Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/4/2002 5:59:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2002 6:04:07 PM EDT by Greenhorn]
I'm trying to decide which to get. I already have a .308 bolt-action and a bushy shorty AR-15, and now I want an inexpensive gun that takes inexpensive 7.62x39 that I can just blast around with. In anyone's opinion, are either better than the other in any way? I know that SKSs are cheaper, but darn it, the AK-47 looks cooler.

If I get an AK-47, are the Romanian ones (which, if I remember correctly, are pressed metal) really any less reliabable than a cast one?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 6:39:34 PM EDT
For me...

1. I prefer the rotating bolt design of the AK.

2. I prefer the one piece gas piston of the AK.

3. I prefer the high capacity detachable mags of the AK.

4. I prefer the ergonomics of the AK.

5. I prefer 5.45 x 39 or 5.56 x 45 which the SKS isn't chambered in.

6. I prefer being able to get a folding stock AK if I desire one.

To be fair, the SKS is a fine weapon, but the AK fits more of my criteria.

Also, the stamped AK is every bit as reliable as the milled one. Stamped is also considerably lighter. I recently sold my milled 7.62 AK and bought a stamped 5.45 AK. The weight difference is very noticeable.

Bradd
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 6:54:45 PM EDT
"an inexpensive gun that takes inexpensive 7.62x39 that I can just blast around with"

So you just need convincing comments to get a SAR1. Any chance of seeing you at the Tusco plate shoot 10/13?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:00:02 PM EDT
get both

they are both fun to shoot!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:01:53 PM EDT
Get the AK. Definately
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:39:32 PM EDT
"5. I prefer 5.45 x 39 or 5.56 x 45 which the SKS isn't chambered in."

Huh? How could it fit 7.62x39 AND those calibers?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:42:41 PM EDT
NO, There is 3 different caliber choices in the AK lineup
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:46:39 PM EDT
AK variants come chambered in 7.62 x 39, 5.45 x 39, 5.56 x 45, or 7.62 x 51 while the SKS is only chambered in 7.62 x 39. Sorry for the confusion.

Bradd
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:08:40 PM EDT
"So you just need convincing comments to get a SAR1. Any chance of seeing you at the Tusco plate shoot 10/13?"

Wats dat?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:16:58 PM EDT
Is it safe to get them over the internet, or should I pay a little more and get them from a gun store? For example, this guy has good ratings, but $199 for a new AK just seems a bit low.

www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=5622536

Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:27:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Greenhorn:
Is it safe to get them over the internet, or should I pay a little more and get them from a gun store? For example, this guy has good ratings, but $199 for a new AK just seems a bit low.

www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=5622536

I believe the key words contributing to that price are "single stack". I'm no AK expert, but I know to avoid them. Can't remember why other than they do not take normal AK mags.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:31:11 PM EDT
The price is low because the rifle only takes single stack magazines (10 rounders). In this particular case I would recommend buying locally so you can look the rifle over in person. Some guns can be bought sight unseen without too much concern, but the Romanian AK's sometimes have issues such as canted sights and gas blocks, gas pistons that rub inside the gas block, etc. You can easily find a good rifle, but you're better off looking it over first.

Bradd
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:50:44 PM EDT
Hoo boy. I just tried to register with Gunbroker. I filled out the form and clicked "continue", it said my username was taken, so I went back and changed the name, and now it says my e-mail address is already used! Anyone know what I can do?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 9:20:13 PM EDT
Your email is being used???? Not good.

Is it a free account like hotmail or is it through your ISP?

Is someone else in your household (that shares the same email) registered on gunbroker? Is it possible that you registered there before and forgot?

One solution would be to go get yourself a new free email account, but I would find out how your email is being used first.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 9:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2002 9:46:26 PM EDT by Greenhorn]
It worked the first time, but when I went back to change my username it didn't work. It's as if I'm in their files as a registered member even though I didn't get completely through the regrestration process.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 9:55:45 PM EDT
To answer your original question let me strongly advise the Bulgarian milled SA-M7S. Yes it costs as much as 4.5 SKS's but it is well worth it. You will have a battle rifle that you are proud of owning and it will see you through whatever hardships confront you.

