Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/2/2006 8:34:45 AM EDT
is there any difference besides weight, extra cost, and the extra work that needs to be dont to the trunions?

do they make them that much better?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
do they make them that much better?

Nope, use 1.0mm.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#2]
OK.

thats what i wanted to know!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I will take my 1.6mm. It is already built so I do not have to worry about fitting any thing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The 1.6mm was an excuse for a screw up.. No reason for the extra work..
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
 I disagree.  1.6mm is well worth the extra $$$.  for one it does not DENT as easily as a 1.0mm thin skinned reciever and certainly does not FLEX as much as a 1.0mm.  but hey it ur $$$,   do u like ur stuff over-engineered or barely making the cut???  hmmmmmmmm...............................  to me the 1.0mm AKs feel like cheap paperweights.  I'll take my 1.6mm & milled AKs thank you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Sure works for the Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Aren't the Ruskies AKs 1.6?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#8]
AK noob here..... I'm in the planning stages for my first build.

Aren't the 1.6 receivers the same inside width, just thicker on the overall width? I mean, standard trunnions don't have to be shaved down do they?

No Expet
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If you go global trade 1.6 (exterior dimension the same) yes you have to remove .6mm on both sides of the trunnion as well as the bolt carrier and thinning the top rail.  There is a blank out there (I forget who) that is 1.6 but the inside diemension is the same.  You will need to pick up longer trigger and hammer pins.

My first build was with a GT 1.6mm (that's all they built at the time and I didn't want OOW or Vulcan).  I just finish one with a GT 1mm and it's so much easier.  If your building go 1mm.  If your going to spend money and don't care get what you want.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I will never have another AK that is NOT a 1.6mm!  The difference is like night and day.  So much stiffer than the 1mm for sure and it makes for a more accurate firearm.  It is worth the bucks!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
it makes for a more accurate firearm.  

?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
?

The receiver does not "flex" as much as a 1mm receiver.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]

You will need to pick up longer trigger and hammer pins.

Who make those?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sure works for the Chinese.

Didn't the Chinese use the thicker recievers because their steel sucks?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]
To me it is like asking if you would like the foudation on your house extra strong or normal. There are lots of nice 1mm AKs out there but I prefer the beefier reciever.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#16]

do u like ur stuff over-engineered or barely making the cut??? hmmmmmmmm...............................

I'll take what the russians used for virtually the entire history of the AK. The milled receiver guns were only made for 8 years, everything since has been 1.0mm stamped receivers. The AKs reputation for reliabilty is BUILT on 1mm receivers, but if you want extra work or like spending extra money, get a 1.6mm.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

do u like ur stuff over-engineered or barely making the cut??? hmmmmmmmm...............................

I'll take what the russians used for virtually the entire history of the AK. The milled receiver guns were only made for 8 years, everything since has been 1.0mm stamped receivers. The AKs reputation for reliabilty is BUILT on 1mm receivers, but if you want extra work or like spending extra money, get a 1.6mm.

You notice most of the AK experts have abandoned this forum?  There are reasons.

I agree 100% with your response.  The only time I would have a 1.6 mm receiver is if I bought it on a rifle that was already built.  I bet Armory USA/Global Trades sell more 1.0mm receiver now that they are manufacturing the 1.0mm than they sell of their thicker 1.6mm receivers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone know the weight difference betwen a 1mm and 1.6mm gun?  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Russians seem to think that 1.0 was good to go for general issue..

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#20]
If you have a nicer kit that you intend to shoot a lot, get a 1.6mm. There is a difference in the feel of the action between the two receivers. If you're going to screw build a romie, use what ever is easiest, cheapest, and nearest at hand. If you want to be a Kalashna-schnob about your build, search the boards for a FEG receiver - otherwise your dimples will be just wrong. It's all good.

1 vote for 1.6mm here
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have never cycled the action or shot an AK with a 1.6mm, you can't really say it isn't worth it.  Just like the guys who say "get that SAW grip off of that AK", if you have never held an AK in your hand with a SAW grip on, you just don't have the right to say "remove it"!  And there is a big difference in the real FN grips than the TAPCO hard ass plastic one.  The real ones are made of a hard rubber that feels so much better in the hand than the copy. A little story here: the guy I get my "real" SAW grips from got an order from TAPCO for a couple of them.  In a month or so TAPCO was selling the hard ass SAW grip!  Just like most of the things in India, it got copied!

And to those that say a 1mm is just fine, I have worn one out folks.  The trigger and hammer holes became very elongated.  Granted that AK had about 10K rounds through it, but you can wear one out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
And to those that say a 1mm is just fine, I have worn one out folks.  The trigger and hammer holes became very elongated.  Granted that AK had about 10K rounds through it, but you can wear one out.

If you wore one out in 10,000 rounds, you did something very wrong.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'm guessing that the receiver you used wasn't heat treated.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#24]
gee wonder why they went to 1.6mm for their VEPR series guns....  obviously there was no need to goto 1.6mm....  would a VEPR be the same gun (1 of the best AKs made) if it were produced in 1.0mm???  I think NOT.

STRAIGHT FROM VEPR's WEBSITE:
"There are three basic types of Kalashnikov rifles on the market.  They are the AK47, AKM47, and the RPK (heavy duty receiver)."

"To handle the sustained automatic fire, the RPK was designed to be much stronger.  First, the sheet metal of the receiver of the RPK is 50% thicker than that of the AKM47" -ie 1.6mm

"the VEPR is based on the RPK.  This stiffer receiver makes for better accuracy and longer life.  This is why the VEPR is a better rifle than the those based on the AK."

Quoted:
Russians seem to think that 1.0 was good to go for general issue..

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#25]
dude face it.  I know a lot of you hate anything to do with chinese.  but the 1 thing the chinese did right is the AK, period.  1 of the best AKs, bar none.

Quoted:
Didn't the Chinese use the thicker recievers because their steel sucks?

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Tapeo1, I have no idea if it was heat treated or not as Century made it, it was a SAR1.  

We are not saying there is anything wrong with the 1mm AK's, they work fine, I own a WASR and plan to keep it.  We are just saying the 1.6mm's are better in the areas of flex, accuracy and longevity.  And if we choose to do the extra work or spend the extra bucks, it's our perogative to do so.  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top