Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 11:49:36 AM EDT
Any of you guys use this round to hunt? Is there any manufacturer out there with a decent soft point? Any possibility for Elk or should one stick to smaller game like deer?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#1]
A couple of friends of mine both for years have used old beater Moisin Nagent rifles for deer hunting.  Works great!

By the way, a buddy at work returned a couple weeks back from an elk hunting trip.  Both he and his wife each got an elk using  .308 with 150 grain Nosler bullets.   I'm partial to .308 as well, I think the big magnum rounds are too much for most purposes.  (but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!)

Just browsing, I see up to 240 grain in the 7.62x54R round.  More than adequate

try google .com

search:

7.62 x 54R soft point
7.62x54R soft point

and you'll get lots of suppliers

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Prvi Partizan makes good hunting ammo.
Just got a doe with my Finn M39
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Prvi Partizan makes good hunting ammo.
Just got a doe with my Finn M39

I've seen this ammo on a couple different retailer sites. Never heard of it but it may be one to look into.

Quoted:
The Russian ones are big hammers for sure, but win no awards for expansion/retention.
Also try the Hunting forum on Parallax's C&R board

Yeah, I didn't think there would be that great of a selection for well built bullets. I guess I should just get into reloading. I'll try that site though, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Prvi Partisan is excellant ammo.  You may remember it as Hansen.  

Norma and Lapua also make excellent rounds but are very expensive.

My solution is .311 Sierra Game King bullets.  Pull the military bullet and replace with the western soft point.  Has worked qiute well at far less cost than reloading or buying "good" ammo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Norma makes a good but exspensive hunting round in the 7.62x54r

here is a link to sportsman guide

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=144159
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top