User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/3/2009 6:43:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
That actually looks pretty nice.  Thanks for the review.  How much will these be retailing for?
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the review, Ron.  Much appreciated.

What will be the retail price on these again?  If someone was looking to get into a milled AK, it might be a good deal.  Particularly if Century is contracting out the build, which I believe they are?

It's definitely unique.  Would love to hear the history behind these.  Would also be interested in hearing how these compare to some of the other sub-$800 milled AK's that have hit the market recently.

P.S.  Can someone educate me?  Who is "ATM"?  Seems like I've seen that name before on receivers, but I am not familiar with them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I feel tempted to buy one, but afraid I'll get a dud like I did with my yugo, but I guess if HD is selling them, there won't be a problem. Century park jobs aren't that durable usually.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, that actually looks pretty good.  Tempting...
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
yes it does look nice..I like the multiple rivet pattern in the stock and for a milled polish 47.great price..
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
When do you anticipate these rifles being available?
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
These weapons were subcontracted by Century and NOT built in house but I don't know who ATM is. The parkerizing is very nice and not splotchy or uneven. Our price on the rifle is $695.

As for less expensive milled AK's, I didn't know there where others this cheap.

thanks,
Ron

Hmmm...I'd be interested if anyone knows anything about ATM.  Quality receivers?

I recently saw another milled AK for $799.  Not quite as cheap, and not Polish.  I LOVE Polish AK's!  They make (made?) some of the best.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice looking rifle. Now when will they learn to stop marking up the sides of the receivers and put them underneath in front of the mag well?!
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm guessing the barrels are not polish correct? Also, why do they always replace the trigger with a tapco one? If they wanted compliance parts they could just buy a tapco magazine instead.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing the barrels are not polish correct? Also, why do they always replace the trigger with a tapco one? If they wanted compliance parts they could just buy a tapco magazine instead.

IMHO, the Tapco trigger is one of the best triggers out there. The only other triggers that I can think of that are just a bit higher in quality were the trigger installed in Norinco's and Polytech's. Besides, I don't think you will find many folks who would take a Tapco magazine over a factory military magazine.

thanks,
Ron

I don't trust American companies with anything AK related. If anything would go wrong, I'd rather it be with the magazine then the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmmm... Me likey.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#16]
very nice, but like stated above, markings would be best on the bottom. Also, what do we know about the barrels?
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#17]
The most common reliability issue with semi-autos of all designs can most often be traced to mags.  Original mil-surp mags are well proven and very reliable.  The same can't be said of the crapco mags.  While I would prefer forged FCG parts over MIM parts I'd still take the G2 FCG over the Tapco mags any day of the week if I needed the compliance parts.  With US FCG parts you are legal with any mag that's put in the gun.  If you use the mags to meet compliance you're stuck with aftermarket mags forever.

On a milled receiver Ak, and assuming the barrel and slant brake are both US made, you only need two more US parts to make it legally a US built rifle.  The trigger and disco is all that's needed so you can retain the original piston, furniture and mags.

I do agree about the marking location.  Still a nice looking rifle though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Is the barrel chrome lined?

Is it an original Polish barrel, or is it U.S. manufactured?
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn those lightening cuts...
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The most common reliability issue with semi-autos of all designs can most often be traced to mags.  Original mil-surp mags are well proven and very reliable.  The same can't be said of the crapco mags.  While I would prefer forged FCG parts over MIM parts I'd still take the G2 FCG over the Tapco mags any day of the week if I needed the compliance parts.  With US FCG parts you are legal with any mag that's put in the gun.  If you use the mags to meet compliance you're stuck with aftermarket mags forever.

On a milled receiver Ak, and assuming the barrel and slant brake are both US made, you only need two more US parts to make it legally a US built rifle.  The trigger and disco is all that's needed so you can retain the original piston, furniture and mags.

Geez, if the mags are that bad, I wonder what that says about some of their triggers? It's not Century's problem if you are stuck with aftermarket mags.

Link Posted: 12/3/2009 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder how that would look with Russian furniture...
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree. Ouch !!!  

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 2:37:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Geez, if the mags are that bad, I wonder what that says about some of their triggers?

There are thousands of G2 fcgs in use. There was one batch with a manufacturing defect that was recalled. Other than that, no one has ever reported a problem involving the G2 fcgs.
That says more about the fcg than the magazines.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 3:25:59 AM EDT
[#24]
yeah what's up w/the circle/swirl marks???
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Ouch !!!  

