Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 5:25:35 PM EDT
Just finished my 74 build..

The mag has a wobble to it...there is a slight gap in betweenthe mag catch and the selector stop plate.

I took the the selector stop off and ground it down...still has a little wobble to it.

I was thinking of putting a set screw in from the top to give a liitle more preesure on the mag

Lets here your ideas..

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It is kind of excessive...

I think I mounted the front trunion too far forward...about 1/16-1/8 of an inch.

Do you think the set screw would work?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not following you on the set screw idea.  I would think that a small tack weld at the point where the front of the mag locks into the front trunnion could possibly fix the mag wobble.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]
is it loose front to back or side to side???  my thoughts exactly tapeo1...u can weld up the front hook part in the trunion and grind back out w/ a dremel
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Another question, would one have to use an actual welder or could a tack be put in by using a mapp torch and a brazing rod.  Would the heat from the torch weaken the trunnion if this were done?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
i dont think it would.....not too much stress there.....altho too much heat will make it brittle
u would want to make it a fast as possible process either way as to not leave a lot of heat on it
A $200 mig welder really does come in handy...i use mine alot and like to weld so mine is alittle more expensive
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I am having the same issue...it's my first 545 build, and a Krink, so I want the mag to fit.

I compared my build to the trigger guard on a Tantal kit, and it's the same, besides that I was under the impression that AK47 and AK74 mag catch parts were the same...

I'm going to weld up the catch with my TIG, but I don't understand why I have to....
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#8]
TheNorm,

I'm guessing the problem is that the front trunnion was placed slightly too far forward.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#9]
norm your playin with $600+ in parts
spend the extra 60 bucks and buy a new rec

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:17:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
TheNorm,

I'm guessing the problem is that the front trunnion was placed slightly too far forward.

No, front to back is fine (I'm really particular about the front trunion and rear block placement...I like the mag and dust cover to fit perfectly), it's the mag latch to mag plate distance that seems to big. There is tons of play between the tang on the mag and where it's supposed to be captured between the mag catch and spacer plate...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:25:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
norm your playin with $600+ in parts
spend the extra 60 bucks and buy a new rec

Huh?
This is a GT 545 rec. The magwell dim's are ok. Plus it's my Ghetto Fab Krink, not an actual Krink kit, though the time I have into it so far is getting close to the cost.

I took the spacer plate and ground it down slightly where the trigger guard mounts on it, then took a little off the trigger guard feet as well. Took extra care to suck up the extra space when I riveted it, and it is much better than the first time.

I wonder if I have 2 mags (Polish?) that are different than other 74 mags...I have a million 47 mags so I always have a variety of types to try on my 47 builds...but this is my first 545, so I don't have experience or a pile of mags yet.

Better pics when I test and refinish it...and fix a little mistake you may or may not notice...(and yes I have the stamp...)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the relies...

It has slop in both directions.

I think the front trunion is too far forward...this would explain the front to back wobble, but not the side to side.

I am using Bulgy mags...they are all used...but not crap.

I have built 10 47s on GT recievers...no probs at all

This rciever is a OO..ITM..I have built 2 47s on these and they have a little slop with Polish metal mags..and I damn neer have to hammer a tanker mag in...Polish polys work great.

I was thinking of drilling a hole from inside the reciever down into the mag catch area..that way I could push the rear of the mag down(essentially making the space between catch and reciever smaller).....but the welding idea sounds better.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#13]
BTW and a big BTW.....before u go to far try some other mags
had a krink that would not feed right and tried another mag and all worked great...ya never know!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried all of the Bulgarian mags ( thats all I have now ) 12 of them...no dice

Thanks for the tip....
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top