Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2003 7:24:13 PM EDT
Why was a bolt hold-open design never adopted into later AK-47 models? It seems like a logical progression.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:48:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2003 7:51:49 PM EDT by Templar]
There was no real perceived need for it.

The Yugoslavs use a magazine that holds the bolt open on the last round with the follower, but as soon as you remove the magazine, the bolt slams home.

It should be mentioned that the Brits (L1A1)and Germans G3, HK 33)did not think highly of bolt hold open either.

Why mess with the a system that has almost perfect reliablity and simplicity?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:49:28 AM EDT
Because not having a bolt-hold open enhances reliabilty. The less you have the action open, the less there is a chance of getting sand, dirt, crap, etc blown into it. This is wy the Brit L1A1 doesn't have one, even though the Canadian C1A1, and the rest of the FALs do.

The Romak-3 does have a real last round bolt hold open. It's an actual spring loaded lever that works just like the one in the AR. There's no external release button, but you just hit the op handle after putting in a full mag and it releases the bolt.

I personally like last round hold-opens, but obviously it isn't a nescecity for a gun to be useful in combat. The M1 Carbine, nearly every open bolt SMG (like Thompson, Sten, MP40), the MP5 and the G3, most machine guns, et al. don't have a last round hold open.

I never bothered to look at the one in my Romak-3 to see how hard it would be to put one in an AK. I guess that's what I'll be messing with next.

Ross
Top Top