Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/3/2005 8:00:39 PM EDT
I was checking out www.aimsurplus.com and they have complete WASR rifles for a little over 300.  I know not to expect a cosmetically perfect gun but these are relatively decent AKs right?  All I want is a "beater" gun that I can have some fun with at 50 yards.  This looked like a good deal but I just wanted to throw it by you guys first.

Oh and I plan on refinishing the furniture on whatever model I buy so the quality of the wood finish isn't important just the quality of the gun.

here is a direct link http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/NEW_AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Bayonet_Lug___Muzzle_Break.html
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:15:05 AM EDT
[#1]
the wsar is a fine gun. some people are rough on them because they dont have mag dimples aand the mags wobble a little bit. there is also a chance for canted FSB, but i've never heard of any comming from good dealers like aim. either way, its an easy thing to fix. there is also a chance of "trigger slap", but thats an easy fix also.

all the ak's will go bang when you pull the trigger. at 50 yards my wsar puts the holes on top of each other. the wood on the wsar's also refinishes very nicely once you strip it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool.  I just wanted to make sure that AIM's price when compared to others is normal and they aren't sending a gun worthy only of melting down out the door.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#3]
no no. nothing like that. aim has great prices and they're good peoples.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#4]
If you dont like what you get from AIM I bet they will make it right.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish my fiance wasn't as smart as she is.  I might be able to sneak another gun in before the year is up.  Maybe if I sell some car parts I can justify it.  I've already cleaned out a ton of old junk just to pay for my AR this year.

The best selling factor of the AK is how cheap it is in my situation and especially the ammo cost as compared to other calibers, it's like shooting highpower .22lr (cost wise).
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I wish my fiance wasn't as smart as she is.  I might be able to sneak another gun in before the year is up.  Maybe if I sell some car parts I can justify it.  I've already cleaned out a ton of old junk just to pay for my AR this year.

The best selling factor of the AK is how cheap it is in my situation and especially the ammo cost as compared to other calibers, it's like shooting highpower .22lr (cost wise).

just remember

its easier to ask forgiveness than beg permission.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I like Aim, I have bought from Aim, and will buy from them again.

With that out of the way, BS on the no canted FSB. I had to look through three or four before I came across one that was canted the least. Of the ones I looked at, they were ALL canted (some badly). The one I purchased had the least cant andI was not going to waste their time inspecting more than 3 or 4. I chose the best one of the four. It only took seconds to inspect each one. The counter person, however, was patient and willing to let me inspect as many as I wanted.

They also state clearly that all sales are final.

One coincidental thing that wrankled me a little was that they did not charge my friend that purchased just before me the "$15 background check fee". He did not even really inspect his purchase. When it was my turn, I quickly and politely looked at the few to check for bad canting (I was expecting some canting, not perfection) and I was charged the $15 or whatever fee. Apparently my friend was not even aware of the fee and could not remember ever being charged for it on previous purchases. Perhaps it was just oversight, I really don't know, but it did not sit well with me.

Still, Aim is my favorite place. :D

The one I bought shoots fine (but sighting it in was a little 'different' for me with the cant; windage first, THEN elevation) and the mags do not wobble. I am much pleased with it.

Just make sure you inspect for extreme cant. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a AK GPWASR from AIM, complete with bayonet, two mags, and <hands on face in disbelief> a flash hider!!

AND, worse yet - I have more than 1,000 rounds of ammo!!!

Clearly I am the nightmare of the left!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I think AIM SURPLUS is a great company to deal with. I have bought should I say way too much from them of late and everything they sent me is better than expected. I want to get one of the WASR AK's that AIM has for $319.00 with all the accessories. I think that is a fair price for a fun shooting rifle.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top