Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/2/2005 7:20:46 PM EDT
So let me get this straight. The NEW ban will now be on barrels?
Well is someone going to get rich quick in the US and gear up and make barrels?? I hope they can do it cheap enough so it isnt't that big of a deal for the consumer.

I would like to think that if the barrels will be made in the US there will be a variety of styles that we could experiment with.

But on the other hand I am new in the industry so I may just be ignant on the real way things work in this industry.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:49:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DefTanker:
So let me get this straight. The NEW ban will now be on barrels?
Well is someone going to get rich quick in the US and gear up and make barrels?? I hope they can do it cheap enough so it isnt't that big of a deal for the consumer.

I would like to think that if the barrels will be made in the US there will be a variety of styles that we could experiment with.

But on the other hand I am new in the industry so I may just be ignant on the real way things work in this industry.

The highest profit with the smallest investment is how every thing works now. They will be very high quality and high price or they will be worse than a Romanian one and still a little more expensive would be my guess.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:05:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 11:07:45 PM EDT by tapeo1]

Originally Posted By GenghisKhan:
The highest profit with the smallest investment is how every thing works now. They will be very high quality and high price or they will be worse than a Romanian one and still a little more expensive would be my guess.

What's poor quality about a Romanian barrel? I wasn't aware that they used substandard metal or forging for their barrels. I do know that in general, the Romanians did a better job at hard chroming their barrels than the Poles did.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:26:02 PM EDT
it would be easiest, I do believe, to take old GI barrles 3006, 308, etc, and rechamber them, and lathe them down to the correct diameter. This is within the realm of the average gunsmith. making a barrel from scratch is not. And from the prices I ahve seen, old military barrels are cheaper than brand new barrel blank. (correct me if I'm wrong)

And drilling a gas port is no big deal. install the gas block, and drill.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:02:32 AM EDT
But arnt 30.06 and .308 barrels .308 in diameter where the 7.62x39 is .311 in diameter? or am I miss remembering this info?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:04:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 45BArmorer:
But arnt 30.06 and .308 barrels .308 in diameter where the 7.62x39 is .311 in diameter? or am I miss remembering this info?

That's true. Unless you are talking about a Ruger 7.62x39.
Top Top