Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/29/2011 7:11:46 AM EDT
I am in the market for a 5.45x39 rifle...

Anyone have any opinions on converting a Saiga vs. buying one of the recent Century Bulgarian builds?

I would love a Tantal but we all know that story...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#1]
You're much better off with a Saiga. That said, my buddy has a Century Bulgarian and so far it goes toe-to-toe with my Arsenal SGL-31. The test will be with barrel longevity. People say that the Century barrels can be shot out fairly quickly; my Russian barrel looks like brand new despite having several cases of 5.45x39 through it. I'll be able to make a better judgment when his round count is as high as mine. If you're just looking for a fun plinker, you'll be alright with either one.

If you go the Century route, you might as well swap out the furniture before you even shoot it. It gets ridiculously hot and smokes like crazy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the SAIGA!! You can convert it yourself and know it's done right. I'm sure the NDS receiver is just as good as the Saiga receiver, the barrel is another story.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#3]
lol this is no contest...Saiga > Century
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Avoid the Century 74's like the PLAGUE!!! Had one, it sucked BAD! Get the Saiga.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]

....Century = NO

One is a weapon designed/built in Russia - Built by a arms manufacturer

One is a weapon made by monkeys with hammers from surplus kits
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Talk me out of an SGL-31-94. $1100+, but I have to do it!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Talk me out of an SGL-31-94. $1100+, but I have to do it!

No i will not talk you out of it. Buy it
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
It's an 1100 dollar AK.
If that doesn't turn you off, it is a fine AK aside from the price.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
2k rds gone through my Century 5.45 399. special with 4 mags. I have done mag dumps and hard running and gunning. Still shoots 1 moa with 4 power scope. I love mine and it would not bother me to get another one. Saigas are nice too if you dont mind having to do the conversion.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
2k rds gone through my Century 5.45 399. special with 4 mags. I have done mag dumps and hard running and gunning. Still shoots 1 moa with 4 power scope. I love mine and it would not bother me to get another one. Saigas are nice too if you dont mind having to do the conversion.

The thing with getting a Saiga is that if you convert it properly, you're out as much as an Arsenal SGL-31, so either buy an Arsenal SGL-31, or a Century build. Apparently the barrel will last to at least 2,000 rounds. I'm at over 9k with my SGL-31 and the barrel/rifling look brand new.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish I had the time to put 9k rounds down the pipe of mine. I dont know how it will look in another 7k rds but it still looks new at 2k. So take it for what it is worth.

I do wonder how many barrels you could replace and still keep it under the price of a converted saiga or arsenal?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I would say saiga for the simple fact that It's a chrome lined barrel and a factory built gun...and I have a century 74...I plan on converting a saiga very soon...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#13]
yes the conversion costs with the initial investment of the rifle will be over $650 - 750.

Mine ran about $750 for a completed conversion that I did myself. I bought most parts from Dinzag and the rest on the EE or AKforums for sale section.

Just buy the SGL or if your buy the CAI, then buy a Bulgarian barrel for sale from copes when that barrel is toast. replace.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#14]
nvm
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You are grossly overpaying for an Arsenal....At least if you get a Century and have a problem with it Century will fix it, on the other hand Arsenal will NOT repair the junk that they overcharge for

you have a chip on your shoulder bro. get over it.

I've converted 3 saigas, they're fun to do. I recommend to everyone to do it at least once. And I mean a full conversion, not just the PG conversion.

I too own a Century 74. The 4-5 mahs I shot through it before I sent it to my smith to be converted to a folder shot on par with my Bulgy's and Russians. The only reason I bought the 74 was it was only $200, I got a steal of a deal on it.

IMO, if I were to buy any of these economy 74s, I'd buy them from Atlantic, they may be a tad more $ up front, but the security you get with buying from them cannot be beat.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are grossly overpaying for an Arsenal....At least if you get a Century and have a problem with it Century will fix it, on the other hand Arsenal will NOT repair the junk that they overcharge for

I've converted 3 saigas, they're fun to do. I recommend to everyone to do it at least once. And I mean a full conversion, not just the PG conversion.

I too own a Century 74. The 4-5 mahs I shot through it before I sent it to my smith to be converted to a folder shot on par with my Bulgy's and Russians. The only reason I bought the 74 was it was only $200, I got a steal of a deal on it.

IMO, if I were to buy any of these economy 74s, I'd buy them from Atlantic, they may be a tad more $ up front, but the security you get with buying from them cannot be beat.

Big +1 on converting the Saiga.....Matter of fact Nic there helped me on the phone mind you convert one over.....That was a fun weekend. The Century 74's are basically what you would expect them to be like any century product. I'm more of a sucker for a kit built gun but honestly converting a Saiga 5.45 really is a great deal as you have a real Russian 74 just in sport config.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wish I had the time to put 9k rounds down the pipe of mine

It doesn't take long
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#18]
To me, the initial cost of the Arsenal gun is minor compared to the shame and anguish you are likely to feel buying one of those Century AK-74's.  Sure occasionally someone gets a decent one, but the likelihood of getting a POS is just too high.  I'd rather have an unconverted Saiga than one of those Century guns. You have been warned about Century.  I had to relearn my lesson with them several times.

1) CETME out of spec receiver (mag well too low causing the bolt to ride over a full mag)
2) Yugo AK with out of spec receiver (too short ejector and crooked sights)
3) AK-74 #1 (crooked sights, rounds keyholing)
4) AK-74 #2 (Bolt raceway too tight causing functioning problems, alleviated somewhat with lapping compound)

I've learned my lesson by now hopefully.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one Of the century bulgys.  For the price, it is quite a rifle.  I'd agree with the poster above regarding it being competitive with the arsenal, and the test will be barrel durability.  My barrel shows no signs of wearing after about 1500 rds
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#20]
And I can put 30 out of 30 rds in a pop can at 100 yards.  No optic on it, and my vision isn't that great, so unless I gt a scope I can't make any definitive claims regarding accuracy
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Like I said I have no idea how many rds my barrel will take but at 2k it shoots and runs like a champ. I am very very happy with my 399 century ak. Its my go to gun. 100% reliable with 0 I say again 0 malfunctions.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one of the Century rifles and have not had a single problem out of it... it was a good buy for the money as far as I'm concerned. I also have three Arsenal rifles, all in 7.62 X 39. I would like to get an Arsenal SGL-31 one of these days, and probably will if they ever have a sale on them. Right now I just can't see paying $800+ for one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#23]
nvm
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1 on converting the Saiga.....Matter of fact Nic there helped me on the phone mind you convert one over.....That was a fun weekend. The Century 74's are basically what you would expect them to be like any century product. I'm more of a sucker for a kit built gun but honestly converting a Saiga 5.45 really is a great deal as you have a real Russian 74 just in sport config.

there is a difference in converting one yourself and buying one that arsenal converted
Not if you have the right tools.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top