-SouthernShark
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 9:57:18 PM EDT
I would reccomend getting an SAR-1, but get it in person if you can. I got mine from local gun stores. The price isn't much different from an SKS nowadays, except for the cheap Yugo ones, but I dislike those models. You definitely toss a coin when you purchase a SAR-1 over the Internet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 6:28:53 AM EDT
"Wats dat?"

Green- Tusco is a gun club near New Philadelphia, S of Canton. Steel plate shoots have about 14 heavy steel plates of varying sizes (roughly paper sheet size but finger thick) in both black and white at 70-90 yds. Two shooters line up, whistle blown, first with their color down wins. You can check out lots of hardware to answer questions at one of these events.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 7:28:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2002 7:32:00 PM EDT by Greenhorn]
I think I'm going to take a chance getting it over the internet and save a bit of money, but of course I'll make sure the seller has a good return policy and feedback.

That said, how exactly do I go about getting one? Do I win the auction first, and then get a signed copy of an FFL to send to the guy, or vice-versa?

Just to make sure I know how this works (remember, I'm a beginner, I've only been doing gun things for about five months), here's how I understand it: I win the auction and then get a signed FFL copy (or vice-versa), send it to the guy along with payment, he sends the gun to the FFL holder, I go to the store, pay the FFL guy a certain fee, and take the gun home?

Also, is there a certain kind (Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian, etc.) that I should look for that I could get from Gunbroker for less than $400 (for example, most of the Romanian ones are going for $350+-)?

Be patient, I'm still green. :-)
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 8:56:39 PM EDT
You've got it! That's exactly how it works. The only suggestion I will make is to find an FFL holder to receive the firearm prior to bidding on the auction. Depending on where you live it may be difficult finding someone and every FFL holder will charge a different fee and have different requirements. Go here to locate an FFL holder in your area...

www.gunbroker.com/user/DealerNetwork.asp

The going rate is usually about $25. My dealer only charges me $10, though.

$400 will put you into SAR or Maadi territory, although you can find MAK-90's for that if you don't mind the thumbhole stock.

Bradd
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 11:01:23 AM EDT
I recommend GunsAmerica just for the fact that it it isn't an auction, you just buy outright. I say go with a SAR-series rifle. They're not the prettiest AK variant, but they're relatively inexpensive and dependable. That's what you're after, isn't it? The SAR line consists of SAR-1 in 7.62X39, SAR-2 in 5.45X39, and SAR-3 in .223. Below is a link to a listing of SAR-series rifles on GunsAmerica.

www.gunsamerica.com/searches/PaCFQX8AAAEAABMn1rM-1.htm
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:32:09 PM EDT
aimsurplus.com has new Romanian SAR-1s for $300 + shipping, which seems like a good deal. Now are all Romanian SAR-1s the same, or should I ask if it has certain features such as chrome barrel, et cetra?

Also, This is the first I've heard of SAR-1s. Is SAR-1 to AK-47 as AR-15 is to M-16, I.E. civilian version of AK-47?
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 9:05:22 AM EDT
Aim has a great reputation for service, and weeding out crud in their shipments. Not perfect but darned good. What part of Ohio do you live in anyway?
SAR1 is a Romanain AK47, simply semi automatic rifle #1 to them. SAR2 is 5.45x39 and SAR3 is .223 caliber. All have the same features of chrome bbl, side rail mount for scopes, and accept hi-cap mags.
Varied imperfect finish, but the best AK value out there for a gun that you want to use really hard. Many cases thru mine, and a pistol grip screw re-tightening is the only sign of wearing it out :)
All SAR triggers are varied in feel/results a bit as they are cheapo US parts count items from Century. Mine was fair, but the $80 FCG from Red Star Arms is superb!
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 12:32:19 PM EDT
I live in the nice college town of Oxford, 10-15 miles north of Hamilton.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:32:23 AM EDT
I thought they were offered in 5.45x39,5.56x45,7.62x39, and 7.62x54 not 7.62x51.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 12:17:23 PM EDT
Too far to sample toys with us at Tusco, but you are very close to Aim and they let you buy direct there. Why pay shipping and ffl fees when you can just go there and get a heap of ammo at the same time. Aim usually weeds out the clunkers, but you can make sure it is not one of the few crooked ones at their sales counter.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 12:44:28 PM EDT
definitely check out Aim surplus if you are nearby. Good thing I'm not as I'd probably be broke.

