Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/4/2002 9:27:37 AM EDT
I had fully intended to get an LEGP rifle in 5.45 if it was offered but lately I have been shopping around my usual ammo sources and I'm a little discouraged by the scarcity of ammo.
Also by the lack of selection. When I do find some they only seem to have one choice more often than not.
Meanwhile, we are all up to our armpits in a wide selection of 7.62x39 ammo.
I'm starting to think I might be better off with another thirty.
I just don't wanna be scrounging ammo in the future.
Valid concern or not?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Wolf and Barnaul HB seem to be the choices.......www.dansammo.com is where I go.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Hozer-
Dan's is a good example of what I'm finding. They offer one choice and it's out of stock.
Or am I managing to not find things at www.dansammo.com that are actually there?
(A very real possibility.)
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless there's import restrictions in the near future, my guess is that Wolf and Barnual will send more in for next year.

I agree though. Compared to 7.62x39, 5.45 choices are few and far between. 59 grain FMJ Barnual is my favorite load though. I think it's cleaner than Wolf. That may not be saying much though.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had several cases on back order from AIM for almost a month now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I know of one gun shop in the Seattle area that always has three different brands of 5.45 in stock. A few other shops I have been in have it more than periodically. All the gun shows I have been to have had vendors who carried it as well. Maybe the "shotrtage" has more to due with local demand rather than an actual lack of ammo.

Kyle
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the responses guys. What mostly concerns me is this-What if it gets worse in the future? With supplies being what they are now, it does not have to get MUCH worse for shelves to be empty.
I already have a couple guns in hard to find chamberings (tried to find any .221 Fireball lately?) and just don't wanna end up with a great rifle, as I'm sure the LEGP's will be, that has ammo supply problems.
Oh well, I just gotta decide whether I want to be a nervous nellie or take a little chance and try something new.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#8]
For ammo, I've always had good luck with Century.  They should have it in stock (5.45x39).

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#9]
don't believe the hype.
go with the 5.45
everyone said about 7.62x39 in the 80s,(that the ammo will dry up, or there will be problems. now it's like 22 rimfire, everywhere. just give it time,it's a relatively new round to the US, and it's here to stay. it's getting more and more common, the 5.45 is an AWESOME rifle, i love mine, (when the better half let me shoot it, as it's her fav.)
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wolf and Barnaul HB seem to be the choices

What kind of ammo is "HB"?

Link Posted: 9/4/2002 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The latest Shotgun News has a feature on the 'Ghengis' .21 AR upper (an 5.45 barrel and bolt on a AR upper). The article implies that someone will soon be manufacturing brass cased, Boxer primed 5.45. Anyone else heard this?
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the responses guys and thank YOU Campy for your kind offer to send me 5.45 ammo if I ever run low.
You are a real prince and I don't know why everybody around here keeps emailing me that you are so mean.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The latest Shotgun News has a feature on the 'Ghengis' .21 AR upper (an 5.45 barrel and bolt on a AR upper). The article implies that someone will soon be manufacturing brass cased, Boxer primed 5.45. Anyone else heard this?

yeah, i heard that too, it would be a worthwhile round to produce........
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#15]
HB is hard ball or full metal jacket and yes Campy is a mean old SOB....just ask DATHOR on the AKnet (hehe.)
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I think if somebody (ammo makers) would get off their duff and produce a domestic 5.45 round, it would be quite a performer.  I think the round has great ballistic potential.

Bradd
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top