Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » SKS
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:26:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 6:27:49 AM EDT by MikeHunter]
i just got a extra russian and i decided to screw around with it. since i cant use my stock one for hunting due to the mag size i decided to make a bubb'ed one for shits and giggles. so down to my question, would a new firing pin and spring which are made in america count towards the total number of us made parts? here is my tentitive list.

All the us made parts im thinking of:

ATI drag stock or monte stock not sure which yet
the gas piston
the piston tube with heat sheild
Firing pin
firing pin spring
bi pod on bayo lug
detach mags (various sizes 5 and 30's)
new mag release
mag adaptor
scope mounts
new rear sight
new front sight
new dust cover

by my count that is like 15 parts is that accurate?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:49:46 PM EDT
tag for answer
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:12:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MikeHunter:
i just got a extra russian and i decided to screw around with it. since i cant use my stock one for hunting due to the mag size i decided to make a bubb'ed one for shits and giggles. so down to my question, would a new firing pin and spring which are made in america count towards the total number of us made parts? here is my tentitive list.

All the us made parts im thinking of:

ATI drag stock or monte stock not sure which yet Drag stock may push you into the features category because in some cases they are deemed a pistol grip. You can thank the BATF for not clarifying that issue but they did issue something about no new thumbhole stocks. Monte Carlo stocks "should" count as the buttstock.
the gas piston counts as one replacement part
the piston tube with heat sheild Should count as the "upper" handguard, but since technically your stock and forearm are one piece, I could see the BATF trying to toss this out as a replacement part
Firing pin does not count
firing pin spring does not count
bi pod on bayo lug here we go with features again, bayonet lug = BAD, especially when you already plan to use detachable magazines, and you intend to install a "pistol grip" dragunov stock
detach mags (various sizes 5 and 30's)only counts when attached to the rifle and it gives you the body, follower, and floorplate (i.e. 3 parts)
new mag release does not count
mag adaptordoes not count
scope mountsdoes not count
new rear sight does not count
new front sight does not count
new dust cover does not count

by my count that is like 15 parts is that accurate? I come up with way less, and if you happen to detach the mag from your rifle in front of a BATF agent, you instantly lose 3 parts. One has to love these silly laws

Also, you can always ask the BATF for a ruling, just don't hold your breath waiting for their response. Finally, check here: Ten or Less Game
Page AK-47 » SKS
Top Top