The SAM-7 is an excellent rifle as I understand. It is milled.

A new outfit is at www.ak-103.com. Don't know much about them but sure looks impressive as hell. I'd be interested in the carbine myself! Schmidt posted about his rifle here a few times and it might be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 3:33:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Greenhorn: If I get an AK-47, are the Romanian ones (which, if I remember correctly, are pressed metal) really any less reliabable than a cast one?

Where in the hell did you hear that? That's not true at all. Stamped metal technology has been employed since the late 1950s by the Soviets, and the AKM (stamped version of the AK-47) which is far more prolific than the old milled steel receiver AK-47 that weighs 9 lbs. The stamped AKM, like the Romanian SAR-1, will serve you quite well, as it has served 3rd world f#$kos all over quite well.

Anyway, a SAR-1 is what you're looking for. The gun will work fine, but it's ugly, and the monkeys at Century tend to put the front sight on crooked, the gas block on crooked, etc. If you like the gun after buying and shooting it for awhile, you'll probably want to put better furniture on it, have a gun smith straighten the front sight out, etc. It's a worthwhile investment, and I have a SAR-2 (5.45x39) that I'm currently in the process of having it fixed up.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 1:33:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2002 1:56:17 PM EDT by Greenhorn]

Where in the hell did you hear that? That's not true at all. Stamped metal technology has been employed since the late 1950s by the Soviets, and the AKM (stamped version of the AK-47) which is far more prolific than the old milled steel receiver AK-47 that weighs 9 lbs. The stamped AKM, like the Romanian SAR-1, will serve you quite well, as it has served 3rd world f#$kos all over quite well.

Some guy at Target World in Sharonville Ohio told me that stamped metal AKs were less reliable than milled.

Too far to sample toys with us at Tusco, but you are very close to Aim and they let you buy direct there. Why pay shipping and ffl fees when you can just go there and get a heap of ammo at the same time. Aim usually weeds out the clunkers, but you can make sure it is not one of the few crooked ones at their sales counter.

Yeah, I realized that just about a week and a half ago. So Friday I drove over there to get an SAR-1, but they were out. They had SAR-3s, but I already have a .223 rifle. So I got 600 rounds of SA .223 and went home. I'll be going over there next Thursday to get an SAR-1 (if they're in - they supposedly will come in Wednesday).

What a relief. I almost paid $30 extra for shipping/FFL, and AIM is only 45 minutes from where I live!

As for the quality of the gun, it's supposedly new, so it should be fine, right?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 2:00:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Greenhorn:

As for the quality of the gun, it's supposedly new, so it should be fine, right?

I doubt you'll have any problems if you check it out well.

1) Make sure both sights and gastube line up with barrel and each other. This is the main thing.

2)check bore for use, pitting, etc.

3)Make sure it cycles ok. You may have a little hang up when bolt goes over hammer but it should be minimal. Bolt and carrier should go all the way forward.

There really is not much that can go wrong with an AK but if anyone can screw one up it'll be Century. I looked at a bunch before I found mine and it is awesome for an SAR-1. Even the wood is nice. However I put a black poly stockset on it. Stock would be the least of my concerns in other words.

You'll need mags. And more mags also. But you can ask about those later. If you can find any Bulgarian waffle mags for a good price buy them NOW.

SAR's are infamous for trigger slap. This can also be remedied if it is a problem in your rifle. I put a Redstar FCG in mine and it is awesome as well. All in all I've got about $580 in mine but it was worth every penny.

Recommend a boresnake for cleaning.

Think I've beat it to death but if you have more questions just ask.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 2:04:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mstirton:
I thought they were offered in 5.45x39,5.56x45,7.62x39, and 7.62x54 not 7.62x51.

I'm not aware of an AK in 7.62 x 54R, but there are Yugo AK's chambered in 7.62 x 51.

Bradd
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 4:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2002 4:33:44 PM EDT by Greenhorn]
What is trigger slap? I've heard of it a lot here, but never heard its meaning.

Edited to add: never mind, I just looked it up.
Top Top