Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2006 5:25:21 PM EDT
I'm looking for a red dot optic that will cowitness with the iron sights when installed on the Ultimak mount of my AK47 (Global Trades Model SSR-85-C2).  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a friend with a jpoint sight on his sam-7. It was  mounted on the ultimak and it cowitnessed perfectly. The dot was right at the top of the front sight post. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Aimpoint, SPOT MkIII, Burris XTS and similar 30mm tube optics should all work, provided your rings are sufficiently low.  The cheapie "beercan" style sights with the integral mount (BSA et al) will also cowitness. EOThings, Trijicon Reflex, Mepro21 and OKO all sit up too high.

Link Posted: 10/20/2006 2:46:05 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
Aimpoint, SPOT MkIII, Burris XTS and similar 30mm tube optics should all work, provided your rings are sufficiently low.

Thanks for the info.  I really don't want to spend the big bucks for an Aimpoint but I want something more durable than the low end optics, ie BSA and the like.  The Burris XTS looks interesting but I can't get any technical specs from the website.  The SPOT MKIII also looks interesting but I am not sure about the durability as it's made in South Korea and the price puts it close to the low end.  Any comments about the durability of the SPOT?
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]

$35 simmons with over 5k rapid fire rounds through it without any loss of zero or a single hitch. im definately sold on it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#6]
How is the balance of the rifle for fast tactical type shooting?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Muzzle heavy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Any comments about the durability of the SPOT?

I personally own four of them, and run them on a 10/22, a .223 AK, a 5.45 AK, and a 9mm SMG.  These guns aren't safe queens, and none of the sights have failed. I also know of an LEO who used one on his Arsenal SAM-7 (7.62x39) during a Pat Rogers carbine course (~1000 rounds in 3 days) with no ill effects. That even got Pat's attention!  

Rumor has it that the SPOT and the Burris XTS are made in the same factory in Korea. Don't know if that's true or not, but the two sights are very similar.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:02:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Muzzle heavy.

That of course depends on the individual arrangement.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#10]
mine balances well and the quickest of all my guns to gain a great sight picture with.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#11]
The SPOT and the Burris are indeed made at the same site, but the Burris has improved and more durable parts. The Burris is waterproof; the SPOT is not. The SPOT comes with a mount; Burris will sell you mounts of differing heights. Tasco has an offering very similar to both. It is on sale at Midway for ~$115. I have both the Burris and the SPOT. I like the location of the side mounted rheostat; the off-hand can adjust dot intensity without obscuring the sight picture. The Burris is on my SHTF gun; the SPOT on a plinker.

Somewhere here on ARFCOM is an indepth review of the SPOT and several threads comparing it to the Burris.

I need another dot-sight and will try the Tasco TS.

The standard Aimpoint mount will co-witness these sights on a flat-top AR, but the shorter mounts  are needed to co-witness with an A2 gooseneck mount (as well as the RRA UTE style upper). The shorter mount is also needed on an AK.

I have many ProPoints on various weapons. They are cheap and have the 30mm profile similar to the Aimpoint/SPOT/Burris style dot-sights, co-witnessing the same. IMHO, they are the best entry level sight, superior to the BSA beer can variety. The SPOT and new Tasco would be the next step up.

Stay away from the J-Point or any of its relatives. It is NOT made to withstand any abuse! It is far more expensive than the BSA style and yet MORE fragile (if that were possible!?).

buckmeister

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Leupold-Gilmore 35 using the factory mounts on an AMD 65 with the Ultimak.  The iron sights are at the very bottom of the L-G 35.  The L-G 35 is over five years old and has been on 223 and 308 rifles.  I am very happy with this setup.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top