Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2011 7:05:42 AM EDT
I really want one but they are rare and, hence, costly.  Companys are making AKs, I dont see why they wouldnt make Dragunovs (I understand theres a big difference but money talks).
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]

The only thing I can think of stopping domestic production would be start up cost...

Since there are not any parts kits coming in - that I am aware of, everything would have to be made by hand.
That would mean ALOT of engineering, machining and labor...since you had to manufacture every single part.

Here is link with more info

DRAGUNOV

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah and on top of that, how about some FAMAS, TAVOR's, SA80's and other shit we will probably never see. I wish lol
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I dont see why they wouldnt make Dragunovs (I understand theres a big difference but money talks).

Very expensive start up costs for a relatively small market for them.

Lack of parts available too.  Basically everything would have to be US made.  So they'd probably still cost in the $2k+ range.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I would rather have a Tigr or NDM-86 made in their perspective countries. If a company did produce U.S. made copies of an SVD type rifle. The market would be small and I imagine the price would be pretty high to cover the over head.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#5]
i wish someone would, but realistically it's probably not an attractive investment opportunity.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree that the cost of a US made Dragunov would be prohibitive.  You can still pick up a Russian Tiger for 24-2500 if you look. I got one reasonable and put an SVD stock set and flash hider on it. Very nice setup. You can get small parts and magazines but no parts kits. You can't even import the stocks now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:47:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Say what?!?!  Is this different from a standard Vepr?  Details. Details please.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In June we expect to see a small shipment of the Russian  Vepr Dragunov Style rifles in  762 x 54R probably priced around $1099.00 ish range.

Here is a pic I saw not to long ago.

Looks pretty badass

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#10]
What I don't understand is, why aren't there more parts kits available? Dragunovs and krinkovs for that matter. Why isn't there a company over there shipping this stuff to us?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

In June we expect to see a small shipment of the Russian  Vepr Dragunov Style rifles in  762 x 54R probably priced around $1099.00 ish range.

Now that would be something I would be interested in seeing.  Very cool.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#12]
SVD's have milled receivers. A VEPR would be a good alternative to a PSL or FPK.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What I don't understand is, why aren't there more parts kits available? Dragunovs and krinkovs for that matter. Why isn't there a company over there shipping this stuff to us?

Our state department (Ms. Hillary) cajoled the Russians into signing a trade agreement which prohibits them from importing the SVD or its major component parts. Makes no sense to me, I can buy  a Russian made AK74 but I cant buy a SVD because it is an "implement of war." The SVD was only made by a few countries, most notably the USSR and China. Chinese imports were banned by old brother Bill...
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our state department (Ms. Hillary) cajoled the Russians into signing a trade agreement which prohibits them from importing the SVD or its major component parts. Makes no sense to me, I can buy  a Russian made AK74 but I cant buy a SVD because it is an "implement of war." The SVD was only made by a few countries, most notably the USSR and China. Chinese imports were banned by old brother Bill...

In addition to this, SVDs and Krinks were never made in the numbers that regular AK's were.  Many countries outfitted entire armies with AK's, this isn't even remotely the case for the SVD or krinkov.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks pretty badass

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7852/veprvpo123.jpg

Quite a nice Vepr, and I want one, but I do not see it as Dragunov Style.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Can this VEPR use the PSL polymer stocks? That may make it look like a good PSL alternative, but Tigr or SVD it is not.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks pretty badass

I can dig it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I also have some questions that may fit this thread:

I understand there have been some bans on barrels and I have just learned of this SVD ban. Why doesn't russia build a "sporter" version of an SVD as they have done with the saigas. Is that possible? Are all of the parts on an SVD banned or just the complete gun? Lastly, when will someone be elected that has some common firearms sense?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I also have some questions that may fit this thread:

I understand there have been some bans on barrels and I have just learned of this SVD ban. Why doesn't russia build a "sporter" version of an SVD as they have done with the saigas. Is that possible? Are all of the parts on an SVD banned or just the complete gun? Lastly, when will someone be elected that has some common firearms sense?

The Tigr is a sporterized SVD. It's illegal to import as well. It's spelled out by name in a list of nonimportable firearms.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Saw a pre-ban NDM Norinco on one of the boards $4500.00 ..... THAT - is flat out insane ....

....especially when I can buy an Accuracy International in .308 for $400 more .....
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#22]
$4,500 is an insane price for an NDM-86, a KBI imported SVD is another story. Rifles that are no longer imported and imported in low numbers will increase in price over time. For example H&K 91/93's, AUG's, etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Saw a pre-ban NDM Norinco on one of the boards $4500.00 ..... THAT - is flat out insane ....

....especially when I can buy an Accuracy International in .308 for $400 more .....

It's supply and demand.  There aren't many NDMs at all in the country, and obviously a good number of guys want them.. so price goes up.  It's worth whatever people are willing to pay.

Everyone has different firearms they'd be willing to pay high prices for.  My NDM was $2800 and I'm fine with that.  But I'd never, ever pay that much for a bolt action rifle.  There are guys who pay ten grand for shotguns.. it all depends what you're into.  Whats crazy to you is just fine for someone else.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's not insane, it's a matter of market force.

Collectors items like these aren't measured on some kind of linear scale of dollars to accuracy ratio. If that were the case then we'd all buy Remington 700's and be done with it... because really, what can compete with a good ol 700 on a dollar for dollar basis, right?

I'm not sure why I see a lot of people object to the price and then immediately compare it to some western rifle as the better deal. With only a few thousand in the country and it being one of the most unique rifles in the world, do you think they should get cheaper as the years go by?

