Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:51:10 PM EDT
I have an AK74 brake that my friend made for me out of cold roll. He used a Bulgy AK74 brake to get all of the dimensions, and made it on the CNC machine. I ordered my threaded Romanian 22mm FSB from K-Var, and the only thing needed was to thread the brake itself.

I know absolutely jack squat about machining, threading, etc.  All I knew was that I needed a tap for 22x1.5mm right hand threads to get this project done.. I called MSC, and ordered a tap. I did not know the difference between a D3 tap and a D6 tap. (I do now.) The D6 tap that I ordered cuts deeper threads than the D3 and so is a little loose on my threaded FSB. With the break screwed in all the way on my FSB, even with the spring loaded detent pin in place, it has a slight wobble from side to side, or up and down. It is probably less than 1/32" of wobble.

My question is, can I use some sort of loctite to illeviate the wobble.Or, will it be okay to fire the rifle with the slightly wobble? I am sure I could use plumbers teflon tape to stop the wobble, but that would probably melt. What do you guys think I should do? The muzzle brake looks just like the Bulgarian AK-74 brake, and I can't wait to get it gunkoted and installed, and give it a try

Thanks as always for your input.

Herman

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:43:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Had the same wobble problem with my after-market muzzle brake(s) ,tried two solutions, Frist I used a belt grinder to remove a "very" little of the steel and making test fits each time   till with some torque I could turn the brake to the next detent tent and it tightened up with out the wobble. On the 2nd brake I made shim out of a "tin can" lid, used a sept drill bit(the one you see the gang on "American choppers" use all the time") to get a hole as near as possible to the muzzle diameter, went off to the hardwear store to find a bolt as near in size to the hole, with a nut and two washers to clamp the shim between them and ground the shim pretty close to the right and neatly rounded shape, you'll need to make a cut-out for the detent pin (what would I do without a demrile tool) . you can adjust the tickness of the shim by running it back and forth on a sheet of emery paper (it will also adjust the thickness of the skin on your finger-tips), also made  shims out of a aluminum lids, the aluminum has a crushable ability and gives a good fit. it's a lot of work for a such simple problem but I've far to much time on my hands.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You could use a little blue loctite on the threads.  That way you would not have to ues heat to remove the brake.

I am not sure how it is on others, but I have found many of the 14 mm x1 LH brakes to be loose and wobbly on the end of the barrel.  And that was on pre-84 mfg rifles.

The biggest trouble could be the bullet striking the brake if you had to much slop.  That would be a bad thing.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Mounted the Romanian FSB and Romanian comps from K-VAR on two SAR2's a while back. The point is that they both have minimal wobble like you discribe and it won't affect a thing. Have put approx 1000 rds total thru both rifles with nary a problem. 2-3" MOA @ 100yds.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:25:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys. The wobble is very slight.
I am going to use some blue loc-tite and not worry about it.

The slop in the brake is not enough to cause
a bullet to hit the brake.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Ya, lock-tight should do it, as for me I spent over 20 years in the ordnance field and that wobble just drove me nuts.h.gif
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Give it a shot!!!! WATCH for bullet strikes and wear eye protection. Good luck... posibility that you may have a loss of zero do to inconsistancies of the break.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
All of the factory muzzle devices that I've ever checked had noticable play in thier fit. It won't cause any problem- not much is precision fit on a Kalashnikov!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top