Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/17/2006 1:24:15 PM EDT
does any one know of any hunting ammo in 7.62x39(that will like expand if shot into a animal), and can you hunt deer with this? im sure you can its a 7.62
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Remington makes a 125 gr SP which works quite nicely, and I strongly recomend you load your own with Nosler 125 Ballistic tips.  Failing that, Norma makes one hot mother 123 or so grain Softpoint as well.  I've killed several deer and a 165 LB mtn lion with the 7.62X39, gotta love the little .30.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok cool, I have seen some softpoint Wolf and thats the only hunting ammo I have seen, im going to a local gunshop to look at some ammo types today

what gun did you hunt the deer and mtn lion with?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
frankly, i don't think the wolf 154 SP would do a half bad job on medium game.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
     I have never been deer hunting but I am either going to use a 7.62x39(sks) or a 7.62x54R(mosin nagant)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
i always liked the wolf 122 grain hollow point.  drops hogs very nicely.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Wolf 154g SP in a Siminov or Kalishnikov will do fine on deer. Several have been introduced to my freezer by just such a method.

I have handloaded some Hornady SPs (.310"dia.) in 7.62x39 which did about the same as Wolf. Good performance on deer.

I have loaded .308" diameter Nosler Ballastic Tips in 308win which have done FANTASTIC on deer.

I do like Nosler BTs.

If Nosler offers .310" diameter bullets I'd consider them to be an excellent prospect for a SKS or AK hunting load. The .308" bullets loaded in 762x39 for SKS/AKS usually are NOT very accurate. The same loads can be very accurate in the ole' Ruger Mini 30s that have the 308 type barrel diameter.

I would not use the HP round on game as its not really much of an expander in flesh. I don't know how they market it but it seems to me like a Sierra 168 HPBT hollow point, which is for ballastic coefficent or external ballastic performance and not internal (terminal) ballastic performance. In other words, it's designed primarily to go smoothly through the air as opposed to being designed for expanding upon impact. It may indeed expand somewhat, but I would not consider a Sierra 168g HPBT nor a Wolf 123g HP to be the best, ethical choice on game.

I'm sure several guys will say they've taken game with the Wolf HP. Shot placement is probably often more important than bullet selection. But, I will always choose to use a bullet that is designed for the purpose at hand.

I love to bowhunt and I've lost a few over the years, so whether gun or bow hunting, I try to do everything I can do not lose them. A large exit wound means supper on the plate.

FWIW
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top