Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/2/2004 10:03:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2004 10:06:43 AM EST by JHaines]
Hi folks,

I decided to dremel off the weld on the bayonet lug of my SEAK, and noticed that when I put the bayonet on the rifle, there is a little bit of forward and backward "play"....In other words, the bayonet can move forward and backwards a few millimeters when attached to the rifle.

Is this normal for AK mounted bayonets ?

Also, now that I dremeled the weld off of the lug, the ORF blark finish came off, and you can see the bare metal below. Would brownell's alumahyde II in matte black work well in covering this up ?
Would it rub off easily with the attaching and removing the bayonet ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:03:40 PM EST
My NIB Bulgy kit w/matching # bayonet has some free play when mounted. About 1mm fore and aft and just the slightest wiggle left and right.
I also checked my CETME, M1A, AR15, and Imbel FAL...ALL of them have some wiggle room with the bayonet/lug enterface.
Remember when you have to mount your bayonet we are not talking about "precision engagements" here. All you have to be able to hit is center of torso at 1 metre!!!
Cheers and don't sweat it.
As for refinishing the steel...I would hit it with some cold blue then go over that with an enamal touch up paint, if you use Alumahyde, you will either have to mask off the rest of the rifle to prevent overspray or spay it into a cup and use a small brush.

Good Luck.
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:43:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:05:29 PM EST
Thanks for the replies.

Who carries cold black oxide ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:42:13 PM EST
Flat black Alumahyde II is an excellent touch-up match for ORF's Blark, that's what I used when restoring my bayonet lugs. Now, if I could just lay my hands on a GP-25 or GP-30 grenade launcher to use on that rear lug...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:53:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2004 3:53:20 AM EST by CAMPYBOB]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:32:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tomac:
Flat black Alumahyde II is an excellent touch-up match for ORF's Blark, that's what I used when restoring my bayonet lugs. Now, if I could just lay my hands on a GP-25 or GP-30 grenade launcher to use on that rear lug...
Tomac

Tomac -

How does the Alumahyde II hold up after putting the bayonet on and removing it over time ?
Top Top