Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/17/2006 9:36:48 AM EDT
Okay, I have about 4k rounds of Polish Surplus which is corrosive, and I was just wondering if there is any non-corrosive 54R ammo?  

Ive heard people say there is, and then Ive heard people say that there is no such thing as non-corrosive 54R ammo.

Also, how is the Wolf ammo, non-corrosive, less corrosive?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I can only answer your Wolf question, I have used a lot of the different calibers of wolf ammo.  To the best of my knowledge none of the Wolf ammo is corrosive at all.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
as a general rule anything surplus is corrosive, anything commercial isn't
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got Barnaul 7.62x54 that is non corrosive.  Corrosive ammo is no problem as long as you clean with some Windex.  Plink all you want, clean your bore and bolt and you will have no problem.  All of those M1's survived WWII with corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have shot Wolf and Brown Bear 7.62x54r. Neither is corrosive. They both were decent and more accurate than surplus. Also Privi Partisan, FNM, Norma, and Winchester all make non-corrosive 7.62x54r.

Corrosive ammo is fine if you clean properly and immediately after returning from a range trip. I use Windex followed by a water bottle full of water down the bore. Water on it's own works fine but recently I have been using it in conjunction with Windex just to make sure. Just make sure it's the regular Windex with the ammoniam and not the citrus or other fragrant types.

The ammonia and water nuteralize the salts in the bore from the corrosive primers. I just use water last to clear out the windex. After doing that procedure just patch it dry then go to town with Hoppes or whatever you like as a bore cleaner and finish with whatever CLP you like. Both Russia and China still make and issuse corrosive ammo for their sniper rifles.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Alright thanks for the help guys, I found some light ball Wolf to buy.  Expensive, but non-corrosive and better then surplus.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top