magazines are the most reliable ones for this particular brand? I've read that some mags don't fit right, or function reliably so I thought that I would get the opinion of those of you with some experience rather than just doing trial and error.

Thank you,

Tom
View Quote

Stick with combloc steel, best deal going right now is at AIM surplus, Yugo mags for 8.95 if you buy ten or more, the mags are superb and this is the cheapest i've seen the very desirable yugo mags in years, they were 20 bucks a pop not long ago, they are much nicer than the Polish mags they have. If shipping seems high, e-mail or call them and ask for USPS shipping, it's considerably cheaper than the UPS quote you will get on the website. AIM is a superb company to deal with, a real class act.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47Y30
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:28:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:29:48 PM EST
You can't go wrong with any mili-spec mags made in countries that used AKs, be they steel or bakelite.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:55:22 PM EST
I would prefer to use the Euro pattern mags such as the Bulgarian, Romanian, Hungarian, etc. in an Arsenal rifle. Years ago I sold my last stash of brand new Chicom mags to a friend who badly wanted them. The Chicom mags seem to work ok but were a looser fit in my Euro pattern aks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:15:58 PM EST
The Aim mags are good to go.
Top Top