Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/3/2004 1:51:55 PM EST
This is probably the wrong group to ask this question.

My son (12 years old) just finished his hunter saftey course. I would like to follow in the tradition my father started and buy him a rifle for deer hunting. When I asked him what he might like, he said an AK. ( I have a WASR and SEAK- He has fired both).

Is it practicle to hunt with an AK? I have a ruger Mk 77 in .308 and the SEBR AR-10 also in .308. One of my hunting partners also has a .308. What about something like a CETME?

I seem to remember someone saying that the balistics are somewhat like a 30-30.

Why should I buy/not buy my son an AK-47 for deer hunting?

Thanks,

Sauramen
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:07:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 2:10:14 PM EST by scromer]
I know lots of folks, me included, who have hunted successfully with 7.62x39 soft points.

I think a WASR or a SKS would be just fine. You can get a weaver rail bracket for the AK, and you should be fine out to 200-250 yards. I've deer hunted with a SKS. I used it as my brush gun early in the season before the leaves had fallen.

The rifle you choose is not as important as the safety instruction you give and time you spend together.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:13:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:16:16 PM EST
I would start him out with something a little less easy to get carried away with personally. When he is older and less likely to get overly exited then an AK or other such military semi-auto would be more practical, IMO.

A young hunter is going to get exited enough when he sees a deer that mag-dumps and pot-shooting could accure despite his shooting experience at that point.

Get him a 30.06 or a 30-30 lever gun or something and go from there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:30:56 PM EST
I belive that a AK chambered for 7.62x39mm is a very good deer rifle because of it's low price,low recoil and cheap ammo prices. The 7.62x39mm cartridges preformance is equal to the most popular deer cartridge in America the 30-30 Winchester.
Your son can get lots of practice before deer season as ammo is half the price of 308 ammo and the low recoil will not cause flinching or shoulder brusies like with a bolt action 308.
I have a couple of nice deer skins in my bedroom from deer shot with a SKS rifle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:48:25 PM EST
I just shot a deer last month with my SAR-2
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:49:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:56:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 2:56:58 PM EST by BallisticTip]
Ballistics, 30-30 Win, 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:12:21 PM EST
I used to use a MAK-90 with iron sights, and it served me great. Took many a deer with it, including the huge one I have sitting on my wall.

Of course, where I hunt you usually don't get shots over 100 yards. In fact, most I've taken are 75 and under.

Always used SP ammo, and never had one run more than 20 yards or so. And some drop straight in their tracks.

I don't see an inherent harm with getting your kid an AK. Just use common sense, as you would with any other guns. And get him TONS of practice between now and November!

Good luck with your decision, and happy hunting!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:05:53 AM EST
Works great IMHO just give him a 5 or 10rd mag so he can't get carried away.
Make sure to use a quality softpoint.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:19:30 AM EST
i've carried an AK while deer hunting and plan on doing it again this year. they'll work in bad weather, when dirty, etc. SKS would be a decent choice but i don't want to ding up my stock.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:51:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By ShamusMcOI:
I used to use a MAK-90 with iron sights, and it served me great. Took many a deer with it, including the huge one I have sitting on my wall.

Of course, where I hunt you usually don't get shots over 100 yards. In fact, most I've taken are 75 and under.

Always used SP ammo, and never had one run more than 20 yards or so. And some drop straight in their tracks.

I don't see an inherent harm with getting your kid an AK. Just use common sense, as you would with any other guns. And get him TONS of practice between now and November!

Good luck with your decision, and happy hunting!

I can vouch for what Shamus said. Get fairly close, aim for the big part, and take your deer home. Plus, the AK has less recoil and a shorter stock so those traits fit a 12 year old shooter very well. He needs a fairly light weight, easy to handle carbine. If his accuracy is less than stellar with iron sights you can grab a PSO type scope for less than $100, and those are fine optics.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:23:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 6:31:57 AM EST by monkeyman]
I shot a few (4) deer with the 7.62x39 and frankly I am not impressed. The heavier 154 gr bullet is better than the 122 or 124 gr. but still no way near as good as a 170 gr 30-30. I've had bullets break up on the shoulder and others run away and needing hours of tracking. Anything shot with my 308, 35 rem , 30-30 or 375 win have gone right down

IMHO, AKs and SKSs are not very accurate. Better to start off with a non semi auto like a lever action or bolt gun.

My youngest brother started hunting with an SKS and moved on to somthing better. Most of the guys around here who hunt with SKS are what we call casual hunters. They go hunting to get away from home and rarely get anything.

I hunted once with a HK91, the thing was so friggen heavy by the end of the day I nearly had to drag it back to camp.

Oh, I do have AKs, SKSs, a CETME and numerous others miltary type rifles but I hunt with traditional guns.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:40:47 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:48:28 AM EST
I have to agree with Monkeyman. While there isn't anything out right wrong with hunting with the 7.62x39 .Or to say an AK , there is alot better rifle made for the task of dropping game. You said you had bolt guns.Thats what he needs to start with. The AK is fine in the hands of experiance user's .But a 100 yard shot with and AK and a 100 yard shot with a scoped Bolt gun in 3006 is different. IMO. Now talking about even farther distance and that opens up alot more concerns for a youngster with the AK. While I might be killing and eating the beast of choice for the day,> I try to take it clean and I guess thats showing Mother Nature some respect for what it's worth. I have no problems useing an AK for short range shot's. Leave to longer stuff to good Bolt guns or battle rifles anyhow. IMO , Cheers and hope your hunting season goes great. WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:13:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:

the sks is the number 1 deer rifle in west virginia.

I resemble that remark!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:54:28 PM EST
I have taken 8 deer with my CETME. It works as a fine 250 and closer rifle. The 308 leaves a good impression on the deer. Here in Oklahoma I have to shoot farther alot times. Then a Savage in 25-06 gets the nod. But CETME would not be good for a first timer. It is way to heavy to tote and kicks a little much IMHO. Never shot a deer with AK but have shot a few coyotes. Over 200 yards and you might as well just yell at the critter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:01:04 AM EST
Top Top