Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/1/2005 5:04:19 PM EDT
Guys, the new "barrel ban law" has forced my hand in building an AK.  I've done the Fals and AR's and was always meaning to build the AK, but I never got around to it.  My only experience with them is the P-O-S WASR I had for a while.  My question is one of both price and ease of assembly.  If you were to build one now, what type of kit would you get? From who?  What about the receiver? and how easy would it be to assemble.  I like the folders, but not an absolute necessity.  Thanks in advance for everyones help.    
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Kits are still plentiful.  As a first build, I would suggest you post in your hometown forum and see if anyone has the tooling and jigs already.  It really makes it easier if someone helps you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Kits are still plentiful.  As a first build, I would suggest you post in your hometown forum and see if anyone has the tooling and jigs already.  It really makes it easier if someone helps you.

I can attest to that!  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the answers guys, but I still am looking for that balance between the easiest assembly as well as priceing in a kit.  I've built FAL's, AR's, Mausers, and a 1911, so I'm not worried about building the AK.  I'm just out of the game when it comes to major stuff like welding and milling.  If it can't be built with a drill press, dremel, and a hydraulic press, then I can't do it.  So, I'll ask again.  What is the best kit on these parameters and where should I get that and which mating receiver?  Thanks again everyone.    
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Read, read, read.  Go to all the other forums, Gunco.net, Warrifles, Falfiles.  Check out the home builders forums.  I started in April and just finished my first build last week.  I started out to do a screw build, but ended up doing a rivet build.  Doing a real "build" would be an 80% receiver, not really for a first timer.  I suggest using a Global 100%, I did and was happy with the end result.  Next for me will be bending flats, then a Cold steel for a Yugo.  A word of caution!  You'll get addicted to this stuff, watch out for the dark side.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]
They are building AK's with less tooling in caves.  Sure you can build one with the tools you have.  With a drill press and a dremel, you can do all your holes and any milling needed.  With a press, you will still need someway to rivet it together and a flat bending jig if you go that route.  If you build off a completed receiever, then you are already golden, except a way to rivet.

You should still post up in your hometown forum.  I am sure that someone local to you has all the tooling you need and wouldn't mind helping you build one up.  If you are not a people person or a recluse, you can do it by yourself all the same.  A riveting jig will run you between $50 - $150.   I don't recommend screw builds, but it is your rifle..

LB
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
on kits, I would opt for a Romanian kit.  Several sources have them for sub $100 shipped.  Depending the build route you go, you could have a working rifle for something near $200 or less.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Romy Kit build is a good starter.  You're total cost of production is about $280.00.

Kit  from DPHARMS  99.99 + 15 shipping
Fire Control Group from Midwest Armory - $31.00
Receiver from www.globaltraders.com  60. + 8 for parkerizing+ 12 for shipping =80
FFL to transfer the receiver to you  his fee + background check = $30.00
Pistol Grip USA made $15.00
Rivets - wow, that's a whole tread in itself, just figure $10.00.

Choose ONE of the below for your needed 6th US part.
Usa made piston  Midwestarmory 18+shipping = $22
Mag Follower plate from Tapco = $5.00 + or -
Slant muzzel brake from Global = $16.00

Ok, add it up, buy it up then find some new gun build friends to help you.   good luck, it's a blast!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Romy Kit build is a good starter.  You're total cost of production is about $280.00.

Kit  from DPHARMS  99.99 + 15 shipping
Fire Control Group from Midwest Armory - $31.00
Receiver from www.globaltraders.com  60. + 8 for parkerizing+ 12 for shipping =80
FFL to transfer the receiver to you  his fee + background check = $30.00

Receiver Flat w/Rails  $15
Pistol Grip USA made $15.00
Rivets - wow, that's a whole tread in itself, just figure $10.00.

Choose ONE of the below for your needed 6th US part.
Usa made piston  Midwestarmory 18+shipping = $22
Mag Follower plate from Tapco = $5.00 + or -
Slant muzzel brake from Global = $16.00

Ok, add it up, buy it up then find some new gun build friends to help you.   good luck, it's a blast!

Fixed it for you..

or..

ORF Piss Poor Polish underfolder kit - $29 (after I sold off the chinese underfolder)
DPH flat w/Rails - $12  (Gunco special, as I bought a bunch, I won't include shipping)
POS Century Compliance Kit  - $29 (funshow find)
Rivets  - $4  (1Pat GroupBuy)
Underfolding stock  - a gift from a new friend I help build an AK pistol (still don't understand AK pistols)
2nd set of Rivets  - $4 (see above, he didn't have rivets so I gave him some)

So that gives me a grand total of $78 for a polish underfolder.  Granted, it has a barrel that has seen better days.

Have fun and....
GO TO YOUR HOMETOWN FORUM AND MAKE A FRIEND
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]
How about this Longboat?

$29 AMD-65 kit (sold the folder for $30)
$42 pistol rear block
$6 rivets
$0 for compliance parts
= $77 AMD pistol! (I wish I would have known that for another $1 I could have had an underfolder.LOL)

Of course you would need to have been around for the $59 AMD65 kits!  How I wish I had bought 100 of them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I know what you mean DS..  Hind sight is far better than 20/20.  I would have stockpiled the polish kits when they were under $150.  I really like them much more than the AMDs

I feel cheated now.  With the current kit situation, I doubt I will be able to beat your $77 build.  I would have to do a bunch of trading, I might be able to do it.....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
on kits, I would opt for a Romanian kit.  Several sources have them for sub $100 shipped.  Depending the build route you go, you could have a working rifle for something near $200 or less.

I paid 113$ for a kit shipped, you could get a B grade kit with dented wood for less with shipping, probably around 104$.

ben
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Double post! Arr!

Ben
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I have my Romy $99 kit on the way.

So I do need a fire control kit definately?  And $31 is the cheapest?

I'm totally new at this, all I have built is an AR lower.  

I'm excited, hopefully I won't spend more than what you can buy a new WASR for.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you need the replacement FCA?  No, but it is one of the cheapest ways to get 3 compliance parts.  Your call.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have my Romy $99 kit on the way.

So I do need a fire control kit definately?  And $31 is the cheapest?

I'm totally new at this, all I have built is an AR lower.  

I'm excited, hopefully I won't spend more than what you can buy a new WASR for.

midwest armory has some for sale for 26 right now.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top