Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 5:49:27 PM EDT
I'm doing my first AK build soon and want to keep it safe/legal/functional.  My plan is to do a rommy, and I'm gathering parts.  I have some questions I was hoping someone could clear up for me.  

1) 922r requires me to use 6 compliance parts on a rommy, or any stamped AK.  I have seen a TON of people talking about furniture, gas pistons, and breaks, but barely anyone talking about compliance mag parts.  I've seen followers and floorplates relatively cheap - my question is is there any reason I should NOT use the origonal furniture/pistons?  It seems to me the simplest solution would be to go the 1-Receiver 2,3,4-G2 group 5-follower 6, floorplate.

2) Is there something wrong with US made AK mags?  Just out of curiosity, everyone seems to hate them!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
us mags suck. to put it blunt- its a waste of your time. there are some people who will say that they have worked fine, but there is no reason to use them, especially not for the part count. imo, the same goes with the mag follow/floorplate.

i made an order from somewhere, dont recall, and ordered a us follower out of curiousity. the tapco peice of crap doesn't work. its terrible. it wont feed all the rounds and doesn't hold the last one in place. it just wobbles all over the place causing bad feeds. true of both bulgy and surplus steel mags(and a lot of them). its a waste.

i understand the concern with saving money, and you could probably get by with a floor plate, although i've never used them. i just dont see the US part being screwed up.. all it has to do is have a hole in it.

i would look into a US break or furniture. its nice to not have to think about the mag you have in there. i belive midwest armory has US marked slant breaks, that would put you at 5 parts. a US PG is cheap, pick the design. just my opinon of course. it just seems like its worth the money to fix the problem so you never have to think about it.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
us mags suck. to put it blunt- its a waste of your time. there are some people who will say that they have worked fine, but there is no reason to use them, especially not for the part count. imo, the same goes with the mag follow/floorplate.

i made an order from somewhere, dont recall, and ordered a us follower out of curiousity. the tapco peice of crap doesn't work. its terrible. it wont feed all the rounds and doesn't hold the last one in place. it just wobbles all over the place causing bad feeds. true of both bulgy and surplus steel mags(and a lot of them). its a waste.

i understand the concern with saving money, and you could probably get by with a floor plate, although i've never used them. i just dont see the US part being screwed up.. all it has to do is have a hole in it.

i would look into a US break or furniture. its nice to not have to think about the mag you have in there. i belive midwest armory has US marked slant breaks, that would put you at 5 parts. a US PG is cheap, pick the design. just my opinon of course. it just seems like its worth the money to fix the problem so you never have to think about it.

Big +1 US mags suck, and worrying about if a few of your mags are not 922 is a major hassle. Many US manufactured mag parts are way substandard to the military imports.

Also, if you go shooting with your buddies, and they hand you a mag, that's technically against the law...if all your stuff is in the truck mixed with theirs it "could be" constructive possesion...

Major hassle...

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#3]
never mess with the inherent reliability of original commie mags! Use the US parts elsewhere that does not effect reliability...ie piston, stock, FH
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top