Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 1:49:25 PM EDT
Hi guys,I`m on a limited budget and I noticed that harbor freight has a 6 ton a-frame shop press for $59.99 and they have a 20% of anything in the store sale until the 12th.I could foot the bill on this one today,but I`m wondering if 6 tons is enough to press out the barrel pin on my romy kit.....I`ve already broke my 4" bench vice trying to press it out that way.I`d hate to pay the 48 sale price for the 6 ton and it not be enough.
Thanks,
           Bossman
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one of the 6 tons about 3 months ago and so far it has pressed out three of the romy barrel pins. Just go slow!! And when it has alot of pressure on it and the pin will not give, leave it in the press for about 5 to 10 mins. Take a smoke break or a beer break and then get back after it. This has worked for me so far. I think the 12 would be better but on a budget the 6 will do it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:14:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Not on one I am currently working on.

I put everything in a 4" chinese drill press vise, supported it, and used a doweling pin as a push pin.  Wrapped everything with a piece of carpet and began pressing with a 12 ton press.  However, when it "broke"  the pin was still in tight and the vise was in pieces.

SRM
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Not on one I am currently working on.

I put everything in a 4" chinese drill press vise, supported it, and used a doweling pin as a push pin.  Wrapped everything with a piece of carpet and began pressing with a 12 ton press.  However, when it "broke"  the pin was still in tight and the vise was in pieces.

SRM

Carpet compresses unevenly, all ways go metal to metal on jobs with high force.

If you want to keep things from flying around after it breaks loose, lay the carpet on top and put some weight, like a chain on it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The carpet was used as a guard for flying pieces.  All contact was metal to metal.

SRM
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks a bundle imacbo......it worked! I printed the 20% off coupon from the other post about harbor freight and went down this afternoon and got one for $48! man that saved me some serious cash.
I also used the press to press out my barrel,I set the press on top of and between my washer and dryer with the barrel hanging in between the two,used a dime for a buffer and the thing pressed right on out.I`m totally stoked.
SRM,I fragged my chinese 4" vice trying the same method you did,broke the thing in half,you might want to try the 6 ton press,that is unless you have the cash for the 12 and feel safer with it.

I also snagged a set of bolt cutters while I was at HF,cant wait to grind those thing into a pair of rivet squeezers!
Now,my dilema......eubanks or armory U.S.A.?............
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry SRM,I misread your previous reply,you did use a 12 ton,why did you use a vice to hold it?
I had some dificulty in the beginning with my push pin leaving the scene at warp factor 9 after it slipped,skeered the caca out of me.I fixed the problem by using a very short pin,made from a 1/4" hex driver bit.I made sure it was square on each end by removing the little bevel that helps it find it`s way into a capscrew.I made darn sure the pin was pushing straight down and I slowly cranked up the pressure,didnt seem like it was going to give so I followed imacbo`s advice and let it sit,I had a beer and a cigarette then I put a cheater bar on the jack handle and gave it a couple more slow pumps.
POWWW!!! the sound made me jump,but the thing budged,a little more pressure and it came sliding on out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Bossman, what did you press against?  I can't tell from the pic what the black block is.
Thanks in advance,
Paul
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Paul,those are the two steel plates that come with the press.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks Bossman; I realized it after I went and bout=ght the press today :)  Assembling that was half the fun.  By the way, the Eubanks "sic" receiver looks excellent...hopefully fits as well as it looks.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top