Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/19/2003 5:42:42 PM EDT
Hello everyone- Hope you will all forgive my ignorance with this question.  I have a Norinco underfolder (yes a "preban" gun that I can actually perform an infantry charge with that bayonet lug!!!) that keeps hanging up on ammo- right on the bullet guide with SERVEAL different mags.  It strikes me that a heavier recoil spring would probably fix the problem, but I don't know if "heavy duty" AK springs are made, who would make them, and what a "standard" weight AK spring is?  Any help here would be MUCH appreciated!!
Bluetick82520 (in Wyoming)
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Sir-
I have NOT radiused the feed ramp yet (by the way, HOW do you do that !!!!) and its hanging on BOTH HP and FMJ ammo. Cal is 7.62X39
Thanks again for the help!!
Bluetick
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:44:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Campybob-
 I did radius the bullet guide like you suggested, and I STILL find that the hollow points jam up right on the leading edge of that bullet guide.  Anything I can do before I have to commit myself to FMJ only.  ( I have to say a Dremmel with first a tapered stone bit, followed by a buffing wheel with some red rouge and that feed ramp SHINES... It's literally mirror polished and I'm still having probs!!!)
Thanks again for any help you can gine me!!!
Bluetick
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Magazine trouble. The follower may not be slanting the cartridge up enough to hit the feed ramp properly. The spring may be in backward or the follower may need adjustment. The mag may be dirty/rusty on the inside. What kind and capacity mags are you using? I have never seen this kind of problem with clean military magazines in original, un-tampered with condition. You better leave that feed ramp alone before you really mess it up. A little polishing is okay, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
1saxman-
The problem I'm having is accross the board with MULTIPLE 30 rnd mags-
it's happening with brand new ribbed Russian and non-ribbed Chinese 30 rnds mags.
Campybob,
I guess my question is do I need to work on ALL of the magazines (literally I have about 15 of them total, but I have used ALL of them in a MAADI that I have had rebuilt with any probs...That gun and those mags went to Thunder Ranch with me and was one of the only 3 guns out of the 24 (yes TWENTY_FOUR) on the firng line that didn't hang up or malfunction in 2,000 rounds over a week!) or is there something else going on?
Again, my sincerest thanks for all the help!!
Bluetick
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay. Get a small bottle of MPC 'FP-10' gun oil. Use this as your cleaner, lubricant and protectant. Also, put a very small drop on your finger tip and rub it on the feed ramp until it's nearly dry. If this doesn't do it, there must be some problem with the design of the gun, although it doesn't seem likely. BTW, are you using lacquered steel case ammo? I was just thinking that brass cases might have just a little more drag coming out of the magazine than steel, but they work fine in most rifles. Maybe your original idea wasn't a bad one - recoil spring rate and condition absolutely can affect loading. Pop in a new recoil spring ass'y. and try it - you never know. All self-loaders require a certain velocity on the load stroke. Maybe your spring is broken or just weak.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#10]
1Saxman-
I'll give it a try tommorrow, and yes, it's that Russian Wolf ammo, although I have NEVER had problems like this in my MAADI before.
Again my thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how it works.
Bluetick
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top