Z
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Alright so there's legislation banning the import of dragunov components. What about krinks?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks pretty badass

Is there any american made furniture that can interchange with this in the dragunov style?

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Alright so there's legislation banning the import of dragunov components. What about krinks?

No laws against krinks.  Krink kits are currently available from RGuns.  

You don't see many krink kits out there because only a couple countries actually produced them.  Russia, Bulgaria, and Yugoslavia.  They weren't made by the millions so less get surplused out as parts kits.  This is why the kits aren't as common as regular old AK kits.  Bulgaria and Yugoslavia are the only two countries I'm aware of who still make krinks.  Russia moved on years ago.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:09:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
$4,500 is an insane price for an NDM-86, a KBI imported SVD is another story. Rifles that are no longer imported and imported in low numbers will increase in price over time. For example H&K 91/93's, AUG's, etc.

NDM86s and SVDs are no longer imported and were imported in very low numbers and are increasing in price over time, but they dont count in your logic because––-?  And my NDM86 in 7.62x51 will shoot under 1/2" at 100meters with my handloads, which is all I will shoot out of it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#30]

I would think a "true" Soviet/Russian made SVD - in 7,62x54r would command a higher price...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NDM86s and SVDs are no longer imported and were imported in very low numbers and are increasing in price over time, but they dont count in your logic because––-?  And my NDM86 in 7.62x51 will shoot under 1/2" at 100meters with my handloads, which is all I will shoot out of it.

I think he just means that currently the going rate for an NDM86 isn't at $4,500 yet.  The NDMs listed at that price aren't selling.  $2500-3500 seems to be the NDM going rate.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#32]
With the current admin it's a pipe dream but from my understanding and if I'm wrong correct me the treaty with Russia is only voluntary? If so I would think if Russia can make a few more bucks they would start importing more?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
With the current admin it's a pipe dream but from my understanding and if I'm wrong correct me the treaty with Russia is only voluntary? If so I would think if Russia can make a few more bucks they would start importing more?

I believe they value their current, profitable arrangement with the US much more than making just a little quick money off some old rifles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think he just means that currently the going rate for an NDM86 isn't at $4,500 yet.  The NDMs listed at that price aren't selling.  $2500-3500 seems to be the NDM going rate.

Check GB, 2 or 3 NDM's in 54R have sold in the past month or so for $4300+, and 3 NDM's in 308 have sold for $3100-3600.

Double or triple that for a true KBI SVD...

54R for $4500 http://www.icollector.com/Chinese-Norinco-NDM-86-Semi-Automatic-Rifle-with-Scope-Box-and-Accessories_i10103827

54R for $4375 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=225781660

308 for $3200 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=220352557

308 for $3500 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222378535

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check GB, 2 or 3 NDM's in 54R have sold in the past month or so for $4300+, and 3 NDM's in 308 have sold for $3100-3600.

Double or triple that for a true KBI SVD...

54R for $4500 http://www.icollector.com/Chinese-Norinco-NDM-86-Semi-Automatic-Rifle-with-Scope-Box-and-Accessories_i10103827

54R for $4375 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=225781660

308 for $3200 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=220352557

308 for $3500 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222378535

Whoa, they've jumped since I last looked.  Getting kinda crazy.  But then again, thats why I bought mine when I did... I realized the prices were just steadily going up up and up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:20:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe they value their current, profitable arrangement with the US much more than making just a little quick money off some old rifles.

Correct. Voluntary from the Russian side, because of US pressure. I doubt there is much money to be made and therefore little incentive for the Russians. Besides, if a Russian stamped AK-74 sells for 750 or more here, I dont see an SVD selling for 1100... I'd say if you want one, cough up the money and buy a Tigr and convert it over.You can buy the flash hiders here, the hard thing to find is the stocks for some reason. (BTW I have an extra furniture set if anyone needs it lol).
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Voluntary from the Russian side, because of US pressure. I doubt there is much money to be made and therefore little incentive for the Russians. Besides, if a Russian stamped AK-74 sells for 750 or more here, I dont see an SVD selling for 1100... I'd say if you want one, cough up the money and buy a Tigr and convert it over.You can buy the flash hiders here, the hard thing to find is the stocks for some reason. (BTW I have an extra furniture set if anyone needs it lol).

Oleg w/RusMilitary has a preorder on the stock sets which will be in stock inside of 2 weeks, I ordered 3 sets of the black plastic setups. He also has Laminate sets for preorder which will arrive in June.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oleg w/RusMilitary has a preorder on the stock sets which will be in stock inside of 2 weeks, I ordered 3 sets of the black plastic setups. He also has Laminate sets for preorder which will arrive in June.

I think one will find them cheaper down the road in a bit of time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think one will find them cheaper down the road in a bit of time.

True, I needed a few sets, it cost me $195 per set and the shipping on all 3 wasn't bad. Compared to my first set I bought off GB for $300 I am happy w/the current price reduction, now I just need to get em'...

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#40]
I also wonder about places like Bulgaria....C'mon you cant tell me some svds' didn't make it there?

Still have a Russian Tula kit waiting to be built that came out of Bulgaria.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Yugo M91 would be awesome as well, but from what I've seen don't count on it

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#42]
........and to think CDNN had crates of these NDM86 for around $1700 just a handful years ago.
It is all demand and supply driving the prices up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#43]
yeah, Tigr builds some great looking sportster type rifles, its a shame we can't get them...but we do get lots of other things that I can't afford so...for all it matters...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I saw a actual Dragunov iraq capture for sale on Gunbroker, 10,000

The story was that it was traded to a guy from the Army's collection for some rare WW1 memorabilia.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top