Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:23:14 AM EDT
Where can I find a prebent receiver with a template?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered (2) for my Yugo buils from AKparts.com. they came bent with no holes and with a template. $45 each for the yugo's I don't know about the standard receivers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Marsh Hawk Arms has standard blanks and Yugo blanks. I've used a few of them and they work great.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Since these aren't drilled can they be sold to myself in California?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
If they are drilled can I use the same Reciever for yugos and Romys???  Will the rivets line up the same, same holes same places???
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I think 80% receivers can be shipped to any state.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If they are drilled can I use the same Reciever for yugos and Romys???  Will the rivets line up the same, same holes same places???

The receivers can be used for both... with a little fabrication. The Yugos have a bulged front trunnion the Romy's don't. also the holes in a 100% rec. or a flat are different for both the front and rear trunnions from yugo to Romy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The receivers can be used for both... with a little fabrication. The Yugos have a bulged front trunnion the Romy's don't. also the holes in a 100% rec. or a flat are different for both the front and rear trunnions from yugo to Romy.

Forgive my ignorance, FRONT TRUNION???  I thought the trunion is at the back of the reciever, where the stock slips in?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The trunnion is the block that holds the barrel.  There is no such thing as a rear trunnion on an AK-type rifle.

www.dictionary.net/trunnion

Trunnion \Trun"nion\, n.  1. (Gun.) A cylindrical projection on each side of a piece, whether gun, mortar, or howitzer, serving to support it on the cheeks of the carriage. See Illust. of Cannon.

The trunnions mount the barrel to the carriage or frame of the weapon.

www.atf.gov/firearms/rules/2003-1.pdf

Notice specifically where cut number 1 is made.

You can call the rear block whatever you want (rear block, stock tang, etc.), but calling it a trunnion is the same as referring to the engine of your car as the transmission.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:38:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Where can I find a prebent receiver with a template?

bentmetal.homestead.com/bentmetal.html

Robert Ibe has these blanks available in 0.040" and 0.050" thickness.  I used one on my .45ACP conversion, and it was a very nice piece to work with.

He also carries blanks with the step for the Yugo/RPK trunnion.  I plan on using one of these for my Romanian RPK, since my rifle did not have the dimpled receiver.

For templates, there are several different versions available.  I would look around for all the available ones and print them out for comparison.  One of the templates I downloaded was significantly off from the others.  The Ace Arms version 2 template seem to be pretty close.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Any more sources for prebent receiver blanks AND templates for them?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
So they can't be drilled AND bent. That's the last 20%, right? The pre drilled ones seem to be thinner, .030, and the unbent flats thicker, .050. That matter a lot?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Marsh Hawks blanks are .O50, already bent, but not drilled or anything cut out. Just a bent piece ofmetal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I just placed an order through coldsteel for a .40.  This is my first build, so it is obviously my first purchase from them.  Any suggestions or advise from those who have had the coldsteel receiver would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#14]
So you follow the glued on paper template and scribe marks onto the bent metal.  Then remove the template and dremel away. Heat treat and you're done, right? That sure sounds do-able. How do you get the larger indentations in the sides?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So you follow the glued on paper template and scribe marks onto the bent metal.  Then remove the template and dremel away. Heat treat and you're done, right? That sure sounds do-able. How do you get the larger indentations in the sides?

You forgot welding in the rails.  I suppose the Mag demples are optional since WSAR-10's don't have them but your mags will wobble.  I guess one could also weld in a spacer inside the mag well in place of the demples.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Jmkrick, I just got mine tonite from www.gunsgutsandgod.com and could not be happier.  Template attached, 35 bucks a piece and worth it....mine are Yugo, he has others..
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks I will check them out.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top