Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/26/2006 8:21:14 AM EDT
Where is a good source of 7.62x39 ammo that does not use steel?  It seems like a lot of the ammo I have come across so far uses copper jacketed steel bullets and/or steel cases.  Which manufacturers do not use steel?  Other than the in-person magnet test, is there a way to determine if ammo uses steel when purchasing over the internet?  If it does not indicate non-steel should I assume that it uses steel?

I am looking to purchase my first AK and would prefer to get one in 7.62.  However, my local indoor and outdoor ranges do not allow steel ammo and I would hate to buy a new toy that I can't actually use (if copper jacketed lead bullets are too hard to come by).  Plan B would be to purchase an AK chambered in .223 since I have plenty of "range friendly" ammo for my AR's.  Let me know if you have any opinions on .223 AK's as compared to 7.62 AK's too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
99% of it is steel jacketed.

Companies like Olympic, Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc. make copper jacketed ammo but it is usually expensive.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top