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 4:28:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 4:32:16 AM EDT
[#27]
That looks nice.  Pretty good price considering other milled options.  I will have to make note for santa.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 4:35:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't know about you guys but i'll be getting one.   Taking pre-orders?
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 4:58:02 AM EDT
[#29]
it would have been nice to put the manufacturer info on the bottom of the rec. like nodak does. century just doesn't give a hoot.  also, to go this far on a milled clone and then put S F instead of the polish markings is a downer also.  the up side is that if the barrels are good, the price is right.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#30]
About $100 too high for me but I really like that furniture, the mismatched look gives it some serious 'tude
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
About $100 too high for me

Do tell, where you've found milled rifles of similar quality for 100 bucks less.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Geez, if the mags are that bad, I wonder what that says about some of their triggers? It's not Century's problem if you are stuck with aftermarket mags.

Tapco aside and just speaking of magazine fed semi-autos in general, the world is FULL of crap magazines.  Magazines cause the majority of reliability and feeding issues in most semi-auto firearms.  I've experienced this simple fact in all sorts of firearms over many years.  As a result I'm particular about what brand of mags I will use in my guns.  For AKs I'll stick to the many good, available mil-surp mags.

While I have had, and seen, many mag related failures, I've never personally experienced, or even seen, a failure attributed to a FCG of any weapon.

If you really want both the original FCG and mags then just swap out the gas piston and PG.

You are right though, it's not Centrury's problem... it's not mine either...  because I set all of my guns up to use the best mags I can get and these don't include aftermarket, IMO.

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do tell, where you've found milled rifles of similar quality for 100 bucks less.

The EE fro time to time
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The EE fro time to time

+1 and just shopping around in general, private sellers at gun shows usually are a good bargain
Idk maybe its just the name associated with it but I bought a brand new Mak90 last year for $750, and I know its a whole different ball park with the Mak being a ban version, I even thought that was a little high, and I'm not saying that one is superior or inferior to the other but its a Norinco and I have a little more faith in what they do. I'm not ruling this rifle out but it being a Century, albeit a subcontracted one and considering that I could get a NIB Norinco for only $50 more I would just like to see it a lil cheaper, maybe even $50 cheaper
Who knows, maybe I jumped the gun on that comment but if it keeps getting positive reviews and I find out more information about the barrel I might change my tune, I guess its just a little early for me to make a decision on this rifle
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Cosmetics aside , the price seems fair.

Keep in mind it's obviously not a "replica" , just a sort of "retro" shooter.

Would like to know more details on the barrel and such.
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Would like to know more details on the barrel and such.

Me too.

Link Posted: 12/5/2009 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#38]
The receiver says Fridley Mn.  Is that anywhere near South Saint Paul, MN or Inver Grove Heights, MN?  The Minnesota Secretary of State's website won't allow a search on the owner's name and doesn't show a business named ATM in Fridley MN.
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The receiver says Fridley Mn.  Is that anywhere near South Saint Paul, MN or Inver Grove Heights, MN?  The Minnesota Secretary of State's website won't allow a search on the owner's name and doesn't show a business named ATM in Fridley MN.

Map

Link Posted: 12/5/2009 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Map

Same area as Blackthrone.
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Map

oh good god, please tell me you are joking

I'll PASS on this rifle if they made the receiver
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Map

What's the deal with the company in question?
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Map

What's the deal with the company in question?

Hesse.
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, if the Fridley address is just a smoke and mirrors show, you have three receiver builders in the immediate area.

Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne in South St. Paul, NDS in Edina, and DCI in Blaine.  DCI is the closest geographically, just 6 miles up the road.

Just speculating...
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well, if the Fridley address is just a smoke and mirrors show, you have three receiver builders in the immediate area.

Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne in South St. Paul, NDS in Edina, and DCI in Blaine.  DCI is the closest geographically, just 6 miles up the road.

Just speculating...

Edina and fridley are a long ways from each other, sounds like these are hesse/blackthorn receivers. If they are expect heat treat issues.
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just speculating...

Exactly just speculating no one knows for certain.  I didn't think about dci, but that would make more sense.  DCI did make a nice fal receiver so they certainly could make a good AK receiver.
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Any way to find out for sure who makes these receivers/builds for Century?
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just speculating...

Exactly just speculating no one knows for certain.  I didn't think about dci, but that would make more sense.  DCI did make a nice fal receiver so they certainly could make a good AK receiver.

I thought DCI and NDS were one and the same, no?
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
NDS is no longer part of DCI

As far as those barrels go, I am guessing they could be factory Polish, Century had a boatload of these rifles before the barrel ban was placed and took effect.

Not if they are not chrome lined.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top